So I got my replacement 1020

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
After dropping and shattering the screen of my 1020, I made a claim and had a replacement shipped to me asap. Good thing I had insurance on the phone, as the screen has gone completely dead on the one I dropped. At first, I thought it was just the glass that had cracked, but soon after, the display/digitizer started displaying weird colors and started not responding to touch.. then eventually died never to come on again. I was without a functioning phone for only a few hours when the new one arrived.

Here's my problem and a question; Now that I have my replacement 1020, they want me to send the broken one back to them. I want to wipe all my info/data off of it, but cannot access it because the screen does not work. Any ideas? Send it back as is.. and trust whoever at AT&T with all my private info? Or should I try to flash it somehow?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe there is a button combination that will initiate a hard reset. I don't remember it though.

I guess you could send it back since its going to be nuked either way.

Flashing certainly will destroy what data you have on it, a bit drastic though.

willstoc

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want to do a hard reset of your damaged 1020 phone you could consult the very long user's manual which is available by an easy online search. You will need a lot of paper if you desire to print it out. The 1020 manual will answer a lot of your questions, including doing that hard reset.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want to do a hard reset of your damaged 1020 phone you could consult the very long user's manual which is available by an easy online search. You will need a lot of paper if you desire to print it out. The 1020 manual will answer a lot of your questions, including doing that hard reset.
I've had the users manual (pdf) since I got my phone almost a year ago, if that's what you're referring to. (why would I want to print it out again?) Anyway, the users manual only describes doing a hard reset using the on screen method (settings/about/reset my phone), where I can't access this 1020's screen because it is broken.
Thanks for the post anyway, and welcome to the site!

I'm considering doing a flash using Nokia Care Suite and a stock RM-877 (AT&T US) ROM since I can't trust any "3 button hard reset" method either, without any on screen confirmation.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any powerful magnets? There may be a data wiping center in your area that can do it if you really want that data gone. Or look for a tutorial for unscrewing your 1020 to destroy/gain access to the memory chip inside.
Edit: revised sentence

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Nokia gives the following options for reset the phone.

Important: This erases all personal content on
your phone and restores the factory
settings.
Before continue with the reset, make sure your phone’s battery level is above 50%.

To check the remaining battery life, go to Settings > battery saver.
If you are not able to check it, or the level is too low, charge your phone for at least 20 minutes. Option 1: If your phone powers on and allows you access to your
phone settings: Select Settings >
About > Reset your phone.

Option 2: If your phone will not power on, follow the steps below: . Switch off your phone, and disconnect the charger. .

Press and hold the volume down key, and connect the charger. If an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the
screen (release the volume down
key). .
Then press the volume and power keys in the following order:
volume up,
volume down,
power,
volume down. .

Wait for your phone to reset, during the reset you will see gears rotating on the screen for up to 5 minutes,
after which the screen goes blank for ~30 seconds
and then your phone will restart. .

Go through the initial phone setup.
Make sure that you have the date and time set correctly on your phone
(Settings > date+time). . Disconnect the charger.

FAQ - My Lumia phone does not work or respond as expected - Nokia - USA

if you connect to pc & place some media in camera roll folders ,do above and give it time to work and upon reconnect to pc you'll know its worked if your media is gone.View attachment 70857View attachment 70858

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow seriously? Didn't I mention I'm trying to wipe a phone that has a non-functioning screen? Thanks for the generic reset info that I knew back when I had my 920.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any powerful magnets? Or look for a tutorial for unscrewing your 1020 to destroy/gain access to the memory chip inside.
lol that would be one way to do it! (or two!)
And thanks, I guess you're the only one who actually read the thread!

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow seriously? Didn't I mention I'm trying to wipe a phone that has a non-functioning screen? Thanks for the generic reset info that I knew back when I had my 920.

""This erases all personal content on your phone"" and restores the factory settings.

You dont have to see the Exclamation mark just close your eyes and pretend you saw it ,you don't have to touch the screen, guess you dont even have to have a screen on it.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the service 'Find my Phone' enabled?
login to Windowphone.com, and try erasing it from there..
I was looking at that. The only problem with that, is I see both 1020s (the broken one, and the new one) but there's no information distinguishing one from the other. In other words, they both look exactly the same. I don't want to accidently wipe my new/good one. I wish this had more detailed info on each phone listed (like a serial number or something).

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
""This erases all personal content on your phone"" and restores the factory settings.

You dont have to see the Exclamation mark just close your eyes and pretend you saw it ,you don't have to touch the screen, guess you dont even have to have a screen on it.
I guess I could try to do that and feel my way through it lol
The camera roll confirmation is a good idea! Thanks!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi I'm just curious, did you have a screen protector installe

No, I never use those on my phones. They don't do anything to protect the glass from a fall and are only meant to protect from light scratches. The 1020 has Gorilla Glass III, and up until I dropped mine, was completely scratch free after about 8 months of heavy use, in and out of my pocket every day...

Don't waste your money on those for a 1020. They only make your phone look ugly.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
No, I never use those on my phones. They don't do anything to protect the glass from a fall and are only meant to protect from light scratches. The 1020 has Gorilla Glass III, and up until I dropped mine, was completely scratch free after about 8 months of heavy use, in and out of my pocket every day...

Don't waste your money on those for a 1020. They only make your phone look ugly.

Disagree.

I have a screen protector for my 1020 that was applied when wet and set with a hairdryer so doesn't leave any trace of being on the screen...no bubbles or any other signs. I'm aware that it won't offer much protection if I drop my phone but I'd like to think that I've saved my 1020 from surface scratches. My 920 had loads of scratches on after what I considered very careful use and no drops so I didn't want to take a chance with the 1020.

Anyway, I digress..best of luck in sorting your phone out :)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had a 920 that got scratched up a little as well, but I think the 920s had GG2 as opposed to the GG3 the 1020 has. I swear I had my 1020 for 8 months with a bare naked screen and never got the slightest scratch (until I dropped it) Maybe I just got lucky, but I prefer the feel of the naked screen..

willstoc

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Ed. I was sure the manual would have a way to do a hard reset with the damaged screen. After I sell my 1520 I am looking forward to getting a 1020. My goal will be to use its superb photographic capabilities.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I love this phone and it's camera! This insurance replacement is a nice fresh start and good enough to keep me satisfied without worrying about "when the next phones are coming out". The 1020 is the perfect all around phone and camera for me. 8.1 runs excellent on it, and it's the perfect size too.
This'll keep me happy until the "McLaren phones" come out anyway, and Microsoft with their next "big thing"...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had a 920 that got scratched up a little as well, but I think the 920s had GG2 as opposed to the GG3 the 1020 has. I swear I had my 1020 for 8 months with a bare naked screen and never got the slightest scratch (until I dropped it) Maybe I just got lucky, but I prefer the feel of the naked screen..
Funny thing was; I had more scratches on the back of my first 1020 than the screen ever got. The GG3 already has a scratch resistant coating on it, but I can see where people would want to put a screen protector on it. I've just never had much luck with them and like I said, I prefer the feel of the naked screen.

Weird thing I was just noticing about this new one (typing on it now) ...actually a couple things; it feels like a newer hardware revision or something. The power, volume and camera buttons feel like they're made of a different material this time, one, and two, the camera rattles a little less than my original 1020 did. There's still a rattle, with the OIS, but not as "loose" sounding as my first one.

Hmmm I'd like to compare hardware revision numbers with anyone with an existing 1020.

Anyone got their number?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)