Nokia Lumia 1520: A Hate Story

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey Folks...

Having used this for 10 days...all I can say is the more I use Lumia 1520, the more I hate it. Nokia & Microsoft need to understand that they just cant sell phones based on hardware itself. Features like privacy on Toast notifications, volumes control on player, folder play in music are necessary and make user feel at home.
Sadly, they not only lag far behind in apps but in providing favorable user interface with applications as well. We don't only need screens and battery, but basic settings that make life easier.

Few negative aspects of Lumia 1520..or as a matter of fact....all Windows device- (I have excluded those issues that will be rectified to some extent in windows 8.1 official update.)

1. No folder wise music play and on top of that, no search option to get to your favorite song.
2. No Volume control either on music player or in Video player.
3. You cannot drag the bar to FW or RW a song or video.
4. No option to hide the toast notifications that crop up everytime a message arrives killing your privacy and also the screen comes alive. I have seen threads, where people negated notifications lights on other devices getting them irritated every now and then. But atleast, there is only blinking light and the screen wouldn't come alive. Besides, that notification will come in background, thereby not affecting your current work and respecting your privacy (You have the options for these in Android and iOS).
5. No separate volume control for ringtones and media players. One will have to adjust it everytime while switching applications.
6. No option to sort the videos list date wise. I know one will have applications in store for these things but isn't it obvious that stock players shall come with these basic features.
7. No inbuilt equalizer in the music player. You will have to go to different settings for that. Now isn't this pathetic and tidy. This is basic requirement for any music player.
8. No option to set a downloaded application as default application for a particular task, for which it was downloaded. For e.g. even if you download a different browser, any link in any message will only open in the Internet explorer.
9. Too sensitive screen which opens applications even when you were just scrolling past it.
10. No smart dialing. You need to go to People everytime you search for a contact.
11. Call history only displays name and not number. If you have saved multiple nos for same person, you will have to open every call history to see what no you called.
Plus there are plenty other small glitches as well, a presence of which would have made your life easier using the phone.

MS will have to understand the concept of selling mobile and have to bring in newer brain heads that will think in that direction, MINUTELY. I cannot ask a bike mechanic to work on a car thinking that they both are just engines and are used for transport.
Every small details needs to be paid attention to. They are late with updates and launches and still when they are out, they miss these basic functionalities. I guess they are too busy tightening their security on the OS, but they will have to realize, if there are no users they will have nothing to protect.

sudhisoma

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I think you are still on WP8. Dont worry, most of the problems that you have pointed out have been addressed in Windows Phone 8.1 :) So just wait for the update to roll out or else if you would like the update immediately then you can install the developer preview which is pretty stable!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think you are still on WP8. Dont worry, most of the problems that you have pointed out have been addressed in Windows Phone 8.1 :) So just wait for the update to roll out or else if you would like the update immediately then you can install the developer preview which is pretty stable!

You could make their life easier and supply links. However, I don't think it will address all the issues the OP has with WP.

Windows Phone 8.1 Features | Windows Phone Central

Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers is now live | Windows Phone Central

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
2. You can in Windows Phone 8.1
3. You can in Windows Phone 8.1
4. You can in Windows Phone 8.1
5. You can in Windows Phone 8.1
6. Sort order for photos/videos is datewise in Windows Phone 8.1
7. Not sure why you'd want this
9. Known issue with the 1520. We're hoping it's fixed in the next firmware
10. Quick dial is there for voice dialling (e.g. "Call speed dial 1"). You can pin contacts or contact groups to the start menu. There's no need to search for contacts.

It's a pretty simple thing to get something new and list things we don't like about it. The issue that Microsoft (and other manufacturers) have is that it's impossible to create systems that offers every feature to make all of their users happy - you'd end up with a horrible mess of settings and performance would take a nose-dive from features enabled that people don't want.

This is why Microsoft created the uservoice site - so that users can describe and vote for the features they want. Microsoft have added features to WP8.0 and WP8.1 based on that feedback.

Android has a more open system, but has it's risks in terms of stability and performance (not to mention security). You have a choice about what way to go.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Asking for fixes or how tos to your problem would have been fine, but the long speech at the bottom was utterly unnecessary. Also, this is WPcentral, did you miss all the WP8.1 threads and posts

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Asking for fixes or how tos to your problem would have been fine, but the long speech at the bottom was utterly unnecessary. Also, this is WPcentral, did you miss all the WP8.1 threads and posts

I don't fully disagree with their assessment of WP or MS. WP was a very basic OS with WP8 and WP8.1 is better but not fantastic. Everyone has an opinion, whether we like them or not this is the reality of what people think of when they come to WP. Many handsets are still being sold with WP8 on them. Add in the missing games or apps and you start to see this issues. We can all shut our eyes and hope things go away but reality is WP is still not up to scratch in a lot of ways. It's getting better and we've all been patient, however there will always be those who want it now, not whenever. Waiting and possibly not getting is always an issue with WP at this current stage. We've also lost support from some devs so it's not all roses and no I'm not being negative for the sake of it. I'm just being realistic. MS is in a competitive market. People choose what ecosystem they want to be on based on many things. Either WP gets what it needs or it will be a lost cause. We can talk about marathons till we're blue in the face but how long does a company keep a product that only has a 3% user base? I won't get into the issues that it has with being very US focused either.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't fully disagree with their assessment of WP or MS. WP was a very basic OS with WP8 and WP8.1 is better but not fantastic. Everyone has an opinion, whether we like them or not this is the reality of what people think of when they come to WP. Many handsets are still being sold with WP8 on them. Add in the missing games or apps and you start to see this issues. We can all shut our eyes and hope things go away but reality is WP is still not up to scratch in a lot of ways. It's getting better and we've all been patient, however there will always be those who want it now, not whenever. Waiting and possibly not getting is always an issue with WP at this current stage. We've also lost support from some devs so it's not all roses and no I'm not being negative for the sake of it. I'm just being realistic. MS is in a competitive market. People choose what ecosystem they want to be on based on many things. Either WP gets what it needs or it will be a lost cause. We can talk about marathons till we're blue in the face but how long does a company keep a product that only has a 3% user base? I won't get into the issues that it has with being very US focused either.
You're right. US focused though? Where's the US 64GB 1020 or the US 32GB 925. Heck where's the 930, 625, 720 in the US. China gets a 630 with 1GB of ram. And GDR1 is in a month. I think they are listening. So I'll watch and wait

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
No matter how bad it is..I am not going back to Lag-droid. I have suffered heavily on its slow performance. Windows was a new approach and maybe 5 years of Android use made me expect if not more, then at par with it.
But things do take time and I would like to give MS that time, may be an year or so to make me feel that the decision to switch to windows was genuine (in the long run).

For the equalizer part, I keep changing the headphone/earphones and thus need that setting frequently.

But one thing that i desperately need from MS is to view music files in folders or provide Poweramp player in store along with MX player for videos.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Since I am new to windows and to this thread as well, I am still getting a hang around of how stuff works.
Besides, that para in the end was in the hope that someone from MS will be reading it and may be work towards the psychology of such needs.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Cant agree more on that...The race is not endless..if you want to retain a great share of smartphones market, you will have not only have to run, but overtake as well.. and with the speed updates and flagships are being released by MS, it seems a remote possibility with gaps widening each day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You're right. US focused though? Where's the US 64GB 1020 or the US 32GB 925. Heck where's the 930, 625, 720 in the US. China gets a 630 with 1GB of ram. And GDR1 is in a month. I think they are listening. So I'll watch and wait

I meant with their services. Both Google and Apple have good world wide services. MS, not so much. MS wants people to use Bing and Maps but both are not up to scratch in parts of the EU let alone other countries. Let's not even talk about Bing rewards, which isn't outside North America, I think. There's a lot of differences in the US market compared to the rest of the world on WP, even though their market share in other countries is higher. That's what I was referring to with their US focus. I'm not saying both Google and Apple don't do more for the US but at least their services are decent in other countries. MS has a very long way to go.

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I meant with their services. Both Google and Apple have good world wide services. MS, not so much. MS wants people to use Bing and Maps but both are not up to scratch in parts of the EU let alone other countries. Let's not even talk about Bing rewards, which isn't outside North America, I think. There's a lot of differences in the US market compared to the rest of the world on WP, even though their market share in other countries is higher. That's what I was referring to with their US focus. I'm not saying both Google and Apple don't do more for the US but at least their services are decent in other countries. MS has a very long way to go.

I can agree with the services,and I personally think that MS have had enough time to optimize features like Bing Rewards for other countries. I'm an active Xbox Rewards member and would love to join the Bing Rewards as well, but no such love in the EU. And about WP, I'm guessing Cortana will never arrive natively here in Sweden. Not even TellMe worked here, and WM6.5.x didn't have it either. TTS, Speech to text or any voice service rarely work in Sweden at all to be honest.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Since I am new to windows and to this thread as well, I am still getting a hang around of how stuff works.
Besides, that para in the end was in the hope that someone from MS will be reading it and may be work towards the psychology of such needs.
That's ok. I apologize

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can agree with the services,and I personally think that MS have had enough time to optimize features like Bing Rewards for other countries. I'm an active Xbox Rewards member and would love to join the Bing Rewards as well, but no such love in the EU. And about WP, I'm guessing Cortana will never arrive natively here in Sweden. Not even TellMe worked here, and WM6.5.x didn't have it either. TTS, Speech to text or any voice service rarely work in Sweden at all to be honest.

I'm in the UK and we don't have Bing rewards either. I can't wait to see how Cortana handles a thick Scottish accent.... Or a geordie or a Cockney.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly..No need for that apology..I didn't felt offended...but appreciate that honest remark..!!!

Your original rant was just that - you want Windows Phone to improve ? , yet you rant on here, for others to read.

Windows Phone is in dynamic equilibrium, currently. On another forum I read, there are 2-3 posters doing exactly what you did (trolls), but NOT having benefit of trying Windows Phone, simply regurgitating what they've read.

The OS needs more adoption, for more app developers to code apps for it, for more adoption (get it - dynamic equilibrium). The naysayers spout this rhetoric (usually unfounded - most of your points were) and users researching the OS will latch on to the negatives. Are there issues which need to be resolved ? - as with any OS there are.

Microsoft - YES, they need to catchup quicker, but with WinPhone 8.1 they are almost there. With rumored feature upgrades (WP 8.1 GDR1) the turnaround s/b all but complete - then they can explore the standout features (3D touch ?) which will set the OS apart. They ran with what they had. Nokia produces excellent imaging devices, so if your camera is important, you tried a Nokia WinPhone. This is in a constant state of FLUX (the dynamic equilibrium, again) and if you know the recent history of Android, MS is a bit ahead of where Android Dev was in their beginning lifecycle.

Given time, Windows Phone WILL develop into a contender (as long as MS continues their full support). If Android were to experience a major security breach (matter of when, not IF) the Windows Phone OS might see a surge in uptake - but, for now Android is potentially unsecure, but 70% of the market can't be wrong - or can they ? Only time will tell ...

Your issues can be more constructively utilized - there is a page on the Windows Phone marketplace, where users can suggest features / improvements. These are then voted on by other users, with MS addressing the most popular..
... and, remember ... NO perfect phone, just perfect for you (& your use case).

peace

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Your original rant was just that - you want Windows Phone to improve ? , yet you rant on here, for others to read.

Windows Phone is in dynamic equilibrium, currently. On another forum I read, there are 2-3 posters doing exactly what you did (trolls), but NOT having benefit of trying Windows Phone, simply regurgitating what they've read.

The OS needs more adoption, for more app developers to code apps for it, for more adoption (get it - dynamic equilibrium). The naysayers spout this rhetoric (usually unfounded - most of your points were) and users researching the OS will latch on to the negatives. Are there issues which need to be resolved ? - as with any OS there are.

Microsoft - YES, they need to catchup quicker, but with WinPhone 8.1 they are almost there. With rumored feature upgrades (WP 8.1 GDR1) the turnaround s/b all but complete - then they can explore the standout features (3D touch ?) which will set the OS apart. They ran with what they had. Nokia produces excellent imaging devices, so if your camera is important, you tried a Nokia WinPhone. This is in a constant state of FLUX (the dynamic equilibrium, again) and if you know the recent history of Android, MS is a bit ahead of where Android Dev was in their beginning lifecycle.

Given time, Windows Phone WILL develop into a contender (as long as MS continues their full support). If Android were to experience a major security breach (matter of when, not IF) the Windows Phone OS might see a surge in uptake - but, for now Android is potentially unsecure, but 70% of the market can't be wrong - or can they ? Only time will tell ...

Your issues can be more constructively utilized - there is a page on the Windows Phone marketplace, where users can suggest features / improvements. These are then voted on by other users, with MS addressing the most popular..
... and, remember ... NO perfect phone, just perfect for you (& your use case).

peace
GDR1 support pages appeared and vanished so maybe not such a rumor anymore (Start screen folder)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)