Nokia Lumia 1520: A Hate Story

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Folks...

Having used this for 10 days...all I can say is the more I use Lumia 1520, the more I hate it. Nokia & Microsoft need to understand that they just cant sell phones based on hardware itself. Features like privacy on Toast notifications, volumes control on player, folder play in music are necessary and make user feel at home.
Sadly, they not only lag far behind in apps but in providing favorable user interface with applications as well. We don't only need screens and battery, but basic settings that make life easier.

Few negative aspects of Lumia 1520..or as a matter of fact....all Windows device- (I have excluded those issues that will be rectified to some extent in windows 8.1 official update.)

1. No folder wise music play and on top of that, no search option to get to your favorite song.
2. No Volume control either on music player or in Video player.
3. You cannot drag the bar to FW or RW a song or video.
4. No option to hide the toast notifications that crop up everytime a message arrives killing your privacy and also the screen comes alive. I have seen threads, where people negated notifications lights on other devices getting them irritated every now and then. But atleast, there is only blinking light and the screen wouldn't come alive. Besides, that notification will come in background, thereby not affecting your current work and respecting your privacy (You have the options for these in Android and iOS).
5. No separate volume control for ringtones and media players. One will have to adjust it everytime while switching applications.
6. No option to sort the videos list date wise. I know one will have applications in store for these things but isn't it obvious that stock players shall come with these basic features.
7. No inbuilt equalizer in the music player. You will have to go to different settings for that. Now isn't this pathetic and tidy. This is basic requirement for any music player.
8. No option to set a downloaded application as default application for a particular task, for which it was downloaded. For e.g. even if you download a different browser, any link in any message will only open in the Internet explorer.
9. Too sensitive screen which opens applications even when you were just scrolling past it.
10. No smart dialing. You need to go to People everytime you search for a contact.
11. Call history only displays name and not number. If you have saved multiple nos for same person, you will have to open every call history to see what no you called.
Plus there are plenty other small glitches as well, a presence of which would have made your life easier using the phone.

MS will have to understand the concept of selling mobile and have to bring in newer brain heads that will think in that direction, MINUTELY. I cannot ask a bike mechanic to work on a car thinking that they both are just engines and are used for transport.
Every small details needs to be paid attention to. They are late with updates and launches and still when they are out, they miss these basic functionalities. I guess they are too busy tightening their security on the OS, but they will have to realize, if there are no users they will have nothing to protect.

1- Maybe after WP8.1 changes, more and better players (with folder option) will came to MS Store.
2. Just adapt yourself. WP8.1 bring sepparated controls, anyway. Not in app, but you will have at your hand. And you have buttons to do it.
3. 8.1 have this feature.
4. 8.1 have it too.
5. Again, 8.1 brings this feature.
6. Yeah, store have a plenty of apps to do it. And is exactly why is there.
7. Don't disagree here, but you REALLY change your equalize settings too often? You're really need this feature on music app? And it's Nokia feature, so that never happens.
8. This is not a PC. And hopefully never be.
9. 1520 have a sensitive bug. Will be fix.
10. Again, in store you will find a dozen of apps with this and much more feature.
11. 8.1 bring some news for it.

Windows Phone is not a mature system yet. We all agree with that. But Android took at least 4 years to become acceptable and have a minimum - just a minimum - of stability. Windows Phone have it in the DAY ONE.

Windows Phone is not perfect, need more feature, more APIs, have a lot less feature than rivals, but 8.1 brings a whole new world. And in 3 years the system is really close to get the mature that needs.

Microsoft have did a very good job with Windows Phone. It's very hard begin in the end of the game and Microsoft made it. But don't expect that system have all features yet.

Last edited:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Stop living in the past, android is not slow anymore, get a new android device and stop struggling.
Yeah, but still VERY unstable (even with tops, but most common in low and midranges) and have a very bad memmory management yet. And this is a VERY old problem. A 6 years problem.

So, the perfect world don't exist.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I do agree all of what you said in 8.0 but honestly dude, if these things matter so much to you, you couldve just spent that time updating your phone instead of writing all of this.
I don't mean to be rude, but im just stating something that couldve been easily avoided, 8.1 dev preview has 0 drawbacks, only difference is that you get everything way sooner than the actual update.

There is a risk of getting your warranty void if you install the developer version of 8.1. I am desperate for these features to kick in, but not desperate to risk a $700 device. I will rather wait.
The only point is asking for obvious basic features in a flagship device..!!!

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Stop living in the past, android is not slow anymore, get a new android device and stop struggling.

That's exactly the problem with Lag-Droids...They perform excellent in the beginning and as you go along using the device..It starts showing true colors...The last device I used ran on Android 4.3 and still there were issues. Any application will take ages to launch...and this is where I love windows. No matter how long you have been using it..or how many applications are being run in the background..It never runs out of breath and charms you everytime with its speed to handle everything thrown at it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Has there ever been a reported case of a warranty being voided for running an official preview? I find it to be unlikely. I did a warranty claim once with a hacked firmware and had zero issues.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Has there ever been a reported case of a warranty being voided for running an official preview? I find it to be unlikely. I did a warranty claim once with a hacked firmware and had zero issues.

I spoke to a guy from Nokia repair centre and asked him and he said that if a service tech said that 8.1 voided the warranty then it was one of two things, either he doesn't know what he is talking about or he is lying. He said that if a phone came in for repair then it would be flashed back to 8.0 only because they can't flash it with 8.1

Also asked my friend who works for a well know phone shop/provider in the UK and he said the same.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
For the equalizer part, I keep changing the headphone/earphones and thus need that setting frequently.

Me too, but I just keep the EQ on flat. And it doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anyway, and I use those the most. You get used to it :)

And 8.1 preview comes directly from M$, it's not some shady ROM that actually may break your phone. Except for some minor bugs and a reboot every now and then, everything is working as it should on my 925. The official update should be out very soon, so you might as well wait, but installing the preview will not void your warranty. If you do go for the preview, I recommend factory resetting the phone after the update, it's much faster after that.

You're right about lagdroids :D Though everyone is telling me 'you can't compare Nexus 7 2012 to 925' but then why is my 925 (1 year old model based on 2 year old hardware) running much smoother than just 6 months older Nexus 7? No matter what you do on WP, pressing start will open Start and you can call someone from there in matter of seconds. On Nexus 7 I wait even 10 seconds just to open the homescreen, which is not even complicated (just one page with only 1 widget and 12 icons really).
I guess the newest androids are better, I haven't tried any yet, but I don't think android phone that costs the same as my 925 did would be this fast.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Me too, but I just keep the EQ on flat. And it doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anyway, and I use those the most. You get used to it :)

And 8.1 preview comes directly from M$, it's not some shady ROM that actually may break your phone. Except for some minor bugs and a reboot every now and then, everything is working as it should on my 925. The official update should be out very soon, so you might as well wait, but installing the preview will not void your warranty. If you do go for the preview, I recommend factory resetting the phone after the update, it's much faster after that.

You're right about lagdroids :D Though everyone is telling me 'you can't compare Nexus 7 2012 to 925' but then why is my 925 (1 year old model based on 2 year old hardware) running much smoother than just 6 months older Nexus 7? No matter what you do on WP, pressing start will open Start and you can call someone from there in matter of seconds. On Nexus 7 I wait even 10 seconds just to open the homescreen, which is not even complicated (just one page with only 1 widget and 12 icons really).
I guess the newest androids are better, I haven't tried any yet, but I don't think android phone that costs the same as my 925 did would be this fast.

I wouldn't bet on it, I have spent a weekend with an Xperia Z2 and a day with an S5 and they both lag and stutter.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
1. No folder wise music play...
Alas, the world has moved on -- blame Apple and the success of the first generation iPod for moving many folks from folder location playback to MP3 tags and playlists. Android may be one of the last platforms providing a built-in media player with the option to play back via file location.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

M8, G2, N5 are all very fast and no lags, the G3 will be very good with rumors of an 805 version that will be beast. if you wait it out the Note 4 will have the 805 and 4gig of ram. The launcher is what makes the Sammies lag.

I have a 1520 running 8.1 and it has been perfect from day one on 8.1 but here in the last week has become a laggy turd and has locked up like a bad cramp 4 times just today.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
They were both running Apex launcher.

I'd say bad z2 then and a really bad s5 because 9 times out of 10 a launcher fixes galaxy lag, im surprised the z2 lags at all. My note 3, n5 and g2 never had lag stock but then again none of my androids stay stock for more then a day lol.
the s5 has way too much going on for 2gig of ram to deal with, that and the 801 isnt all its cracked up to be, my G2's tweaked 800 puts a beat down on it, and my note3 running all of its features plus all of the s5 features minus fingerprint scanner has no problem keeping up and never lags.

Android has its software issues yes but can be fixed within minutes unlike Microsoft and Apple.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Remember, Android was this way when it first came out. I remember my first Android 1.5 Cupcake. I said the same thing.

I know Microsoft is a little late to the game but you must crawl before you can walk.

I also get a little frustrated with the lack of apps and phone features missing but I remind myself of the Laggyness of Android and I stay with my Windows phone.

Jim

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Change the launcher on the s5, no more lag

What's the point of changing a launcher when you are getting a branded phone in the first place and cannot enjoy the out-of-the-box experience? Why do we need to do such thing on Android? I don't see or hear iPhone user having the need to change anything and their phone is silky smooth, as well as Windows Phones. On Android, things start to lag over time. Even changing the launcher can't help because the core is already in a huge mess and bloated.

Even the upcoming Android L is crazy with all the bold colors. Every UI you go into will have different colors - calendars, settings, calculator, etc etc. Why the need for different colors with different apps??? Where is the consistency?? And Android is trying to catch up with iOS for the animations. Good luck with lower end phones coz the animations will kill the battery and processor.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
What's the point of changing a launcher when you are getting a branded phone in the first place and cannot enjoy the out-of-the-box experience? Why do we need to do such thing on Android? I don't see or hear iPhone user having the need to change anything and their phone is silky smooth, as well as Windows Phones. On Android, things start to lag over time. Even changing the launcher can't help because the core is already in a huge mess and bloated.

Even the upcoming Android L is crazy with all the bold colors. Every UI you go into will have different colors - calendars, settings, calculator, etc etc. Why the need for different colors with different apps??? Where is the consistency?? And Android is trying to catch up with iOS for the animations. Good luck with lower end phones coz the animations will kill the battery and processor.

None of my OTB Android phones have lagged ever, now my 1520, that has turned into a lagging pile of 💩.

Catch up with IOS for animations?......Da ****?? Have you ever used a G2?? IOS is stagnant and has been for years.

As for Microsoft new to mobile os, umm windows mobile was out before IOS even got started.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
if you wait it out the Note 4 will have the 805 and 4gig of ram. .

I dont know if you have noticed.. Note 1 had 1gb of ram, Note 2 had 2, note 3 has 3 and now note 4 will have 4GB of RAM. Even these companies know that android lags in long run and they need to kick in extra gigs to catch up with the requirement. Where iOS and WS have been running seamlessly even on 512mb of ram. Doesn't that tells you the story for Lag-Droids. They always needs more power to work and that results in performance issues over time.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if you have noticed.. Note 1 had 1gb of ram, Note 2 had 2, note 3 has 3 and now note 4 will have 4GB of RAM. Even these companies know that android lags in long run and they need to kick in extra gigs to catch up with the requirement. Where iOS and WS have been running seamlessly even on 512mb of ram. Doesn't that tells you the story for Lag-Droids. They always needs more power to work and that results in performance issues over time.

Not completely true. Have a look at Nexus devices. Stock android is still stable. I will blame Samsung's own TouchWIZ UI.

nirraj

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I spoke to a guy from Nokia repair centre and asked him and he said that if a service tech said that 8.1 voided the warranty then it was one of two things, either he doesn't know what he is talking about or he is lying. He said that if a phone came in for repair then it would be flashed back to 8.0 only because they can't flash it with 8.1

Also asked my friend who works for a well know phone shop/provider in the UK and he said the same.

I read about the warranty here.. and it says that "It may void your warranty"
Developer Preview Program FAQ - Get Windows Phone 8.1 today - Microsoft Community

and Here

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop/devpreview

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers