For the truely Determined. Is it possible to modify bands to get around the carrier exclusives?

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Now that Expansys-USA will be selling the Lumia 930 online, unlocked, sim free, it'll be easier to get one. But the consensus seems to be that they still won't work well here in US as it won't get 4G or LTE bands for ATT, TMo, Straight Talk...

Forgetting the cost of all this and whether it's worth it or not, voiding warranty etc (someone else can tackle that [I]on another thread[/I] please) if someone were willing to tear down the model, would it be possible to exchange some components to get the necessary bands here? If so, what would it take? New GPS/WLAN antenna 10042, MMO antenna 10043, Main antenna LTE 10044 ???

Please stay on-topic, this may be a very limited interest for tech geeks who are into tearing apart phones. No opinions about other phones or carrier exclusives or anything else. Please delete those comments and let this be for modifying only. Thanks.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: For the truely Determined. Any possible workaround to the 930 carrier exclusives?

I think we will probably get a 930.3 variant in a few months where we should not have to do that. The 1520 is available that way, the 1320 is available that way and I see no reason why we will not get a 930 that supports LTE on TMO. Keeping fingers crossed:)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: For the truely Determined. Any possible workaround to the 930 carrier exclusives?

The 930 will work on AT&T, you just won't get LTE data speeds. I had a 1520 with the same bands and it worked fine. I'm on wifi alot, and the 3g-4g speeds I normally got when I wasn't on wifi were just fine for web browsing, twitter, etc.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The 930 will work on AT&T, you just won't get LTE data speeds. I had a 1520 with the same bands and it worked fine. I'm on wifi alot, and the 3g-4g speeds I normally got when I wasn't on wifi were just fine for web browsing, twitter, etc.

That is true, H+ TMO is pretty fast. I only have that on my 810 and it consistently pulls down 18Mbps.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks but this thread wasn't about guessing when or if we'll get another variant, I don't want the 1520 or 1320. And I don't want a debate about if it'd be good enough without LTE.
The point of this thread was to talk about the possibilities of modifying the 930. That's it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa