Lumia Icon is apparently compatible with Verizon XLTE.

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I got a brand new Lumia Icon to replace the HTC 8x I had. Well I read on this site and other sites that the icon is one of 2 Windows phones (the other being Samsung Ativ se) compatible with Verizon's XLTE. Once my area gets it will data be faster on my phone, or is this just some dumb marketing gimick Verizon came up with?

skiahh

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
ANY 4G Verizon phone is compatible with XLTE. It's a marketing gimick; they just increased bandwidth on their LTE network, but it's still LTE.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Not quite true. XLTE is also 4g, but it uses the aws band spectrum. So since its a different band, there are phones that are and are not compatible. Now, any phone that is capable gets bumped to the new spectrum, alleviating congestion on the original 4g lte network, so even the older phones benefit.
Marketing still making it more than what it is, but it's not all gimmick

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I wish they changed the logo in the top left corner to show your in xLTE coverage. I was working in a area where they must of upgraded it, as it was almost 3x the speed of LTE. Impressive...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes. That would help. Supposedly, xLTE is here in Honolulu, however, I can't seem to find it. I've been downtown several times and my performance has been average LTE or worse.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That would help. Supposedly, xLTE is here in Honolulu, however, I can't seem to find it. I've been downtown several times and my performance has been average LTE or worse.

Only way I found to test it is to download Microsoft's Network tester app, when your in the area do a speed test in a few areas. You will see a MAJOR boost in speed when your in a xLTE area, in fact for me, it was 3-4 times as fast. This is for at least for download speeds, upload was maybe 20-50% faster.

CommieCOZY

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Only way I found to test it is to download Microsoft's Network tester app, when your in the area do a speed test in a few areas. You will see a MAJOR boost in speed when your in a xLTE area, in fact for me, it was 3-4 times as fast. This is for at least for download speeds, upload was maybe 20-50% faster.
The boost will drop over time as more and more phones have AWS capable radios. Enjoy it while it lasts.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I use the Speedtest.net app. Does that make a difference?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the Speedtest.net app. Does that make a difference?

Not sure if it does or not, I just tried the Microsoft one a while ago, it's simple and seems very accurate, I assume any speed test should work here.

Your results may vary....

The boost will drop over time as more and more phones have AWS capable radios. Enjoy it while it lasts.

True....just a matter of time..

Reminds me of the old days, I had a old cordless 900mhz home phone, ONLY one in the area, from my home I could go 3-4 streets over and would not lose a signal.

A year later....Could not even leave the front of my home...as everyone got one....till I moved to 2.4ghz and it was good, for a while...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss