Signal issues after dropping phone

Cybnext

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my phone about 2 weeks ago (sadly cracked the corner of the screen), and about Thursday last week, I've begun having major signal issues, basically I can't get signal like 80-90% of the time. I've never had any issues with signal before and it's very frustrating.

I'm running the latest WP8.1 Developer preview

Anyone got any ideas on something I can check? Maybe something is loose inside the phone?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I am concerned this sounds like you may have damaged your internal antenna in the drop. Very little chance to narrow it down without opening it up. Is there a Nokia/Microsoft care center near you? I would look up on the computer and see if there is. Maybe open a chat with a Nokia rep. See if they have suggestions for you.

Sorry. Sounds like you beat the odds and that fall hit the L920 just right to cause a problem. Please keep us informed.

Cybnext

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't believe there are any care centers near me, but I'm not able to figure out where to find that on their site...I had found it before, but can't this time :|

I'll probably take the phone apart when I get home to see if anything is broken

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would get in touch with service to see what they say, you can likely ship it off for repairs.

Taking it apart will obviously void the warranty, but I'm assuming its out of warranty.
You could always try a DIY repair but you'll have to see whats up on the inside as you plan.

Have fun

Cybnext

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Everything looks fine inside. Bent the prongs that contact the case to make they were all touching. Put it back together and same thing :(

Trying my SIM in another phone to rule that out

Cybnext

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
SIM in another phone worked fine :(

Sadly, none of the current WP8 phone offerings from AT&T interest me. The 1520 is too large for me, the 1020 is alright and I'd really hate to buy another L920 even though I love my phone and WP8.

Not sure what I want to do :(

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
SIM in another phone worked fine :(

Sadly, none of the current WP8 phone offerings from AT&T interest me. The 1520 is too large for me, the 1020 is alright and I'd really hate to buy another L920 even though I love my phone and WP8.

Not sure what I want to do :(

See if repairs would be worth it, get in touch, see what Nokia says.

If you love your phone and WP8, what reason is there to buy another phone then? They're all going to cost some amount of money.

Now the 520 is a decent, cheap device at ~$60-70 off contract, so thats an option, keeping the 920 for everything but the cellular features.

And a secondhand or refurbished 920 is also a solid option, if the price is right.
Heck, a donor 920, with a busted screen might be usable for parts.

Cybnext

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I took it apart one last time last night.

I disconnected the antenna cable and reconnected it. So far I've had signal since. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it though :)

UPDATE: Was too good to be true, lost signal the entire way to work after leaving my house :(
Also, can someone merge my other post? Accidentally double posted this thread.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett