What will be different with cyan update

thephiri2point1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the dev preview of 8.1 since it came out. I'm wondering what will be different when I get the cyan update? Will it be the same except just optimised for the phone or will there be any noticeable change

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Extra brightness option with a slider (able to configure the brightness with a slider), USB settings panel, uhm... and I think that's it.

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought, there also would be the option to customize your lock screen, with different animations. And as always with Lumia firmware, better camera things (living images).

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The major thing that almost everyone is omitting: The former fluidity of WP8.0 . The DP isn't not as smooth in operation as WP8.0. There's a constant minuscule stutter in everything your do.

Cyan should make everything perfectly smooth again. Oh, I can't wait. The same thing happened with GDR3 Preview. In conclusion, I'll never install the DP again.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think better bluetooth support as well (Bluetooth LE - low energy).

I hope it fixes the audio glitches as well... the glitches are pops when you skip through video (also you hear these pops in some games)... open a video, volume can be at any level, even off... start skipping orward and back through the video and you will hear pops every once in a while.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The major thing that almost everyone is omitting: The former fluidity of WP8.0 . The DP isn't not as smooth in operation as WP8.0. There's a constant minuscule stutter in everything your do.

Cyan should make everything perfectly smooth again. Oh, I can't wait. The same thing happened with GDR3 Preview. In conclusion, I'll never install the DP again.

I wouldn't hold your breath. If you're having issues with the DP, I don't think cyan is going to fix them. I wouldn't fault the "preview" since we are more or less on the final release and a majority of users are not having this issue. I've personally installed the DP on the following phones with no issue: 520 820 920 928 1020.

Something on *your phone* is wrong, unfortunately, nothing is inherently wrong with the DP in general.

Well in that case when is the official 8.1 released?

There might be a small patch in the future, but the "preview" is currently the same version that is RTM, so the preview is currently "official".

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath. If you're having issues with the DP, I don't think cyan is going to fix them. I wouldn't fault the "preview" since we are more or less on the final release and a majority of users are not having this issue. I've personally installed the DP on the following phones with no issue: 520 820 920 928 1020.

Something on *your phone* is wrong, unfortunately, nothing is inherently wrong with the DP in general.

There might be a small patch in the future, but the "preview" is currently the same version that is RTM, so the preview is currently "official".

In fact there's some issues for example battery and Nokia camera app, I don't know if this an issue but after checking my storage using the sense then go back to my start screen or takes about 30 seconds to show the icons of live tiles :/

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In fact there's some issues for example battery and Nokia camera app, I don't know if this an issue but after checking my storage using the sense then go back to my start screen or takes about 30 seconds to show the icons of live tiles :/

Like I said, the majority of users have no problems. Battery is not universally a problem- my battery life is equal to what it was on 8.0. If you have issues, you are likely participating in threads with other people experiencing the same issues, and confirmation bias would make it seem like this is a bug in 8.1 experienced by all, or most. It may be a bug in 8.1, or it may be that your install of 8.1 is bad, *but it only manifests through some conflict with your specific phones*, and this happens to a minority of users... Also note that the number of users registering with the forum to report errors are significantly higher than the number of users registering on the forum just to say they have no issues; I would imagine almost no one would start a thread if they did not need help.

Furthermore regarding battery life, I trust any given user's word about quality of battery life as much as I trust google: Not at all. No one provides data to back up their claim that the battery life "feels worse" or better. I tried to start a thread once with guidelines for recording and sharing battery life in an accurate, objective way... No takers. I'm not saying anyone is intentionally lying: humans aren't capable of accurately judging change with so many variables at play, and a new version of the OS is subject to "new device syndrome" (playing with it more than you usually would thus perceiving a worse battery life).

I have no such issue with storage sense.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I didn't notice any stutter on my 520 with the 8.1 preview, but it did seem to be "Resuming" quite a bit more often than with 8.0. Sometimes even with just one program running, I'd lock it and then see "resuming" when I woke it up. Resuming from what? I hope that will be improved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb