Lumia 930 overheating!

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My 930 gets hot when using it like web browsing for example. However, never so hot I would burn myself or feel discomfort. Now, I know that the Qualcomm platforms have myriad of sensors placed at different places. In practice it would be impossible to get the situation like the picture with the burnt display because the CPU and GPU would throttle way before that could happen. Now, the Qualcomm platform is mainly developed for Android and Linux and that leaves the question how well Microsoft have implemented the thermal throttling. Overheating simply doesn't happen on Android because of the sensors throttling kicks in but I think Microsoft have disregarded the thermal sensors in the scheduling which potentially harmed the phone physically. Again I think that Microsoft has provided us with a flawed software.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that the Icon had a large copper heat dissipation tape over the bottom half of the phone, that extends up over the battery. The 930 I bought did not have that. So, I just took that tape from an Icon I had, and put it into my 930. Later tonight, I'll try some games that caused it to get a little hot last night, and see if that makes a difference. You can see the tape in my post under the "opened the back up" thread - it was attached to the Icon motherboard in the pic I posted.

I'll report back later to see if that takes care of it.

ALOK RANJAN198159

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
i am facing same heating problem with my lumia 930 device. Purchased a week before and it is heating when i playing subway surfer... chatting on Whats app... surfing on internet. What should i do ?? There are no firmware update for India Now.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
i am facing same heating problem with my lumia 930 device. Purchased a week before and it is heating when i playing subway surfer... chatting on Whats app... surfing on internet. What should i do ?? There are no firmware update for India Now.

I've experienced some overheating before the denim update. But mostly when playing games. And slight heating when doing normal tasks. After the update I've got no such issue.

GeordieSi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello there, new user and new to Windows Phone but wanted to share my experience.

i purchased a Lumia 930 and was very happy with the battery life etc. However around 6 weeks after purchasing it i noticed the battery had suddenly started dropping rapidly, the phone was hot to the point where when in my pocket it felt like it was burning my leg and on a few occassions the lock screen seemed to have magnified part of the screen and frozen.

It took me several days to find out what the problem was - i have a flip top case and had 'tap to wake screen' switched on. I was putting the phone in my pocket and the case was touching the screen and waking it then causing the issue. I switched the feature off and havent had the problem since - a week later i did a full reset just to be sure and everythings perfect now.

i realise this isnt the issue with 99.9% of users here but thought it worth sharing 'just in case'

Last edited:

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi All!

On 10.12.2014 I've bought a new, factory unlocked Nokia Lumia 930 phone from a former-employee of the Hungarian Nokia factory in Komarom, the phones were given as gifts to the ~1600 ex-workers when the factory was closed due to Microsoft's decision.
I've bought this phone mainly due to it's future camera capabilities (promised 4k with Denim), with Windows Cyan I was very disappointed with the low light video recording ability, even with Denim it's worse than with my Lumia 920 it has poorer camera! The screen and the recorded video is flickering and becoming purple-ish!

Moreover: Last week the phone updated itself to Windows Phone 8.1 Denim, so I've set the video recording to 2160p-30fps as the software allowed me to do that. I've tested it a couple of times by recording 1-2 minute videos, it worked ok (still disappointed with the low light videos).

On last Saturday (24.01.2015) I was trying to record a ~20 minute video from a tripod stand (good ventillation all around) about our salsa dancing performance, but the phone failed to do it, my Nokia Lumia 930 overheated during 4k recording!
I only noticed it after our performance as some of the audience told me that the phone displayed that it has overheated so it has stopped the recording after ~14 minutes!!!
Before the recording I set the phone to airplane mode and I closed all the background applications to dedicate all the hardware power to video recording!
I've lost minutes of unrepeatable moments! What can I do? It's unacceptable, it's a flagship device, but it disappoints the customers!

Does anybody have the same experience with 4k recording?

Moreover: The upper left-side of the screen came off ~2mm from the plane of the metal, I've read on forums that it is due to poor quality screen fixing glue; it can cause not only visual issue but the proximity sensor to fail, by this e.g. not able to end a phonecall!
The battery drains very fast and the back side of the phone is too hot to hold it while using it!

I've read in a forum that even though my phone is not originated from a mobile shop (so it doesn't have a stamp on the warranty card) I can take it to the nearest Nokia Care point. (120 km from my home town...) Is it true? Do i need to write an e-mail about it to a central e-mail or so? What's the e-mail address?

Microsoft's website on the link below shows to me (from the IMEI number) that my phone has warranty!

Thanks for your help!

Richard Mark NAGY

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi All!

On 10.12.2014 I've bought a new, factory unlocked Nokia Lumia 930 phone from a former-employee of the Hungarian Nokia factory in Komarom, the phones were given as gifts to the ~1600 ex-workers when the factory was closed due to Microsoft's decision.
I've bought this phone mainly due to it's future camera capabilities (promised 4k with Denim), with Windows Cyan I was very disappointed with the low light video recording ability, even with Denim it's worse than with my Lumia 920 it has poorer camera! The screen and the recorded video is flickering and becoming purple-ish!

Moreover: Last week the phone updated itself to Windows Phone 8.1 Denim, so I've set the video recording to 2160p-30fps as the software allowed me to do that. I've tested it a couple of times by recording 1-2 minute videos, it worked ok (still disappointed with the low light videos).

On last Saturday (24.01.2015) I was trying to record a ~20 minute video from a tripod stand (good ventillation all around) about our salsa dancing performance, but the phone failed to do it, my Nokia Lumia 930 overheated during 4k recording!
I only noticed it after our performance as some of the audience told me that the phone displayed that it has overheated so it has stopped the recording after ~14 minutes!!!
Before the recording I set the phone to airplane mode and I closed all the background applications to dedicate all the hardware power to video recording!
I've lost minutes of unrepeatable moments! What can I do? It's unacceptable, it's a flagship device, but it disappoints the customers!

Does anybody have the same experience with 4k recording?

Moreover: The upper left-side of the screen came off ~2mm from the plane of the metal, I've read on forums that it is due to poor quality screen fixing glue; it can cause not only visual issue but the proximity sensor to fail, by this e.g. not able to end a phonecall!
The battery drains very fast and the back side of the phone is too hot to hold it while using it!

I've read in a forum that even though my phone is not originated from a mobile shop (so it doesn't have a stamp on the warranty card) I can take it to the nearest Nokia Care point. (120 km from my home town...) Is it true? Do i need to write an e-mail about it to a central e-mail or so? What's the e-mail address?

Microsoft's website on the link below shows to me (from the IMEI number) that my phone has warranty!

Thanks for your help!

Richard Mark NAGY

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, your phone is under warranty, if it says so through IMEI. Don't travel 120km just yet - read the instructions for warranty repair (you may have to send in by mail). Unfortunately, the 930 and the Icon are flawed devices with numerous hardware problems - poor WiFi reception, overheating, battery drain, screen tint / scrolling lag issues. Some people are lucky, and don't see these problems. Good luck getting a replacement.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Overheating in 4K recording is expected. If you go back to the Denim release announcement they specifically said the record time on 4K video would have a hard limit because phones would get too hot.

Use lower resolutions for long recording.

Guess why the iPhone doesn't officially support 4K. This compromise wasn't acceptable so they left that option out.

Trying to repair a phone because of 4K recording stopping the phone after 14mins is not going to achieve anything.

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, but sorry to tell you that I absolutely disagree with you, it's not expected!
If the camera software allows me to set something I can clearly expect it to be able to do it's job without having any issues!
I haven't read any limitations about it, in this case the software should have warn me when adjusting to 2160p/30fps as:
"WARNING: You'll only be able to record ~10 minute video due to hardware limitiations no matter you have 23 GB of free space for ~53 minutes!"
I'm hoping this is just a joke, it must work as this is an allowed setting in the software without any limitations!
If they won't repair it, I'll never buy a Lumia again and I'll tell my friends to do so as well...!

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The problem with overheating is not isolated to the Nokia 930 but is more connected to the chipset. About all phones based on the same platform will have problems with overheating in 4K recording. The time you can record differs as they have different solutions when it comes to heat dissipation but they will eventually all overheat.

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I don't think it's harsh at all as my Nokia Lumia 920 is also being repaired at the moment! I decided to do so as I had so many issues with it and it still has guarantee! That's why I've bought a Lumia 930 to have a phone while my Lumia 920 is being repaired and hoping to have better camera and less issues, but I'm disappointed!!! It has worse f/ value than my Lumia 920!
My Lumia 920 made mistakes during video recording!!! First there were "minor glitches, jumps" which also mustn't have been but there were some videos over the last year which became lost after recording (they were in the filesystem but no software could play it, nor repair them, I've tried everything for months but only mp4repair.org offered a sollution for 140$ with preview video which I didn't accept due to the price!
And there were some videos which had fully black image, only some of the room light can be seen and the sound can be heard which it has recorded!
w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=saw-XuvxTho&feature=youtu.be

I've posted these issues into Nokia forum's but no replies which could have solved the issues...
d i scussions.nokia.com/t5/Pictures-and-Videos/Video-recording-issues-it-jumps-and-the-audio-stops-for-secs/td-p/2637886
a n swers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/lumia-920-video-recording-issues-corrupted-videos/5ce8a331-f13a-46d0-b5fb-1e221e9f38fc

Both the Lumia 920 and the Lumia 930 were/are flagship devices... I'm sick of Lumias... :(

A very disappointed user/owner of 2 flagship Lumias:
Richard Mark NAGY

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, but sorry to tell you that I absolutely disagree with you, it's not expected!
If the camera software allows me to set something I can clearly expect it to be able to do it's job without having any issues!
I haven't read any limitations about it, in this case the software should have warn me when adjusting to 2160p/30fps as:
"WARNING: You'll only be able to record ~10 minute video due to hardware limitiations no matter you have 23 GB of free space for ~53 minutes!"
I'm hoping this is just a joke, it must work as this is an allowed setting in the software without any limitations!
If they won't repair it, I'll never buy a Lumia again and I'll tell my friends to do so as well...!

4K recording was added as a benefit after the phone was released. So be happy you can record any 4K.

A Ford Focus may rev to 9000 RPM but if you sit with your foot there on the accelerator for a long time there will be non ideal consequences. It doesn't stop you using that for regular driving and I doubt the manual explains any issues that might occur from excessive use.

It's a limitation on the phone like many others. 4K is a LOT of data for a mobile device to handle. 1080p is great for most things.

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you again...
Ford doesn't merchandise its cars as being able to go with 9000 RPM continuously, but Microsoft does!
w w w.windowscentral.com/national-geographic-photographer-lumia-930-can-shoot-better-4k-video-you

There is not even a word on the page above about limitations! It's nothing but a gimmick!
Why allowing something unlimitedly while it's not working or is in beta phase or has its limitations! I've the feeling I'm using a beta hardware with a gamma software... :(
Even though I'll try to get it repaired as there's not just the overheating but my screen is also coming out of the frame; hoping they will replace the whole s***t.

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
"Regardless, it's a gorgeous demonstration of the capabilities of the Lumia 930 running the Lumia Denim update. We'll settle for recording every-day life in 4K instead while we save up for a Victoria Falls excursion of our own."

Source: Microsoft

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I have to disagree with you again, you are comparing 2 very different things.
Ford doesn't merchandise its cars as being able to continuously go with 9000 RPM, but Microsoft does!
It's nothing but a gimmick!
As the 4k is allowed to be set and there's no warning in the manual or elsewhere, that it will malfunction if you record in 4k!.
I've a feeling I'm using a beta hardware with a gamma software!
Nevertheless I'll take it to Nokia Care, hopefully they'll replace this s**t as the screen also comes off its frame and after that I'm gonna sell it!

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Why would most people even want to record in 4K (other than the fact that they can :) ) ?
Do you have a 4K TV or anything that's displays 4K resolution ?

:p

:)
Fred

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb