So I got my replacement 1020

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think when the 1520 gets here, I'm gonna do a clean install. (not restore my backup) start from scratch.. Thoughts?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The defender has a screen protector. I thought you didn't like the idea of screen protectors?

I don't... Really.... And I don't like the idea of a case on a beautiful Nokia.. But since I can't seem to hold onto these dang things, I'm gonna have to get one.

I'd like a case that protects the whole phone from falls (cracking the screen) a screen protector is optional.. As long as the case protects the screen from getting cracked, I'd prefer the screen naked/exposed for sensitivity and touch/feel reasons. Idk.. I just can't break another one!

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reassurance. Managing the size might be an issue as I usually keep my phone in my pocket... Maybe I can get a belt clip thing or something.. Hmmm

What about cases? I want Otterbox Defender protection without Otterbox ugly lol..

Hey you know what would be cool? If the 1520 got here and had 8.1 installed out of the box! lol

Yeah, I'm currently in the dev preview on the broken 1020. Still kinda bummed out about breaking another one... That makes one 920, and two 1020s that I've dropped and shattered the glass on... I WILL be purchasing a case for this 1520!

Any recommendations?

From the sounds of it you will need Spidy Grip lol BTW just wondering you could have replaced the 1020 screen twice over for the amount you spent on the warranty

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, i know but the only place I could find locally was $150 and it was "drop off my phone to them"... I cant go without my phone, so this was the best way (since this broken screen 1020 is still working technically. And all I had to do was call it in, I didn't have to go anywhere, and it'll be shipped right to my door. Refurbed from the factory too, instead of Jose down the road lol

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just looking at the Asurion website (the company that handles AT&T's phone insurance claims) and they are indeed, according to my account, sending me an AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 BLACK.

Black? Does this mean the 32GB AT&T model??? Oh man I hope so... that would really make me happy!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Damn... I was just thinking "what about my 1020's camera grip?" Maybe I could sell it on here...

Nah... I just need to buy another 1020 eventually for it!

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't... Really.... And I don't like the idea of a case on a beautiful Nokia.. But since I can't seem to hold onto these dang things, I'm gonna have to get one.

I'd like a case that protects the whole phone from falls (cracking the screen) a screen protector is optional.. As long as the case protects the screen from getting cracked, I'd prefer the screen naked/exposed for sensitivity and touch/feel reasons. Idk.. I just can't break another one!

The incipio dualpro protects really well. I know a couple people who has it (for a different phone, non Lumia) and one of them dropped a couple times, once face down and another time flat on the back. Nothing broken at all. Though both has screen protectors, one glass and one urethane. The one who has the urethane screen protector plans to go back to glass screen protector but my point is that the case protects really well.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The incipio dualpro protects really well. I know a couple people who has it (for a different phone, non Lumia) and one of them dropped a couple times, once face down and another time flat on the back. Nothing broken at all. Though both has screen protectors, one glass and one urethane. The one who has the urethane screen protector plans to go back to glass screen protector but my point is that the case protects really well.
Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm a "glass" screen protector? Interesting... Got a link to those?

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
None of the glass screen protectors are really available to Lumia devices as they have the gorilla glass curved at the edges of them. There is one for a 1520 on amazon but from pictures I see it is sorta sloppy since it doesn't adhere to the edges. If you want to get a screen protector you would have better luck with urethane ones such as zagg, skinomi, and armorsuit.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to find a case that fits well locally and go from there...

And checking my tracking info, shows my 1520 BLACK arriving tomorrow AM!

Yaaaaaay

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still really curious to see this BLACK 1520 they're sending me tomorrow. I'd like to assume that since they're sending me a 1520 as a replacement for a 1020, that they might send me the Black 32GB model? I'm really going to hate having only 16GB if that's what I'm getting.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
And if this 1520 has stock 8.0 on it with Nokia Black firmware, at least I won't have to "roll back" to be able to get Cyan!

Interested to see if it'll come with Cyan out of the box. I wonder when the 1520's that they sell at the AT&T store will start coming with 8.1/Cyan preinstalled?

And I'm still wondering which method would be best to get the 1520 up to speed with my current setup. Clean install, or restore this cluttered backup? I have a lot more than 16GB of apps installed on my 1020 as of current...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So I guess I should rename this thread and get one of the mods to move it... to the 1520 section? Or to the "idiots that drop their phones" section?

Or maybe I'll just start a new thread.. though I do like this one. I'm gonna miss my 1020 and feeling like I belong in the 1020 photography group. :(

kkondapalli

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
My Wife's 1020 screen got shattered too recently and we didn't have any insurance on that.
So I found the screen with the digitizer on ebay for $130
- found a toolkit @ Amazon : 16-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad, iPhone, & Other Devices - Star Drive Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
- and replaced the screen myself by following this video:
Nokia Lumia 1020 Digitizer Touch Screen Replacement + Battery Pull Reset - YouTube.

Its super easy and it took me 15 min to replace the whole thing.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My Wife's 1020 screen got shattered too recently and we didn't have any insurance on that.
So I found the screen with the digitizer on ebay for $130
- found a toolkit @ Amazon : 16-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad, iPhone, & Other Devices - Star Drive Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
- and replaced the screen myself by following this video:
Nokia Lumia 1020 Digitizer Touch Screen Replacement + Battery Pull Reset - YouTube.

Its super easy and it took me 15 min to replace the whole thing.

Of course this is always an option. The DIY method always comes at some risk though, like no warranty (the insurance replacement has a 12 month). And how long till you have the parts, and the tools, and have it all back together good as new?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Of course this is always an option. The DIY method always comes at some risk though, like no warranty (the insurance replacement has a 12 month). And how long till you have the parts, and the tools, and have it all back together good as new?

My another Two cents worth for Ed talks to himself thread.

I had got a grey import on 1020 with 1 year warranty. 3 months later the loudspeaker carcked it. Tried all the resets +1 didnt work. Falshed to Au version HK version nothing worked. I thought If I need to send it by mail to another city and they claim that it was water damage no point. Took it to the nearest shop, got it checked out they said Speaker is busted.(Duh) Waited for one week for the part to be flown in I drive back to the shop only to be told that the entire back panel has to be replaced. Oh well one more week nothing happened. So I tried another shop he said the Board is faultyat which I thought how can he say that in 15 mins just asking about the history and 10 mins of looking at the inside. Well anyway the part arrived at the first shop. I go there only to be told oh the board is faulty. Grrrrr So in all this confusion I lost like another month and half, I had no choice but to contact the seller who obviously said I need to mail it out to another city. Skeptic that I was I already verified it with the first repair center that there was no water damage. The center that I mailed it to needed 2- 3 weeks to look at it he followed the same elimination process and the seller told me what I already knew. At this point they tell me that it will be sent to another repair center to be looked at (ofcource it will take another 3-4 weeks. Grrr In the mean time I negotiated with the seller about getting a new phone seeing that It was hardly 3 months old and also because I was F*&*ed around so much. He said It will be done only if the second centre couldnt fix it by the end of the 4th week. On the last day of the 4th week I was asked to send my mailing address( i think they were buying time) they mailed it out the next day and I got it the day after.
turned it on only to find that the problem remianed. i checked to see if the board was replaced and it was. but still no sound. I even opened it up to see if the connectors were all hooked up which it was but nothing happened. The reason I say they bought time was that the Welcome SMS was just 20 hours old. which means they seller when he told me that it was fixed, it wasnt. He asked me to send it to RMA dept in the same city which was done. Only to be told that I hadnt mailed him the accessories!!! I wasnt asked to. So I send the whole lot back except the grip(which btw was in the same box as the phone) as it was an added extra in the order. I get a brand new phone a few days later from HK only to find that the accessories were missing!!! I think the new phone was to go to the RMA dept where they would throw in my accessories and send it back claiming it to be all new. I was furious as I wasted time and money to send accessories only to get back the same stuff? I asked him why and till date no Answer. I coudnt give a Rats Ar$3 if I dont get new accessories. Just let me know. Why try to pull a shifty only to be caught without explanation?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Another two cents to the Ed and Skamath thread :p

So in all I prefer not to send the phone to any mailing address even if the company is a reputable one. I rather have it in a shop with a person in front of me doing what he is to be doing best and not pulling any shifties. I got my phone for around half price than what shops here sell and yet paid almost double if not more than what they sell for in the US market( US and AU $ almost equal at that time) Go Figure. In exchange all of 3 months of waiting travelling to shops a few times, mailing to addresses which I dont like, have to pay for mailing only to try to make you believe you are getting the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb