Lumia 930 overheating!

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
After 6 days, my battery lasts a day and it no longer burns my hand on charge. The only things I did was disabled background running of battery saver app and changed all my email syncs to anything other than "based on my usage".

My 930 still gets very hot under charge and the battery is barely lasting a working day. I've just taken it off charge at 100% and it's telling my I have 17 hours left. I've just done what you've suggested and I'll report back if that improves things. Would disabling other apps from running in the background help?

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Why you always looking what phone saiing ? 17H left...

I mean, its only a sensor, try for yourself how long battery will stay.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Why you always looking what phone saiing ? 17H left...

I mean, its only a sensor, try for yourself how long battery will stay.

Ok just comparing to what other user's "sensors" have quoted (over 20 hours from full charge).

My 930 has been unplugged from the charger for 3 hours and is currently at 70% after light use...

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
After a few days your hands will have callousness so u wont feel the heat anymore.....
Only kidding. Mine is running cooler now that its a few days old, mind u I've most of background tasks disabled

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The quad core CPU in my PC needs a massive heat sink and fan for it not to explode. Be grateful you get so much power in a phone.

Never rely on the time remaining for the battery, it works it out from the last 15 minutes of use. So if you're playing a game for 15 minutes and then check your battery, the time remaining will be very low. If you don't use your phone for 15 minutes and your battery says 17 hours remaining, don't expect 17 hours of hars gaming.

Haiden Bailey1

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. The phone gets hotter than my radiators in my flat, down the entire right hand side of the phone it's boiling hot from just a tiny use of reading the morning use. Also battery went from 100% to 97% in the space of less than five minutes. I have another problem with this handset which is the light sensor on the screen, when I make a phone call the screen goes off as normal so you don't button mash when it's up to your ear but when you take it away from your ear nothing happens, you have no access to the phone, you can't hang up or access any menus. When you press the lock button the screen flashes on and off. I took it into the phones4u store near my work and they said it was the light sensor and it will have to go back to the shop I bought it from. Which I plan on doing in around 2 hours. All in all I'm not really impressed with this latest handset from nokia.

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Got mine Thursaday and it's got to be returned the heat issue has caused the polycarbonate shell to come loose from the phone. NOT HAPPY

Gerard Beffers

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I got my Lumia 930 today. I took it out of the box and started it up but it got very hot. I could not keep in my hand any longer. Is there already a solution for this problem? I reset the phone but the problem stays.

Strange and that for a new model. Thats bad news for Nokia and Microsoft.

chada398

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Had two Lumia 930 over a week. One had clicky back, the other rattling volume key. Battery life was poor, even flight mode/battery saver could not stop it dropping. Also, I can say I prefer LCD of 1520 over amoled of 930. Just more accurate and consistent. But, I really loved the phone, size, speed, camera and am disappointed to have to return to 720 temporarily. I still recommend the phone and will look at getting another one when I return home, hopefully without issues.

alextrela

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello got my new Lumia 930 white 1 week ego and tomorrow I will sent it back to the store for refund.
All that overheating issue is totally unexceptable.
I got my first WP device the 920 one and half year ego and had the same issue and I was hoping that with the 930 MS/Nokia would have resolve that issue with the heating witch is very common to all High end WP device like 925 and 1020.
With only just 5 minutes browsing with wifi and get hot and if extend to 15 minutes it get very hot.

What was MS/Nokia thinking releasing device with that very serious issue.
4 months from announcement to be released and why not make any kind test quality control over the 930.
This is ridiculous and I'm not going to trust MS/Nokia in the futures until they resolve the heat issue.
Between my 920 and 930 I had 4 android flagship(Xperia ZL,G2,HTC M8 and now having Xperia Z2) and non of the them having such heat issue.

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Has MS or even Nokia accepted there is an issue and told us what it is and they would come up with a solution? I haven't heard a bean from them

alextrela

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Has MS or even Nokia accepted there is an issue and told us what it is and they would come up with a solution? I haven't heard a bean from them

Until now,no I haven't heard anything from MS/Nokia.
What are they waiting for.
It can't be with so many users having that issue just a matter of simple defective unit.
That's the reason I didn't ask for replacement but only refund.

ThomasWeiss

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, you mostly hear about people having the issue here, so it's rather impossible to guess whether it's the majority of users or not. I will swap mine for a new next week (white wasn't in stock anymore) and see if there is any difference... I've had it for 8 days now and I can't say it has improved.

Grumpster

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
After 10 days of average using my Lumia 930 got heat like a fresh coffee while charging and my battery drained from 90 % to 82 % in 2 minutes.

After a reboot, phone cooled down a little bit but the issue was still there.

What really cooled my phone down and fast was setting the Battery Saver to OFF from "Conserve battery life" -> "When battery is low".

Note: I turned ON the Battery Saver after 9 days of average using.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got my Lumia 930 today. I took it out of the box and started it up but it got very hot. I could not keep in my hand any longer. Is there already a solution for this problem? I reset the phone but the problem stays.

Strange and that for a new model. Thats bad news for Nokia and Microsoft.

Mine heated up right out of the box too but that was because it was auto updating a whole bunch of apps. After that the heat hasn't been an issue anymore. I have had the phone for 5 days now.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah I just realized, turn off data when you're not using it and turn of wifi when you're using data. Running both at the same time caused my lumia to heat up a lot and the battery to drain, maybe that is the problem

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
GUYS, THE SIMPLIEST INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO GET RID OF OVERHEATING!

1. Wait for the software updates!

C'mon if you have been using Windows Phone for years like me, you'd know that it is usual for new Lumias especially high end to overheat and nothing will really help until software gets proper optimized.
So why they didn't release a phone that works out of the package?
Unfortunately the way Lumias are built especially with all these Zeiss lenses and wireless charging and combination of either thick plastic or metal frames together with complexity of Windows kernel it is impossible to have everything 100% optimized without first sending it into hands of customers. Everyone of us has a completely different combination of apps on the phone and therefore Microsoft has first to learn from us what causes these issue before being able to make them right. SO again people WAIT PLEASE....it'll be all good soon!

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm scared to get the 930 now due to this thread :(

Don't be, what you see here is an exaggeration of the problem due to people usualy only coming to a forum to state something is wrong rather then state everything is working fine. This issue isn't a majority issue and I got two Lumia 930's from Phones4U on Thursday (one for me and one for my mum). Also my friend yesterday loved my phone and was due an upgrade so he also went to a different Phones4U and picked up a Lumia 930 and has absolutely no overheating issue.

I didn't do anything special to set up my mums or my phone and I neither did my mate so besides let all the apps update as usual and then remove all the ones you don't need first, then setup your start screen and voila!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa