Newbie Question... 16mp images?

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok so we have a lovely day today, I have taken a few pics and they do actually look awesome.

Setting to 4:3 and using Nokia cam beta. And the stock app.

I'll get then onto my laptop later and see what they are like.

Maybe its the low light images that are an issue. iPhone is a pretty good all round camera, but the Nokia ones do seem more advanced with more control.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Your confused? imagine a regular customer deciding between WP and Android/iOS

What a stupid thing MSFT has done

Yeah ots a very very stupid move. Mu friend who loves to take pictures. Was very interested in a 1020. When he got to play with one, he told me the images are blury and pixelate when you zoom in, he even told me that his note 2 takes better photos.

Of course thats a problem of many causes. 1 device at display are not usually up-to-date.
Add to that the confusion going around in this thread. It lead to him passing on the 1020 and waiting for something else. He might be getting a g3 now.

Thats just sad msft and Nokia.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
They could have solved this by easily giving a small indicator on the screen on whether you are looking at the 5mp camera or the 16mp one. Maybe at the top right corner.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have just one last suggestion for high resolution images, it involves cutting 5 Megapixel images completely out of the picture.

qebu8era.png

Download the app 1shot by Invoke IT Limited, it is a pretty amazing app that allows you to see how many Megapixels an image is being taken at, if you zoom in it will show you how many megapixels you are sacrificing.

It only takes one photo on your desired Megapixels. It also supports continuous focus(enable it from settings).

If you face any issues with the app you can tweet the creator @ hermitdave
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Matthias Verboven

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am now officially confused. I might just try it out when I am at the mall next.

So, can you or can't you, snap a full resolution picture, and upload it directly to onedrive? I am getting really confused.
And, can you or can't you, access that full resolution picture on the phone's default photo gallery?
And, if you plug in the phone to the computer, will you be able to open the full resolution photos without additional software required apart from Microsoft's default picture viewer?

If you go to the OneDrive website you can see the full resolution image. You can't see the full res image on the OneDrive app or in the photo app.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just sent one of the pics I took to my other half's iPhone. Now I can see the difference between the 2 devices. Even she was impressed.

So I think I need to play more with the settings.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions :) keep them coming

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just sent one of the pics I took to my other half's iPhone. Now I can see the difference between the 2 devices. Even she was impressed.

So I think I need to play more with the settings.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions :) keep them coming

Does Nokia Camera have continuous focus, like the iPhone 5S?

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody take the damn time to read the manual anymore???? We live in an age of instant gratification... Take it out , don't read any manuals or tutorials... And then complain when we don't get it or accuse the company of false advertisement. People ,please read your paperwork, its really that simple!

If you want to view a High Res image on the phone....First it has to be taken with Nokia camera not MSFT....while viewing it in the camera roll (this is the 5mp version)...Click the "open in Nokia Camera " at the bottom of the photo....This takes you to the High Res photo... This allows you to recrop and zoom in to create another 5mp photo !!! This is done because it is a hell of alot easier to share the 5mp, social media will not except the High Res or Raw files! You can still access them via PC for additional editing , saving ,etc

OneDrive does save HighRes images!!!

And on a personal note , if you think Nokia Pureview camera tech is superseded by Iphones, Galxys, or Notes.... You are obviously blind! or flat out DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE CAMERA

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody take the damn time to read the manual anymore???? We live in an age of instant gratification... Take it out , don't read any manuals or tutorials... And then complain when we don't get it or accuse the company of false advertisement. People ,please read your paperwork, its really that simple!

If you want to view a High Res image on the phone....First it has to be taken with Nokia camera not MSFT....while viewing it in the camera roll (this is the 5mp version)...Click the "open in Nokia Camera " at the bottom of the photo....This takes you to the High Res photo... This allows you to recrop and zoom in to create another 5mp photo !!! This is done because it is a hell of alot easier to share the 5mp, social media will not except the High Res or Raw files! You can still access them via PC for additional editing , saving ,etc

And on a personal note , if you think Nokia Pureview camera tech is superseded by Iphones, Galxys, or Notes.... You are obviously blind! or flat out DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE CAMERA

You got a manual? Can I have a copy as its not even online yet or included in the box!!

I have my Nikon DSLR, and I was using an iPhone. But have moved to windows phone, mainly due to the apparent awesome camera. While most of your points make sense you need to realise the average user would not understand or care.

An average consumer would wonder if an iPhone, Samsung, Sony, HTC can do it one way why is the Nokia different. It would put many people off!

As per my previous post, it was not until my missus sent me a pic of our son I saw the massive difference. To confirm I sent her pics of some flowers and the difference was impressive! And that's just the 5mp image!

On a side note, your post was quite insulting considering this is a forum and the info shared thus far in this thread was informative, your post not only repeated what others said but was done so in an insulting way. Forums are meant for seeking help, advise and support. I think its wrong for you to go on the attack as you did.

Matthias Verboven

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Hey man, take a chill pill. Telling this the normal way gets the job done too.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Damn..what is this guys problem? I am also wondering. What I learnt so far is this....

1) take pics using the beta camera
2) change aspect to 4:3
3) view pics using beta camera (tap the top right screen on the pic icon)

That's all there is I believe. I just worked it out (I think) please correct me if I am wrong on any of them 3 simple steps. What I done is zoomed in on camera roll and zoomed in on beta camera using the same pics. I can zoom in a lot more using the beta camera so I am guessing that has the most pixels

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Tried one shot and found it pretty reassuring that it shows you the pixel count. However ...... Comparing it to Nokia camera beta...well.....camera better is better? You can zoom in more and a great object to test it on is a coke can.. I can make out the small writing...with one shot I can't zoom in that much. I will stick to 4.3 on camera beta for Nokia I think. Hope all this helps.

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It is really annoying with all these threads, and all because people do not take the time to read the material that comes with their device! And then bad mouth the OS and or manufacture all because they refuse to take the time to READ and Watch tutuorials... WP,MSFFT/Nokia all ready have an uphill battle , they do not need people bad-mouthing the product because the user refuses to take the time to learn!!!!

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Why does a customer have to learn how to take a photo with an app and then have to learn how to view the full resolution photo. It's comical!

Imagine telling a regular customer this process, they will just be like yeah I'll stick to iOS or android where it's much simpler.

My dad's S5 has the option of shooting in all resolutions and then sending the photo via whatever resolution you like.

There should be a similar option regardless of the storage space. What's the point of a 20mp camera if you can't take advantage of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because the Pureview cameras are very different than the Iphone cameras. I think it's stupid thinking a Nokia phone should act like a Iphone. It's really not hard, instead of skipping the tutorial that auto runs the 1st time you open the camera app, how about watch it to learn its features. You can also go back and watch them any time from the settings menu. I agree with the poster who says learn how to use your damn device before complaining...... I mean you buy a phone with a camera that is different than all others, has different features and you don't take the time to learn about it or the features, it should just be apparent? That's crazy. When I bought my 1st DLSR camera I spent a week learning how to use it & all the different features. And yes I watched all the tutorials when I got the ICON & learned how to use it. all Lumias with Pureview cameras come with Nokia Camera preloaded as the default camera app on the start screen & when you press the camera button.

Last edited:

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's a smartphone, not a PC and should not require a manual or tutorials. How would my dad for instance understand that, especially from coming from an iphone where it's tap to take photos and share.

The issue people are having is the unnecessary difficulty in taking high quality photos and sharing them. You shouldn't have to learn this, it should just work for every customer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, the people shouting to read the manual etc are the ones who are used to the strange way WP works with photos.

Android and iPhone are far easier to take snaps with, even though most pureview nokia's produce much better pictures.

Considering the simplicity of windows phone I'm surprised one of the most used features these days is not simpler.

Don't get me wrong I like WP and am glad to be back using it! And once I'm used to the camera ill be even happier!

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong about making stuff more user friendly. In fact, it will win consumers over. Else Windows might as well dump GUI and just stick to the old text format Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo