Probably switching back to my iPhone

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Nokia Lumia Icon on eBay for $375 2 weeks ago, because I thought I would love Windows Phone as I love Windows 8. I have been using an iPhone basically since they came out. The camera on the Nokia Icon was also a huge selling point. After about of week of using, I just couldn't adjust to the phone and its differences. The following are issues that I had that maybe I can get help with or hear what other people's thoughts are...

Issues:
Only way to wake the phone is to press the button onto he side which is not very quick.
The camera was pretty slow.
Swapping between the front an rear camera was not easily accessible or intuitive.
Putting the phone on vibrate is not as simple as the flip of a switch like on the iPhone, it takes a while to unlock the phone then adjust it.
Changing any of the emission settings (WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode) requires the phone be unlocked.
The phone was a little large for me.
Cortland can't search anything without being unlocked.
Bluetooth LE is not supported with the developer preview with WP8.1, I know I can downgrade.
Apps don't seem nearly as finished, features missing, apps missing. (well known of course)

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome 😊. Well for a start, you should have done a thorough research on the cons of Windows Phone 8. And since you've already bought 1. I suggest you give at least a month for it to grows on you.

As for apps you could try to find great alternatives in the forums here if not you should really not rely on WP8 for your apps as I believe the store is still not 'there' yet for some.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
1. You can use double tap to wake up the phone.
2. Default Microsoft Camera is pretty quick though
3. You can set-up quick toggles in Camera app (including front/rear camera).
4. Agree, pretty handy feature, but not too much important (I have iPhone 4).
5. These settings are changing the same way as in iOS, just swap from the top (WP) instead of the bottom (iOS).
7. Did you mean Cortana? You can do speak to Cortana while the phone will be locked. Although if you will set-up a PIN, it might require to input the PIN (works exactly the same as in iOS).
8. BT LE will work in Cyan.
9. Apps apps apps (developers developers developers (c) Balmer).

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Go to touch settings, there should be a setting to wake up the phone there by double tapping the screen. Since you're very new to windows phone, some things might seem unintuitive and slow, but it will get better when you get used to everything on the new phone.

upnort

May 5, 2014
Visit site
The OP said they got the Icon. No double tap to wake. Like you I found those to be minor annoyances but I like everything else about WP. I would suggest you wait to see if any of those issues are addressed with the Cyan update.

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I put it back on eBay hoping to get what I paid for it, but If it doesn't sell, then I will try it again after Cyan is released. I am in the US using Verizon, and what I saw was that it would be out sometime in July.

I went to the MS store and the guy said you double tap it, but that doesn't appear to work on the Icon with WP8.1. Also for some reason the phone gets randomly hot as if the apps continue to run when the phone is in standby. Hopefully this is fixed with WP8.1 Final. What are quick toggles? I was using the Nokia Camera app as every review and post pretty much said it was the best. The iPhone does not require you to unlock the phone with the pin just to change the WiFi and Bluetooth settings.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I also used iPhone from the very beginning. Went through 4 generations of iPhones, then switched to Windows Phone when the Nokia Lumia 920 and WP8 came out. I've since upgraded to the 1020 and love it! (especially with the 8.1 DP!) After using WP for almost a couple years now, I picked up my old iphone 4 the other day and thought "how did I get by with this?" Seriously, give it some time.. it'll grow on you!

Aaron Yawn

May 2, 2013
Visit site
KC - the heat issue you are experiencing is due to a preview with no firmware. It actually isn't an app IMO. I believe it is the OS failing to properly come out of background actions and gets stuck in loop to bring start screen back. I have had the issue for awhile now and it has been getting worse, so I am looking forward to the firmware release.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Does visual voicemail cost money with WP? Just noticed I don't have it.

Visual Voicemail is dependent on the carrier. It has nothing to do with the OS although some phones may not support it. I believe Verizon charges $2.99/month. I have AT&T and it is included at no extra charge, at least with the plan that I am on.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I had a iPhone since the 2nd Generation and I switched to the 1020 last August I love it and I sold my iPad and also got the 2520 tablet, give the phone you got a while it did take me a little bit to really understand somethings but I will say I have a DSLR Camera and my phone was the camera I used for my first trip to Hawaii last fall I couldn't be happier with the pictures and video

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Visual Voicemail is dependent on the carrier. It has nothing to do with the OS although some phones may not support it. I believe Verizon charges $2.99/month. I have AT&T and it is included at no extra charge, at least with the plan that I am on.
And I think on the phone, to set it up, you have to call the voicemail number the first time, and give it a password if you want. Then the visual will work.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
And as far as the 8.1 dev preview goes, I believe a hard reset following the 8.1 update install really helps clean things up where it'll run a lot better. (it worked for me!) To do a hard reset, first make sure your phone is set up with your Microsoft account and back everything up (settings/backup), then go to settings/about/reset phone. This will restore your phone to factory settings, but with the 8.1DP as the OS (fresh and clean!) then once it starts up the first time, it'll ask you to log into your Microsoft account and from there restore the backup you made.

My 1020 runs 8.1 buttery smooth!

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes visual voice mail cost money with Windows phone. Android has this problem to. IPhone users get it free because apple held visual voicemail as part of iphone free over the network providers heads so they could get iPhone. AT&T was an iPhone exclusive provider at launch because of it. But don't let that keep you from using windows phone. I say think about what you want to do first.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Issues:
Only way to wake the phone is to press the button onto he side which is not very quick.
The camera was pretty slow.
Swapping between the front an rear camera was not easily accessible or intuitive.
Putting the phone on vibrate is not as simple as the flip of a switch like on the iPhone, it takes a while to unlock the phone then adjust it.
Changing any of the emission settings (WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode) requires the phone be unlocked.
The phone was a little large for me.
Cortland can't search anything without being unlocked.
Bluetooth LE is not supported with the developer preview with WP8.1, I know I can downgrade.
Apps don't seem nearly as finished, features missing, apps missing. (well known of course)

I had an iPhone and now have an Icon.

Double tap to wake should be coming with the Lumia Cyan.
Microsoft Camera is faster but not as advanced.
Microsoft Camera has programmable quick settings.
Not as fast, but you don't need to unlock. Wake the phone, press one of the volume keys, expand by pressing the down arrow, turn vibrate on and disable ringer if you want.
The pull down notification shade can be accessed while on the lock screen, where you can toggle most settings on and off.
Personal preference.
Hold down the Search button while on the lock screen to access Cortana directly.
Bluetooth LE is coming back with Lumia Cyan.
Apps will improve and come in time.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
have you tried ProShot? it is the fastest camera app in the store and it has full manual control like you get from a DSLR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb