Lumia 930 overheating!

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5s has a dual core 1,3-1,4GHz cpu, Qualcomm 800 used in Lumia 930 is a quad core 2,2GHz cpu, both are produced in 28nm tech.
There is simply no way that iPhone will get so hot and there is simply no way that Lumia does not, it's almost twice the heat to dissipate (yeah, that's gross oversimplifying :) ).

Now compare it to the other Snapdragon 800/801 - S5 or HTC One or Xperia Z2 - these get hot aswell to the point that Z2 shuts down the camera while recording 4K videos (I don't know if it was resolved or not but was a big case).

Simple google search for snapdragon 800/801 overheating will give you a nice list of current flagships and their issues with fast cpu.

Oh, and:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...rheating-screenshot_2014-05-26-17-09-13-1.jpg

ThomasWeiss

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
For me, the issue is more about the battery drain than the heat... The battery lasts 1/2 day with "normal" usage, which would in any case indicate that something is wrong. And I followed the recommended full battery cycles when I got it (don't even know if it's still relevant to current batteries).

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I get around 24 hours + when I use it "normal", that's WIFI all day, some music, a lot of sms and facebook, sometimes cellular data, 30 minutes of call time.. I'm happy with it!

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5s has a dual core 1,3-1,4GHz cpu, Qualcomm 800 used in Lumia 930 is a quad core 2,2GHz cpu, both are produced in 28nm tech.
There is simply no way that iPhone will get so hot and there is simply no way that Lumia does not, it's almost twice the heat to dissipate (yeah, that's gross oversimplifying :) ).

Now compare it to the other Snapdragon 800/801 - S5 or HTC One or Xperia Z2 - these get hot aswell to the point that Z2 shuts down the camera while recording 4K videos (I don't know if it was resolved or not but was a big case).

Simple google search for snapdragon 800/801 overheating will give you a nice list of current flagships and their issues with fast cpu.

Oh, and:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...rheating-screenshot_2014-05-26-17-09-13-1.jpg

Granted, but my point is you should be able to use the phone for basic tasks without it over heating within 2-3 mins!

And your comment -
There is simply no way that iPhone will get so hot...
- is not true, my iPhone 5S (as I said) became just as hot as the 930, but it too the iPhone much longer to reach this heat. My point is still you should be able to do basic tasks without the device heating up too much.

- Watching YouTube videos
- Browsing the web
- Working on Office docs
- Taking pictures, or filming video
- Playing games

These are all what they are pushing as the devices amazing features, and these are also the activities that cause the device to heat up! The heat will in turn damage the device eventually and end up shortening the life of it.

I would not be surprised if the issues we all keep mentioning are the reason its been pulled from Nokia India.

I get around 24 hours + when I use it "normal", that's WIFI all day, some music, a lot of sms and facebook, sometimes cellular data, 30 minutes of call time.. I'm happy with it!

I was able to get a day out of the 930, which I was more than happy about. Battery didn't bother me.

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
These are all what they are pushing as the devices amazing features, and these are also the activities that cause the device to heat up! The heat will in turn damage the device eventually and end up shortening the life of it.

I think that the companies will eventually start paying attention to that. Hopefully soon.

I was able to get a day out of the 930, which I was more than happy about. Battery didn't bother me.

Yeah, me too - above one day fully charged.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
So I have moved back onto my iphone 5s, and it feels so small! Anyhow I installed iOS 8 beta 4 and spent about 30-40 mins setting it up.

The phone got quite hot, just like the 930. the difference here was I was downloading and installing constantly for that time, and messing with settings etc. To get the 930 up to the same/similar temp all I had to do was play a YouTube video and that took 2-3 mins to heat up.

So YES I agree high end devices do heat up, however not as quick as the lumia 930 does, heating up that quick is not normal, nor will it help with the life of the device. No wonder Nokia are offering a 24 month warranty period.

Slightly off topic, but how stable is the Beta channel? I'm tempted to get it, but I don't want to compromise using my phone too much.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the poly carbonate back cover is slightly lifting in the corner where the heat is based.

Just noticed on mine that it sits higher out of the ally frame and can be pushed down, so it has definitely lifted. Not impressed and may return it for another one.

Mine has done that as well, it's nto perfectly flush like the other 3 corners

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I see my battery usage as acceptable, I've been texting all day and I did a suggestion mentioned in these forums about opening every single app (that's the drop seen in the image).

I went to bed at 6pm (don't ask) and got up at 7am, so lost around 20% in 13 hours with very little use (checking time etc).

wp_ss_20140722_0001.png

simplescheme

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing a little progress with my 930.,
I've done a hard reset and not restored from backup but did setup everything manually.
I've streamed YouTube HD content until battery was empty, recharged completely and steamed again until only 40% left. Then I played a game for 1.5 hours until only 4% battery left. Then again streamed video until phone went off by itself. It's now charging again. Heat in the last cycle was not as hot as it was before. Still hotter than my 920 but nowhere near burning my hand like in the beginning. Btw. Everything was without putting a SIM card in. Everything was Wi-Fi. Will post the outcome. If it gets better another 10% or so and is consistent with son card also I think it's acceptable.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing a little progress with my 930.,
I've done a hard reset and not restored from backup but did setup everything manually.
I've streamed YouTube HD content until battery was empty, recharged completely and steamed again until only 40% left. Then I played a game for 1.5 hours until only 4% battery left. Then again streamed video until phone went off by itself. It's now charging again. Heat in the last cycle was not as hot as it was before. Still hotter than my 920 but nowhere near burning my hand like in the beginning. Btw. Everything was without putting a SIM card in. Everything was Wi-Fi. Will post the outcome. If it gets better another 10% or so and is consistent with son card also I think it's acceptable.

Looks like I am cancelling my order and will give L930 another chance.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Day 2: After draining my battery and charging it up again, I've noticed two things. My battery life has gotten better and the heat is now acceptable.
However, I will not get 24hrs of battery life on this thing like some of you have said, even when doing nothing other than answering calls and replying to texts, the battery saver reports 17hrs as time remaining as soon as I take it off the charger. My 8X and 620 lasted much longer.

I would like to hear peoples reports on their battery life.

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
the battery saver reports 17hrs as time remaining as soon as I take it off the charger.

I would dismiss it and use for a day or two. My battery saver was showing crap in its first days (14 hours with 100%?), now it says 20 hours left with 64% of battery remaining.

My setup is:

- 3G (LTE reception is kind of crappy lately here and when it's crappy it drains battery very quickly, I mean VERY quickly)
- most of the apps have their background tasks disabled, the ones I use in background are WPCentral, Bing Weather, Insider Pro, Bing Health, Whatsapp and News (or whatever it's called in english)
- battery saver is always disabled (also its background task), I've found that it eats more battery than it tries to conserve with my setup
- mails (two accounts) are set to 1hr and 2hrs
- BT, NFC disabled most of the time
- no background image (yep, it surprisingly also drains the battery)
- wifi sensor, autoconnecting to unknown networks/hotspots/carrier hotspots and all the other silly wifi stuff - disabled except my very own network
- synchro with other devices (passwords, IE, app settings etc.) - disabled
- double tap to wake - disabled

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I would dismiss it and use for a day or two. My battery saver was showing crap in its first days (14 hours with 100%?), now it says 20 hours left with 64% of battery remaining.

My setup is:

- 3G (LTE reception is kind of crappy lately here and when it's crappy it drains battery very quickly, I mean VERY quickly)
- most of the apps have their background tasks disabled, the ones I use in background are WPCentral, Bing Weather, Insider Pro, Bing Health, Whatsapp and News (or whatever it's called in english)
- battery saver is always disabled (also its background task), I've found that it eats more battery than it tries to conserve with my setup
- wifi sensor, autoconnecting to unknown networks/hotspots/carrier hotspots and all the other silly wifi stuff - disabled except my very own network

Dam i love double tap to wake, I will see if I cab live without it. I'm going to do a hard reset tonight, my phone lags on drift mania 2 still on the same parts as it did on my 920.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Dam i love double tap to wake, I will see if I cab live without it. I'm going to do a hard reset tonight, my phone lags on drift mania 2 still on the same parts as it did on my 920.

With regards to Drift Mania 2, if it lags on the same parts it did on your 920 it suggests to me its an issue with the game, not your device.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
My setup is:

3G(crap connection at home)
I haven't disabled battery saver but will do that now.
Mail accounts 1hr (both)
BT on as it syncs with my car and I don't want to forget to turn it one and have a call come in.
NFC is off
Background image on
WiFi Sense disabled now (I can see how that might kill the battery)
Synchronization is on
Double tap to wake is off
I also turned off the motion data (but I really want to turn it back on)

Right now it's 7hrs since my last charge, 3hrs left (32%). I downloaded and played simple games (not 3D), and did some browning (1hr total combined).

Will see how day 3 turns out tomorrow.

JAKK1

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought the L930 on the day it was released so I have some experience at this point. I am a pretty active user but at least for me the phone gets noticeably warm only when I am charging it and playing a grapic intensive game at the same time for 3 hours in a row. Any other time, I have not felt anything unpleasent. As said before, phones with a lot of aluminium parts transfer the heat out more efficiently than ones that have less. It is the same thing with computers, my friend MacBook Pro get's hotter in your lap than a cheap, lesser quality laptop if you are playing a game demanding on the CPU. If you like plastic parts, you should choose another Lumia with less aluminium. If you value high build quality to be #1, get the L930.

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the L930 on the day it was released so I have some experience at this point. I am a pretty active user but at least for me the phone gets noticeably warm only when I am charging it and playing a grapic intensive game at the same time for 3 hours in a row. Any other time, I have not felt anything unpleasent. As said before, phones with a lot of aluminium parts transfer the heat out more efficiently than ones that have less. It is the same thing with computers, my friend MacBook Pro get's hotter in your lap than a cheap, lesser quality laptop if you are playing a game demanding on the CPU. If you like plastic parts, you should choose another Lumia with less aluminium. If you value high build quality to be #1, get the L930.

This isn't necessarily true. The grade of polycarbonate in most Lumias makes for a better build quality than plenty of aluminum devices. I'll take the build quality of the Lumia 920, for example, over any iPhone or Samsung any day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb