Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Boris,

Is that how you read it. All windows phones including Samsung Ativ S to be updated/upgraded to windows 10 phone? Or only Microsoft branded phones or the latest phones on the market?

I wonder if the specs on our Ativ S would be good enough for that to happen. It is a great phone but it is now 2-3 years old now...sadly

MS stated "All WP8 phones will be upgradeable to W10". So, since our ATIV S was released on WP8, that means YES. :)
If you know who Paul Thurrott is, then this news is valid one, here's the link:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-pho...8-handsets-will-get-windows-10-microsoft-says

kevcole1

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, i have followed Paul for some time...and will follow him over to his new site thurrott.com.

I am curious. I wonder if the slow (New Zealand) or non existent roll out of 8.1.1 occured because they decided to bring forward the release of Windows (phone) 10. Why bother with the current update when a fully new OS is just around the corner.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't know how to feel about upgrading Ativ S to W10, there are probably 50-50 chance it'll get updated. In december it was 2 years since it was relased, on other hand Microsoft prolonged support for WP to 3 years. They prolonged relasing 8.1 update but we got 8.1.1 (for some), which makes me thinking that they maybe stopped 8.1.1 update so they could work on W10. But i'm afraid it isn't the case as even preview wasn't relased....
Who knows, will see something after 21st, if we are able to get preview, there are big chance we will get it (official). But, could Microsoft force Samsung to make firmware, if they don't want? Hmmmm. For now we can only speculate :)

ranseb

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

depending on further updates for the ATIV S, I've found an interesting entry in the menu for data usage on my device:

wp_ss_20150116_0001.png

I've got the latest official update on 8.1.1 (OS: 8.10.14157.200, FW: 2424.14.9.3, CSC: DBT), no PfD
Anyone else got this? What do you think what kind of information is gathered for Cortana?

Last edited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

depending on further updates for the ATIV S, I've found an interesting entry in the menu for data usage on my device:

View attachment 93921

I've got the latest official update on 8.1.1 (OS: 8.10.14157.200, FW: 2424.14.9.3, CSC: DBT), no PfD
Anyone else got this? What do you think what kind of information is gathered for Cortana?

Would be nice if you had that screenshot in english tho :)
About Cortana info gathering, that is how Cortana works. See some videos about Cortana and you will understand the Cortana info gathering :)

kevcole1

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
frustrating as New Zealand does not have cortana, let alone 8.1.1 - I hope that they are more proactive bringing windows 10 phone to the market. Which i assume would be dis-seminated 2016?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't know how to feel about upgrading Ativ S to W10, there are probably 50-50 chance it'll get updated. In december it was 2 years since it was relased, on other hand Microsoft prolonged support for WP to 3 years. They prolonged relasing 8.1 update but we got 8.1.1 (for some), which makes me thinking that they maybe stopped 8.1.1 update so they could work on W10. But i'm afraid it isn't the case as even preview wasn't relased....
Who knows, will see something after 21st, if we are able to get preview, there are big chance we will get it (official). But, could Microsoft force Samsung to make firmware, if they don't want? Hmmmm. For now we can only speculate :)

Just think, why out of a sudden, MS is in argument with Samsung (or vice versa) over some royalties (blah blah blah) right before the MS event on january 21st and the other one in april or may. That's a perfect marketing, headlines holder. Now, I don't say all this is fake, it is very true, but they somehow put this in their advantage in the future collaboration. Just wait and see how magically MS and Samsung comes to a mutual solution, something like MS will cut some of the fines about the royalties and Samsung will get out with some high mid-ranger and high end smartphone. MS has the software, Samsung has the hardware that can make it happen, perfect match. Other thing is, right before the royalties dispute, Samsung announcing that they will cut the number of devices they are producing, why do you think that is? Those "ended" devices will be probably the new WP devices from Samsung. It's all somehow connected. WP is growing, despite the numbers some statistic companies are getting. If you ask me, those number can be easily changed and presented like that. Samsung knows something about Windows 10 that we don't know, and they will probably use that to get back in the WP market who is not small at all. They probably saw the potential Win10 is bringing. Their sales in Android market are dropping, so getting in alliance with MS and WP will probably raise thier domination in the smartphone world over Apple. MS need Samsung dominance, Samsung need efficient OS as Windows Phone (or Win 10 in this case). All those who says that MS doesn't need Samsung, think again, cuz you are deadly wrong about it.
Maybe I am dreaming too much, maybe, I don't know, but somehow i saw a connection to all this MS Samsung thing. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. So far i manage to predict some tech things, hope i am wright with this one too.
If you ask me.... NO.... Samsung will not leave thier WP users. We were far behind in updates to WP8.1 against Lumias and look at us now, we are even ahead of most of the Lumias who are running on WP8.1 but we are running on WP8.1.1.
I know some of us didn't get that update, but if this MS - Samsung things turns right, you might get straight from WP8 to W10.
And yes, ATIV S is a natural WP8 device, so that means it will get the Win10. Maybe we will lack some features from the new W10 cuz of hardware limitation, but we will get it. I believe, just as I believed that Samsung will get us the WP8.1 firmware. :)

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I have been using official 8.1 update on my ativ s for more than 2 month and I am very 😊 with it. These are my comments and questions (random order):
1. WI fi connection is better, it does not go offline when the display is off. The shared map of hotspots is cool
2. The notification system is better than Android now, wide and clear functionality. I just complain that some apps like Skype have not been optimized yet
3. The information in the top bar and in the lock screen is complete and smart now. The multiple volume options are ok, but the silence function could be friendlier
4. The start screen is awesome and more compact. To me live folders are the most advanced tool so far for efficiency and personalization of tasks in mobile devices
5. Graphical effects (start screen, search screen etc.) are improved. I just have a lag in the swipe to the app list screen, not so bothering. Maybe it is from my several live folders, with background too
6. More settings. Screen mirroring (wired) is cool, also battery, data, storage sense and children/company corner
7. The search bar is complete, now it is also possible to search files and settings ! Cortana ... well I do not have it in Italy yet
8. The call screen is smarter now. I just would have made clearer the one tap to call feature. Also the search by number still lacks
9. The app list is still only in alphabetical order, but the search in the store is easier
10. The new keyboard is simply amazing. I just don't like the cursor, I preferred the previous one. I expect the vocal key and a 'select all' key in win10.
11. The file explorer is ok. You can send any file by mail and Bluetooth now!
12. The new camera app is ok, very easy
13. The battery life is shorter, maybe this is because I tend to use it more. I seldom can reach dinner time
14. If I stay with WiFi, the mobile connection is automatically turned off. Well the battery is not affected by its manual switching anymore, is it?
15. Is Bluetooth 4.0 really enabled? How to check it?
16. When the device turns off for low battery and I plug it, it stays some minutes before rebooting, this is a boring firmware bug, is it not?
17. I almost forgot it. Internet explorer is one of the biggest improvements (videos, read mode, private browsing passwords saving, and sync features). The synchronization has been extended in the whole ms platform with 8.1. Let's look forward now!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been using official 8.1 update on my ativ s for more than 2 month and I am very �� with it. These are my comments and questions (random order):
1. WI fi connection is better, it does not go offline when the display is off. The shared map of hotspots is cool
2. The notification system is better than Android now, wide and clear functionality. I just complain that some apps like Skype have not been optimized yet
3. The information in the top bar and in the lock screen is complete and smart now. The multiple volume options are ok, but the silence function could be friendlier
4. The start screen is awesome and more compact. To me live folders are the most advanced tool so far for efficiency and personalization of tasks in mobile devices
5. Graphical effects (start screen, search screen etc.) are improved. I just have a lag in the swipe to the app list screen, not so bothering. Maybe it is from my several live folders, with background too
6. More settings. Screen mirroring (wired) is cool, also battery, data, storage sense and children/company corner
7. The search bar is complete, now it is also possible to search files and settings ! Cortana ... well I do not have it in Italy yet
8. The call screen is smarter now. I just would have made clearer the one tap to call feature. Also the search by number still lacks
9. The app list is still only in alphabetical order, but the search in the store is easier
10. The new keyboard is simply amazing. I just don't like the cursor, I preferred the previous one. I expect the vocal key and a 'select all' key in win10.
11. The file explorer is ok. You can send any file by mail and Bluetooth now!
12. The new camera app is ok, very easy
13. The battery life is shorter, maybe this is because I tend to use it more. I seldom can reach dinner time
14. If I stay with WiFi, the mobile connection is automatically turned off. Well the battery is not affected by its manual switching anymore, is it?
15. Is Bluetooth 4.0 really enabled? How to check it?
16. When the device turns off for low battery and I plug it, it stays some minutes before rebooting, this is a boring firmware bug, is it not?
17. I almost forgot it. Internet explorer is one of the biggest improvements (videos, read mode, private browsing passwords saving, and sync features). The synchronization has been extended in the whole ms platform with 8.1. Let's look forward now!

15 is what I'd like to know as well as I don't have any BT 4.0 devices to test. 16 is not a bug, it's basically making sure the battery has enough of a charge to boot the device. For 14 the Mobile connection is still active, you can see this with the little arrows above the Mobile data connection and Wifi connection icons. The phone will use both connections intelligently. Cortana is available in Italy Cortana alpha for Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States) gives you instructions on how to set it up.

ranseb

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Would be nice if you had that screenshot in english tho :)
About Cortana info gathering, that is how Cortana works. See some videos about Cortana and you will understand the Cortana info gathering :)

Well, I know how Cortana works, but it's quite surprising that the app is already gathering info, even though it isn't installed, or even officially released already. And concerning the screenshot, it should also be understandable for those who don't speak German. 😉

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
15 is what I'd like to know as well as I don't have any BT 4.0 devices to test. 16 is not a bug, it's basically making sure the battery has enough of a charge to boot the device. For 14 the Mobile connection is still active, you can see this with the little arrows above the Mobile data connection and Wifi connection icons. The phone will use both connections intelligently. Cortana is available in Italy Cortana alpha for Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States) gives you instructions on how to set it up.

They say "For France, Italy, Germany, or Spain, you'll need OS version 8.10.14219.341 or later."

Current OS Version for Ativ S is 8.10.14203.306

They removed the 8.10.14219.341 update for Ativ S due to the infinite loop bug.

No one has bothered to inform us about when we are going to get Cortana Alpha.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply.
14. Actually I do not see any mobile data connection icon, which is replaced by the WiFi icon, when this is connected. Below that I just see the availability (E, H, H+,...). Anyway this intelligent system seems to make the manual switching of the connections less important, at least for an "online user"
15. To my knowledge a bt4 device would seamlessly connect to a bt3 phone. The difference would be only the lack of the low energy mode. If I am right, will we check that by observing the battery behaviour?
16. Before the update there was no 'enough charge condition'. If the engineers have made it on purpose as you say, this should bring some battery advantage over the other models. I think that condition, in common phones, is eventually active only on extraordinary low charge states. I do not see any reason to give the whole current to the battery, even from a powerful adapter.
For Cortana in Italy, as Dragone (non era meglio Pegasus? 😊) said, ativ is stuck on 14203.206 at most. A mysterious start-up crash occurred with 14219.341, pushing the phone into a terrible limbo (they say).
The mysteries of Samsung 😊

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I know how Cortana works, but it's quite surprising that the app is already gathering info, even though it isn't installed, or even officially released already. And concerning the screenshot, it should also be understandable for those who don't speak German. ��

Well, that means that you do have Cortana, change your language format to English UK or English US, and restart your phone, you will have Cortana :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply.
14. Actually I do not see any mobile data connection icon, which is replaced by the WiFi icon, when this is connected. Below that I just see the availability (E, H, H+,...). Anyway this intelligent system seems to make the manual switching of the connections less important, at least for an "online user"
15. To my knowledge a bt4 device would seamlessly connect to a bt3 phone. The difference would be only the lack of the low energy mode. If I am right, will we check that by observing the battery behaviour?
16. Before the update there was no 'enough charge condition'. If the engineers have made it on purpose as you say, this should bring some battery advantage over the other models. I think that condition, in common phones, is eventually active only on extraordinary low charge states. I do not see any reason to give the whole current to the battery, even from a powerful adapter.
For Cortana in Italy, as Dragone (non era meglio Pegasus? ��) said, ativ is stuck on 14203.206 at most. A mysterious start-up crash occurred with 14219.341, pushing the phone into a terrible limbo (they say).
The mysteries of Samsung ��

I think Dragone is talking about WP8.1 PfD. I have the official WP8.1 + the official Samsung firmware 8.1.1, I have Cortana and all the great things, I love my ATIV S now even more :) it works perfectly in any way.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Which Language/country are you using ?
OS version ?

in Settings/Region:
Country/Region: Macedonia, Republic of
Regional format: match phone language
in Settings/Language: English (United Kingdom)
With this setting i have English Cortana. If I change Language to English (United States) and leave Country/Region the same and Regional format the same (match phone language), I'll get the US Cortana, the original one.
wp_ss_20150119_0001.png

WP8.1 Update (GDR1):
OS Version: 8.10.14157.200
Firmware revision number: 2424.14.9.4
Radio Software version: 2424.14.9.4
Bootloader version: 14.09.3.16
CSC Version: I8750OXXDNI4
CSC: NEE
(No Preview for Developers at all)

Last edited:

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
in Settings/Region:
Country/Region: Macedonia, Republic of
Regional format: match phone language
in Settings/Language: English (United Kingdom)
With this setting i have English Cortana. If I change Language to English (United States) and leave Country/Region the same and Regional format the same (match phone language), I'll get the US Cortana, the original one.
View attachment 94152

WP8.1 Update (GDR1):
OS Version: 8.10.14157.200
Firmware revision number: 2424.14.9.4
Radio Software version: 2424.14.9.4
Bootloader version: 14.09.3.16
CSC Version: I8750OXXDNI4
CSC: NEE
(No Preview for Developers at all)

So you don't have Cortana in French Dutch or Italian, am i right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo