Lumia 930 overheating!

moubaildotcom

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
agreed, but how much do you use it?

For the week I've had it I've taken perhaps 100 photographs and a couple of videos. Maybe an hour a day of web browsing and some whatsapp and email on top of that - combine those and you have about two hours of hands on time a day (average). No gaming or extremely long sessions of heavy processor loads. Phone kept mostly on a desk during the day. There's no actual gap in the seam yet - it's just raised a bit - but it's easily noticeable. I'll likely just get it back with a new backplate :D

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
For the week I've had it I've taken perhaps 100 photographs and a couple of videos. Maybe an hour a day of web browsing and some whatsapp and email on top of that - combine those and you have about two hours of hands on time a day (average). No gaming or extremely long sessions of heavy processor loads. Phone kept mostly on a desk during the day. There's no actual gap in the seam yet - it's just raised a bit - but it's easily noticeable. I'll likely just get it back with a new backplate :D

Oh no, don't get me wrong I feel the heat too on mine. And I do roughly the same. I'm tempted to measure the temp.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well on 1020 if I use the phone whilst in charger, the camera bump heats up so high I can't even touch it anymore..
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that the Nokia Camera app might be causing small heat spikes - I say might as my phone has been on and off it's charging plate most of the afternoon/evening so it was warm anyways.

I wonder if maybe the app switches processing to a single core or something, and that one core heats up a lot as opposed to spreading the processing over 4 cooler cores? Purely a guess on my part!!

I should also mention it's warmer than Hell's microwave in our living room right now, so that's not helping!

The phone is cool to the touch when just sat there idling away and during browsing/Facebooking etc etc

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I need to reiterate that it wasn't just a case of my 930 getting hot, the handset got very very hot & was so hot it was very uncomfortable to hold in the hand. I genuinely think that I had a faulty handset & sent it back for a refund.

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
the heat usually is caused by bluetooth and nfc being on.

NFC, Bluetooth, WiFi & Data and my 930 still got very very very hot. As I said earlier in post #67 I believe that my handset had a fault as this was not a case of the phone getting warm it was a case of it getting unbearably hot or as xandros9 in post #68 is was a "Disco Inferno"

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Well after a couple of days solid usage I have to say my phone does not get very hot. Yes initial set up and charge but since and with normal use its been luke warm at best. I have nfc, Bluetooth, WiFi etc all on. Paired to my treasure tag and currently streaming xbox music and browsing net. Luke warm, cooler than my one x under this sort of use.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
DId a 1h25min video recording with the 930 yesterday. The aluminium frame became so hot that I couldn't hold it anylonger ;). Using a flip case is the solution.

marksu

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I lowered the brightness in display setting's "brightness profile", and it seems the phone is less hot now... It could be just my imagination though :D

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 930 since Friday and unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.fr tomorrow.

Initially during the initial set up & installing apps the handset got very very hot. I would expect it to get warm but not very very hot. I thought maybe it's just a sort of initializing / bedding in period and the heat issue would resolve itself however I am now on day 3 and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone even something as simple as web browsing or sending a text the handset will get very very hot making the handset very uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I have had several phones over the past 24 months and all of them have got warm to some extent but non have got very very hot!!! so it's going back for a refund. If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box. I know you can fiddle about using different lenses to improve the quality and zoom but if you are paying ?400 + for a sim free handset I would expect everything to work straight out of the box.

Have you tried disabling NFC and bluetooth. And Nokia camera requires a bit of getting used to. If you just wanna take quick easy photos just use the default camera.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed this, it gets hotter than one would expect. It got very hot when installing the first few apps. Something is wrong here.

thalamus_82

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think this is a WP8.1 issue as opposed to an issue specific to the 930.

Sometimes whilst in use my 920 gets so hot that the metal camera strip isn't far off actually being able to burn your hand, and the phone smells hot too. But it's not consistent, some times it does it, other times it doesn't. It's like something pegs the CPU now and again, but it's impossible to figure out what it is.

It has only been an issue since the 8.1 developer preview, and I think the last Developer Preview update (12397) made it worse still. WP8.0 ran much much cooler on it.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i still think its just the phones initial syncing , i keep nfc bluetooth and wifi on all the time and i still dont see bad battery life or heating issues unless i hard reset and restore which causes the phone to heat for the entire day

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried disabling NFC and bluetooth. And Nokia camera requires a bit of getting used to. If you just wanna take quick easy photos just use the default camera.

Yes I disabled NFC, Data, Wifi & Bluetooth and the back of the hot still got very very hot within a minute or 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786