Nokia Lumia 1520: A Hate Story

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Your original rant was just that - you want Windows Phone to improve ? , yet you rant on here, for others to read.

Windows Phone is in dynamic equilibrium, currently. On another forum I read, there are 2-3 posters doing exactly what you did (trolls), but NOT having benefit of trying Windows Phone, simply regurgitating what they've read.

The OS needs more adoption, for more app developers to code apps for it, for more adoption (get it - dynamic equilibrium). The naysayers spout this rhetoric (usually unfounded - most of your points were) and users researching the OS will latch on to the negatives. Are there issues which need to be resolved ? - as with any OS there are.

Microsoft - YES, they need to catchup quicker, but with WinPhone 8.1 they are almost there. With rumored feature upgrades (WP 8.1 GDR1) the turnaround s/b all but complete - then they can explore the standout features (3D touch ?) which will set the OS apart. They ran with what they had. Nokia produces excellent imaging devices, so if your camera is important, you tried a Nokia WinPhone. This is in a constant state of FLUX (the dynamic equilibrium, again) and if you know the recent history of Android, MS is a bit ahead of where Android Dev was in their beginning lifecycle.

Given time, Windows Phone WILL develop into a contender (as long as MS continues their full support). If Android were to experience a major security breach (matter of when, not IF) the Windows Phone OS might see a surge in uptake - but, for now Android is potentially unsecure, but 70% of the market can't be wrong - or can they ? Only time will tell ...

Your issues can be more constructively utilized - there is a page on the Windows Phone marketplace, where users can suggest features / improvements. These are then voted on by other users, with MS addressing the most popular..
... and, remember ... NO perfect phone, just perfect for you (& your use case).

peace

Is it that difficult for an almost $ 70 billion company to analyse and respond to what market and customer needs???
Its been ages since we have been waiting for MS to respond with updates. They not only have to work on their OS architecture, but also on building customer bases along with it, provided they don't care about nos.
For some people, these might not be an important updates/issues, but for a huge mass of average users, these things make life easy.
But then again there are people that don't take NO for an answer. They just hate competition and praise what they have in order to justify their limitations.
No doubt, Windows is stable OS than Android and I will now never prefer an high end android device, but to keep that confidence running and benefit of it in long run, MS will have to respond swiftly to the generic needs of average users.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No matter how bad it is..I am not going back to Lag-droid. I have suffered heavily on its slow performance. Windows was a new approach and maybe 5 years of Android use made me expect if not more, then at par with it.
But things do take time and I would like to give MS that time, may be an year or so to make me feel that the decision to switch to windows was genuine (in the long run).

For the equalizer part, I keep changing the headphone/earphones and thus need that setting frequently.

But one thing that i desperately need from MS is to view music files in folders or provide Poweramp player in store along with MX player for videos.

Yes....these 2 things would make this phone one of the best on any platform...

They have to unhook Xbox completely from the system and allow 3rd party development on these...the problem is that no one at Microsoft has the balls to say so. They want everyone to get onboard with Xbox and ram it down everyone's throat.

I don't own a Xbox nor will I ever own one,and hate having to use anything associated with it to enjoy my movies and music on my phone.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes....these 2 things would make this phone one of the best on any platform...

They have to unhook Xbox completely from the system and allow 3rd party development on these...the problem is that no one at Microsoft has the balls to say so. They want everyone to get onboard with Xbox and ram it down everyone's throat.

I don't own a Xbox nor will I ever own one,and hate having to use anything associated with it to enjoy my movies and music on my phone.

Agree...!! You need a product that suits the customers needs not the other way around.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I understand the op's ranting completely. It's frustrating as all get out .

The potential of this phone is awesome,but,if Microsoft hamstrings it,it's untapped potential.

For it to really shine they have to rethink their roadmap some,and stop forcing people to use certain things and allow them to use their phones as they want to...they are doing the same thing with Xbox on WP just as they did with IE before
They won't,because they don't fully understand mobile phones and what other platforms offer and what people truly want.They only have selective hearing on these issues...

To them it's our way or the highway....and as long as they take this approach..they will always be behind in acceptance of it's platforms.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Given time, Windows Phone WILL develop into a contender (as long as MS continues their full support). If Android were to experience a major security breach (matter of when, not IF) the Windows Phone OS might see a surge in uptake - but, for now Android is potentially unsecure, but 70% of the market can't be wrong - or can they ? Only time will tell ...

Your issues can be more constructively utilized - there is a page on the Windows Phone marketplace, where users can suggest features / improvements. These are then voted on by other users, with MS addressing the most popular..
... and, remember ... NO perfect phone, just perfect for you (& your use case).

peace

Guess what OS currently has ~80% of its market and is also commonly called the most insecure OS in the world?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Since I am new to windows and to this thread as well, I am still getting a hang around of how stuff works.
Besides, that para in the end was in the hope that someone from MS will be reading it and may be work towards the psychology of such needs.

This site has no official affiliation with Microsoft, so we have no idea if they read anything posted here. You might want to try this link: Feature Suggestions: Hot (55769 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nirraj

Sorry to hear that your 1520 experience hasn't been as great as it could be.

As I'm sure a lot of folk here have pointed out, a huge amount of the issues you've flagged up are sorted out in W8.1 and will continue to improve with future OS updates. I've been using Windows Phone since the Metro/Tile rebirth (WP7 Lumia 800 and HTC Trophy) and I can honestly say that the system just keeps getting better and better with every update. Microsoft really are listening to their customers and are refining the OS all the time.

I'm a Lumia 1520 user myself and appreciate it can take some getting used to. But it really is an awesome phone. The reason I chose it (apart from the amazing HD screen) is because it has the best, latest and most powerful hardware of just about any other Windows Phone, which means you should be eligible for software updates for a looooooooong time to come.

I hope you stick with the platform and enjoy Windows 8.1 when it arrive sin the next week or two :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Hey Folks...

Having used this for 10 days...all I can say is the more I use Lumia 1520, the more I hate it. Nokia & Microsoft need to understand that they just cant sell phones based on hardware itself. Features like privacy on Toast notifications, volumes control on player, folder play in music are necessary and make user feel at home.
Sadly, they not only lag far behind in apps but in providing favorable user interface with applications as well. We don't only need screens and battery, but basic settings that make life easier.

Few negative aspects of Lumia 1520..or as a matter of fact....all Windows device- (I have excluded those issues that will be rectified to some extent in windows 8.1 official update.)

1. No folder wise music play and on top of that, no search option to get to your favorite song.
2. No Volume control either on music player or in Video player.
3. You cannot drag the bar to FW or RW a song or video.
4. No option to hide the toast notifications that crop up everytime a message arrives killing your privacy and also the screen comes alive. I have seen threads, where people negated notifications lights on other devices getting them irritated every now and then. But atleast, there is only blinking light and the screen wouldn't come alive. Besides, that notification will come in background, thereby not affecting your current work and respecting your privacy (You have the options for these in Android and iOS).
5. No separate volume control for ringtones and media players. One will have to adjust it everytime while switching applications.
6. No option to sort the videos list date wise. I know one will have applications in store for these things but isn't it obvious that stock players shall come with these basic features.
7. No inbuilt equalizer in the music player. You will have to go to different settings for that. Now isn't this pathetic and tidy. This is basic requirement for any music player.
8. No option to set a downloaded application as default application for a particular task, for which it was downloaded. For e.g. even if you download a different browser, any link in any message will only open in the Internet explorer.
9. Too sensitive screen which opens applications even when you were just scrolling past it.
10. No smart dialing. You need to go to People everytime you search for a contact.
11. Call history only displays name and not number. If you have saved multiple nos for same person, you will have to open every call history to see what no you called.
Plus there are plenty other small glitches as well, a presence of which would have made your life easier using the phone.

MS will have to understand the concept of selling mobile and have to bring in newer brain heads that will think in that direction, MINUTELY. I cannot ask a bike mechanic to work on a car thinking that they both are just engines and are used for transport.
Every small details needs to be paid attention to. They are late with updates and launches and still when they are out, they miss these basic functionalities. I guess they are too busy tightening their security on the OS, but they will have to realize, if there are no users they will have nothing to protect.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play.

Again it needs to be pointed out. A little pre-purchase research would have made these "short comings" known to you and you could have saved your money and our time.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
They are late with updates and launches

Not really, WP8.1 is barely starting to be officially released yet it has more users (relatively) than Android Kitkat because of developers preview (which works about 98% as good as official stable release).
Most of those problems are fixed in WP8.1, you actually have more control over toasts and notifications than on android now. Give it a shot, it's free and costs nothing. And you don't need to fiddle with custom recoveries and bootloaders.

Besides the issues already addressed in WP8.1, as pointed out by others:
6. videos by date: there's Files, the official file manager app, which lets you sort anything by date, so you may find it useful to browse videos, I think it requires WP8.1, but I'm not sure. If you shot videos with your phone, then they're going to be sorted by date with other photos in Camera roll.
7. there's one in settings, find the best setting for your earphones and leave it as it is. This is really a preference, not as much of an issue. Someone made a choice to make it like that. They could've added a link to EQ from the music app though, I agree with that, but making it work separately for system and music app, that's a bit overkill.
8. That's true, but all browsers are built around IE engine, so the websites are displayed the same way. I like IE, it's pretty fast, and it got improved on 8.1
9. Screen is sensitive so you can use it with gloves, you can turn the extra sensitivity off though in settings.
10. this one truly is a pickle, but it gets somewhat better with 8.1 and theres a big chance that someone you're calling is in your (recent) history, so just scroll down a little. I'd like the T9 smar dialing as well though.
11. on 8.1 it displays 'home' or 'mobile' next to the name, that's really good enough, if you have your contacts organized properly.

If you don't like it that's on you really, return or sell it, don't go attacking the whole comunity. If you want answers to questions and some help transitioning into WP, adjust your tone and ask nicely.

I hope you end up liking it, it's a really great phone and OS.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask, in your pre-purchase research, what features about this lovely marvel of modern technology caught your eye? How are you enjoying THOSE features?

Backseat driving is easy. Are you a dev? Do you do any programming? I don't get the mentality that some folks have adopted; "its not what I am used to so it sucks".

I can honestly say, that, its shortcomings aside, this is the best phone I have ever used. If all products were the same, there would never be a need for innovation. If you want to be cattle, then be cattle. But don't use something for 10 days and think you're an expert.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried 8.1 yet? I think you should re-review the device after playing with 8.1. Most of your problems should be alleviated.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi Nirraj

Sorry to hear that your 1520 experience hasn't been as great as it could be.

As I'm sure a lot of folk here have pointed out, a huge amount of the issues you've flagged up are sorted out in W8.1 and will continue to improve with future OS updates. I've been using Windows Phone since the Metro/Tile rebirth (WP7 Lumia 800 and HTC Trophy) and I can honestly say that the system just keeps getting better and better with every update. Microsoft really are listening to their customers and are refining the OS all the time.

I'm a Lumia 1520 user myself and appreciate it can take some getting used to. But it really is an awesome phone. The reason I chose it (apart from the amazing HD screen) is because it has the best, latest and most powerful hardware of just about any other Windows Phone, which means you should be eligible for software updates for a looooooooong time to come.

I hope you stick with the platform and enjoy Windows 8.1 when it arrive sin the next week or two :)

Hi There.... There is no doubt that this phone is one of its kind and I am going to stick with it for a long time.
And I am desperately hoping that WP 8.1 sweeps away most of the glitches....Eagerly awaiting its arrival..!!!!

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
How do you feel about the size of the 1520, and its photographic capability with 20 mpx?

Honestly..Its not that big. After using it for 2 weeks, when i look at the screen of even a 5" phone..it seems I am looking at iphone 4. I am driving bike comfortably with phone sitting nicely inside the pockets.
On the camera part, it's amazing. I mean i have never seen a phone taking so excellent pictures, specially in the low light. The bigger camera sensors (1/2.5") assist in taking great memories.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No matter how bad it is..I am not going back to Lag-droid. I have suffered heavily on its slow performance. Windows was a new approach and maybe 5 years of Android use made me expect if not more, then at par with it.
But things do take time and I would like to give MS that time, may be an year or so to make me feel that the decision to switch to windows was genuine (in the long run).

For the equalizer part, I keep changing the headphone/earphones and thus need that setting frequently.

But one thing that i desperately need from MS is to view music files in folders or provide Poweramp player in store along with MX player for videos.
Stop living in the past, android is not slow anymore, get a new android device and stop struggling.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I do agree all of what you said in 8.0 but honestly dude, if these things matter so much to you, you couldve just spent that time updating your phone instead of writing all of this.
I don't mean to be rude, but im just stating something that couldve been easily avoided, 8.1 dev preview has 0 drawbacks, only difference is that you get everything way sooner than the actual update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire