Lumia 930 overheating!

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Send it back OP. Sounds like you picked up a lemon of a handset. Hopefully the next one was build in a factory where the quality controls are in place and observed.

Already sent it back for a refund & to be honest I wont be in a rush to purchase another 930.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with most others and say that initially the phone will have terrible battery life and get extremely warm - I had this "issue" too when I first bought my 1020 and I was going to return it, had I not waited two weeks I would've. The OS/phone is trying to set everything up, create new files and caches/databases during first-time use WHILST you're trying to use it, so of course it will get hot. Wait 2-3 weeks without resetting or doing anything risky and if it doesn't improve by then you've definitely got a lemon

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi sorry, but what is normal battery life?
Thanks

With a moderate use, including 0.5hr streaming video, 1hrs above browsing websites, 0.5hrs playing music, 10 background tasks running and taking several pictures/videos, I still have 30% battery remain when I reached my home.

That's enough to me for a daily usage.

Last edited:

YeMan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
With a moderate use, including 0.5hr streaming video, 1hrs above browsing websites, 0.5hrs playing music, 10 background tasks running and taking several pictures/videos, I still have 30% battery remain when I reached my home.

That's enough to me for a daily usage.

doesn't it have like a 2420 or something battery? My 900 has lower than that and can last longer...
Does it actually get so hot that I shouldn't get it? I have a upgrade and dont know what to get and thought that the 930 was gonna be perfect for me.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
doesn't it have like a 2420 or something battery? My 900 has lower than that and can last longer...
Does it actually get so hot that I shouldn't get it? I have a upgrade and dont know what to get and thought that the 930 was gonna be perfect for me.

it does equip with a bigger battery, but at the same time it also equips with more powerful hardwares (e.g 1080p display) which may lead to heavier power consumption. I would say the heat is fairly acceptable after my phone began to work normally.

Lumia 930 is the second best WP phone i have owned by far. I just wish the speaker could be louder. Other than that, I am happy with it.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Also, you need to remember it's carrying a quad core processor, not dual, and 2gb RAM.

Frankly, I'm impressed that companies can provide what are in reality very powerful hand held units with surprisingly small power requirements. It really is impressive imo.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, you need to remember it's carrying a quad core processor, not dual, and 2gb RAM.

Frankly, I'm impressed that companies can provide what are in reality very powerful hand held units with surprisingly small power requirements. It really is impressive imo.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

It is indeed quite weird. Hell, when shopping for laptops it seems hard to run into models that would have a 2,2+ ghz CPU. Obviously though it's not the ghz alone that matters and the laptops with less ghz are still likely to be more powerful, but technology sure is crazy these days :D

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So all in all, lumia 930, worth it?

Id say yes. Great device, but there is a learning curve with the camera if you are moving from ios/droid. And maybe id have gone for the black, or white device instead of orange. (I can change the back though potentially if I do get bothered too much!)

YeMan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Id say yes. Great device, but there is a learning curve with the camera if you are moving from ios/droid. And maybe id have gone for the black, or white device instead of orange. (I can change the back though potentially if I do get bothered too much!)

I'm gonna get black, orange and green seem strange,cool, but strange to me. My first phone is this one, the 900 and now im gonna move on to another one and im probably gonna get the 930. I hate it when my phone gets hot though...... I'll have to learn to deal with it XD oh and if you get it in USA, will you get the charging plate free? Is that limited time or only online or something?

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just my 2 cents... My phone is pretty warm, but it's updating about 40 apps and I'm fiddling with it a lot so to be expected. Not uncomfortable, but noticeably warm! (And understandable)

EDIT - 5 mins after downloading everything under the sun it's now cool as a cucumber. Luvverly!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Just my 2 cents... My phone is pretty warm, but it's updating about 40 apps and I'm fiddling with it a lot so to be expected. Not uncomfortable, but noticeably warm! (And understandable)

EDIT - 5 mins after downloading everything under the sun it's now cool as a cucumber. Luvverly!

Its not the comfort, but the damage caused to your device because of the heat. A CPU degrades, when overheated. When there is too much burden on the CPU, it will overheat and its life will reduce.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Its not the comfort, but the damage caused to your device because of the heat. A CPU degrades, when overheated. When there is too much burden on the CPU, it will overheat and its life will reduce.

True, but I don't think it's excessive from the initial set up.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

But at the same time the fact that the device conducts the heat outside is a good sign. All similar'ish devices likely heat quite similarly, but if you cant really feel it on a phone, it might mean the heat stays inside and that's when the damage happens.

The demo units I've managed to heat up havn't been all that hot, but it's more about the location of the heat. 920 getting hot from the top was "smarter" than 930 getting hot from the area that the hand blocks most of the time

moubaildotcom

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I took mine to the store today and they decided to send it to the service. The main issue is the heat - after a week of use the back cover has started to bulge on the seam where the plastic meets the metal and the back cover has what seems to be a very slight bump along the edge. That's in the bottom right section of the phone. Also the pink/purple haze on top part of the screen bugs me so I mentioned that as well. It will probably come back as it is with a comment that the heating is normal but I decided to give it a shot anyways - after all it seems the heat is already affecting the casing and that really shouldn't happen on a device that is used the way it's intended.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets hot by itself for no obvious reasons. Unless its caused by bitlocker and exchange combo.
Heats itself freezes and stops responding or responds slow. Not worth of money can not recommend.

I don't think anyone would sugges a defective unit, like yours seems to be :p

Have you tried hard resetting the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)