Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 - comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The 930 is just a repackaged 1520 therefore it's priced accordingly. It doesn't have fastest processor but it is still a flagship phone. The iPhone 5s doesn't have the fastest processor, it's not even quad core and it's still priced as a flagship. The iPhone 5c was essentially the same phone as the iPhone 5 but it was repackaged too. Nothing about the 930 is any different than companies have done before.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The 930 is just a repackaged 1520 therefore it's priced accordingly. It doesn't have fastest processor but it is still a flagship phone. The iPhone 5s doesn't have the fastest processor, it's not even quad core and it's still priced as a flagship. The iPhone 5c was essentially the same phone as the iPhone 5 but it was repackaged too. Nothing about the 930 is any different than companies have done before.

Well, there's one difference: Apple can sell their phones, Microsoft can't.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Give me a link to the App store for Cortana please.

I don't have Cortana. Most of the world doesn't have Cortana. Cortana only knows English. That's really no selling argument.

And voice assistants are nice for a party trick, but I have never in my life seen anybody talk to his phone on the streets.

So you agree both Microsoft and Google had (Google still has) big failures regarding updates.

Yes, of course. And what consequence does that have now?

Yes, one is firmware. Although it looks like 1520 and 930 are absolutely similar, in reality it's not like this (simply compare the screens. And there are more marketing expenses since 930 is a new device.

I haven't seen any marketing for the 930. And you were saying it's more complicated to adjust the firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device what makes the price difference to the Android competition. I was stating that it can't be that hard as a phone already exists running basically on the same hardware.

Q: Who developed Android core? A: -
Q: Who developed Windows Phone core? A: -

What does that have to do with anything?

I think that's enough so far.

I agree, there's no reason the 930 should be that expensive. There are many reasons why it should be priced aggressively. Of course I could be wrong, but I predict the 930 being a flop.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Cortana. Most of the world doesn't have Cortana. Cortana only knows English. That's really no selling argument.

And voice assistants are nice for a party trick, but I have never in my life seen anybody talk to his phone on the streets.

Cortana does not mean that you need to speak to your phone lol. It's just a different way to manage everything (almost) on your phone. And yeah, Cortana will be available mostly to everybody next year. (except iOS/Android, not sure though).

Yes, of course. And what consequence does that have now?

I just like the way you point out that Google will do some good stuff and, at the same time, state that MS didn't update its previous mobile OS versions.

I haven't seen any marketing for the 930. And you were saying it's more complicated to adjust the firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device what makes the price difference to the Android competition. I was stating that it can't be that hard as a phone already exists running basically on the same hardware.

It's not more/less complicated. It's just different, thus additional effort and expenses are required. And as I said, basically yes, but in reality it's not.

What does that have to do with anything?

I love when people answer a question with a question (sarcasm).

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Cortana does not mean that you need to speak to your phone lol. It's just a different way to manage everything (almost) on your phone. And yeah, Cortana will be available mostly to everybody next year. (except iOS/Android, not sure though).

Why should I buy an overpriced Lumia 930 now when what you try to sell me as a main feature is only available next year? You make less and less sense.

I just like the way you point out that Google will do some good stuff and, at the same time, state that MS didn't update its previous mobile OS versions.

Yes, so both do the same thing. They promise us to make things better. Why does that make Windows Phones more expensive exactly?

It's not more/less complicated. It's just different, thus additional effort and expenses are required. And as I said, basically yes, but in reality it's not.

You state random assertions without giving any explanation. There's no reason whatsoever why a high-end phone should be harder to optimize than a low cost phone, unless it has some new special features. And quite frankly, the 930 does not have any.

I love when people answer a question with a question (sarcasm).

A company that was later bought by Google started to develop Android based on Linux.

Microsoft developed Windows Phone 8 based on the NT kernel.

Okay? Can I ask now, what does that have to do with anything?

Actually I would agree with Great deal, this thread could stop here. But I'm still wondering if you are just too stubborn to agree or if there's somewhere in your argumentation some sense hidden.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
All Apple products are too expensive for what they are, doesnt stop people from buying them ;)

That's true in many cases, even though I think in some areas Apple has moved to pretty reasonable prices. Their phones are very expensive however.

But that's exactly my point. Apple can do it, people will buy it anyway. Only very few buy Microsoft phones, so making the device expensive certainly won't make them buy more.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So... the S5 is more powerful in hardware wise compare to 930. And then?

Which device would you recommend me if I want a mobile phone with 5' screen, 20MP camera and absolutely must has WP in it? Is there any other option in market right now that has these criteria? If not then thank you :3 You go and buy another phone and I'll buy this 930 cause it suites me pretty well. Everyone has their own opinion, you prefer better hardwares with cheaper price or whatever, we prefer other options while there isn't anymore left to choose.

Time to stop giving out advice when nobody ask for it. Feel free to do it if someone ask a spec wise comparison between S5 and 930.

P.S: you should change your thread's title to "Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 hardware/spec wise only" if you want your thread to be ignored completely :)

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see where the S5 wins is the battery, micoSD*, and water resistance. Weight and dimension is a subjective preference. The difference in processors is not going to be noticeable. In fact, over the life of the phone and the way Android is architectured, the S5 is going to have poorer performance than the Lumia 930.

* All the sources list the specs of the S5 with 16Gb of storage. So how much more is the 32Gb model, which is standard for the Lumia 930?

The lumia has a better camera and wireless charging, which is more important to me.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Which device would you recommend me if I want a mobile phone with 5' screen, 20MP camera and absolutely must has WP in it? Is there any other option in market right now that has these criteria? If not then thank you :3 You go and buy another phone and I'll buy this 930 cause it suites me pretty well. Everyone has their own opinion, you prefer better hardwares with cheaper price or whatever, we prefer other options while there isn't anymore left to choose.

Time to stop giving out advice when nobody ask for it. Feel free to do it if someone ask a spec wise comparison between S5 and 930.

You give your opinion too, so you must be interested in this thread, right?

Nobody disputes that the Lumia 930 is a nice device. However as you mention, the only reason to buy it is if you want Windows Phone and nothing else. That's great. But I don't think that will make the Lumia 930 a success.

That's actually my point, I have nothing against the Lumia 930, it's awesome. Still, it's too expensive to make an impact on marketshare.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You give your opinion too, so you must be interested in this thread, right?

Nobody disputes that the Lumia 930 is a nice device. However as you mention, the only reason to buy it is if you want Windows Phone and nothing else. That's great. But I don't think that will make the Lumia 930 a success.

That's actually my point, I have nothing against the Lumia 930, it's awesome. Still, it's too expensive to make an impact on marketshare.

I don't care if it's a success or not :v Really, Microsoft or Nokia or whoever, die or not, gain marketshare or lost it... is their own job :3 My only concern is that I can get the phone I want with my desired criteria and that it. I buy the phone and use it.

What's the point with worrying so much about a company? Even if Microsoft or Nokia's doomed to hell, my phone still can make calls, send sms and play with what apps/games I have on my phone.

In the end, it's just a phone :| and I can change a phone whenever I want without worrying how to "talk" to their companies.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if it's a success or not :v Really, Microsoft or Nokia or whoever, die or not, gain marketshare or lost it... is their own job :3 My only concern is that I can get the phone I want with my desired criteria and that it. I buy the phone and use it.

What's the point with worrying so much about a company? Even if Microsoft or Nokia's doomed to hell, my phone still can make calls, send sms and play with what apps/games I have on my phone.

In the end, it's just a phone :| and I can change a phone whenever I want without worrying how to "talk" to their companies.

You are actually a better person than I am.

I always preach that people shouldn't get attached to a company emotionally, and here I am writing post after post about my frustration on how Microsoft doesn't manage to gain marketshare and how they make weird decision after weird decision.

Well, at least it only troubles me as long as I'm on tech sites, it doesn't affect my everyday life yet ;-)

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I would agree if the price points were lower. Why pay similar to an S5 for inferior hardware irrespective of the OS. You seem to be very happy paying for inferior hardware when in fact the manufacturer and OS company can easily up the specs, keep the price the same and we get improved performance above and beyond what we have now. Look at the specs carefully, processor, thickness, weight, battery, hardware features. Are you telling me your happy to pay similar price for inferior hardware?

I understand the point of the OS working differently and having different requirements, im not comparing OS im comparing the actual hardware, something you cant seem to understand. Maybe you sleep with your windows phone next to your pillow, sorry but I don't care who makes the hardware as long as it does what I want it to do and I feel that in a 24 month contract it will stand the test of time. Yes the 930 will do what I want it to do, but MS are competing with Samsung and iPhone with this device...they simply cant. Perhaps the Mclaren(or whatever the name will be) can at which point I will happily trade up from 1020....930 though? no way, I wouldn't even upgrade to it from my other 920.

You seem to be somone who understands the technical jargon of specs...the average consumer doesn't. Is the average person going to be able to see with their eye the difference in graphics speed, or shutter speed between the 800 and 801..heck, even those of us who work in the tech realm is hard pressed to see a distinctive difference. The 920 has a lower graphical display and pixelization density then a lot newer phones but the pure view and clear black the average person would'nt know if its 1080p or 720p. The PS4 is 1080p but can you tell the difference from the Xbox One which the display depends on the game (i.e. Battlefield 4 920p)...probably not. Specs are used to show distinciton merely from a numeric or metric standpoint, which often is enough to get somone to obligate to a certain device. An actually physical comparison would result in a different outcome. The 1020 though with its 41 megapixels, how it gets that differs from say the S4 Zoom, which some will argue provides a more genuine albiet lower megapixel count. It depends on what you want and what you see, not so much what you read.
There's nothing stating the 930 will be more than the S5 without contract. Samsung like the iPhone has always seemed like a brittle phone build. You need to get a phone case to proctect your phone not because you want one. How many cracked screens have you seen from Lumia owners. Specs only tell part of the story. The heart monitor is a cool feature, but the fingerprint scanner/authenticator seemed buggy when the iPhone introduced it, and I never really cared too much for it. All in all it's up to the individual. I always combine the specs with an actualy user experience to ultimately determine my choice. That's what I did with the 1520 and ultimately saw it as a viable replacement for my 920.

Marcell Varga

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Come on... Unless you want to run BF4 On your phone (which I would find very interesting) a WP device does not need some incredible specs to give you a great experience. Everything depends on optimalization.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Come on... Unless you want to run BF4 On your phone (which I would find very interesting) a WP device does not need some incredible specs to give you a great experience. Everything depends on optimalization.

LOL..I agree about BF4 being on a phone...but that's exactly my point. A specs comparison is overrated when you're talking about technology that advances all the time.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
There is no point for this comparison. Lumia can be a great hardware but has limited software/apps and other task integration. S5 can be an inferior hardware (just saying for the sake of argument), but android apps are far better than WP apps. It's makes more sense to compare 2 different hardwares running the exact same software/OS.

Right now, eventhough my HTC One X is dated compared to my Lumia 1520, my HTC One X is still superior in terms of what it can do. Most WP apps are buggy.

DSCF0187_JPG.jpg

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So... the S5 is more powerful in hardware wise compare to 930. And then?

P.S: you should change your thread's title to "Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 hardware/spec wise only" if you want your thread to be ignored completely :)

What advice have I offered? We are all free to do what we want, if you choose to buy a 930 then great. If you don't, also great. Stay with WP, got to iOS no one cares except you. Its a good phone im sure, myself? well im going to wait for MS to release the Mclaren.

P.S: you shouldn't make assumptions, you know what they say about people that make assumptions right :p

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
There is no point for this comparison. Lumia can be a great hardware but has limited software/apps and other task integration. S5 can be an inferior hardware (just saying for the sake of argument), but android apps are far better than WP apps. It's makes more sense to compare 2 different hardwares running the exact same software/OS.

Right now, eventhough my HTC One X is dated compared to my Lumia 1520, my HTC One X is still superior in terms of what it can do. Most WP apps are buggy.

View attachment 70898

What makes you think your HTC One X is superior, and what apps are you stating as being buggy? It's the fluidity and smoothness of the WP8.1 OS that attracts most people to it. Looking at your phone, it doesn't seem to be running WP8.1. Have you attempted to upload the update or can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786