Lumia 930 overheating!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's how the Lumia 930 fared in the ice cube melting test

icecubme melting test .. lol.. inefficient software combined with overpowered hardware has been the trend since the OEMs discovered that Android needs all the horsepower it can get to run properly, and at the same time that hardware can be used as a main differentiator and a selling point from a marketing stand point. Good work.

Props to apple for their work on iOS, but in this test I think the fact that their phones uses a 4 inch screen helped the most to be honest...

plantagoo

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Oh good. Then I'm not alone. I bought the phone last night and returned it immediately this morning. I really tried to like it but the heat/warmth was too much IMHO. I installed apps -> hot. Connected the phone to the charger -> hot. Played a little bit Subway Surfers -> hot. Since the aluminium transports the heat quite good there seems to be a design flaw somewhere. I never had such problems with my iPhones with metallic rim (4 to 5s).

Hmm...

Greetings
Erik

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Oh good. Then I'm not alone. I bought the phone last night and returned it immediately this morning. I really tried to like it but the heat/warmth was too much IMHO. I installed apps -> hot. Connected the phone to the charger -> hot. Played a little bit Subway Surfers -> hot. Since the aluminium transports the heat quite good there seems to be a design flaw somewhere. I never had such problems with my iPhones with metallic rim (4 to 5s).

Hmm...

Greetings
Erik
Well the aluminium conducting the heat better would be precisely the reason as to why it feels hotter on average, than an all-plastic phone. While the aluminium outside of the phone tends to feel very hot, this might actually mean that the internals are a bit cooler than other phones, since the heat can escape faster.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Hmm...

Greetings
Erik

It does get VERY warm when you first insert the SIM and charge it up as it also started updating a load of pre-installed apps. After that it can get warm but nowhere near as much as on that first day.

Miles Wight

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am rather new to the Win Phone experience and just received my Icon today on the Verizon network. This is the best phone I have ever owned (Not saying much I have only owned 2 smartphones prior to this purchase the first was an Android on Metro and the second a Lumia 521 also on Metro, so thats not saying much...) I have noticed also that this phone puts off some heat but can someone quantify what "Excessive" heat is. I mean its warm or even slightly hotter than warm but what is considered 'HOT".

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
This phone is Nokia's worst damn phone built. The heat and battery life are ridiculous.
In comparison I woke up 2 hours ago, took two phones off the charger. 620 and iPhone 5.
I used Family Room on the 930, Whatsapp on the 620, and Kik on the iPhone 5.
The 930 was on the charger up until 30 minutes ago.
930 - 96% (30min off charger 30min constant family room)
620 - 92% (2hr off charger 1hr constant whatsapp)
IP5 - 91% (2hr off charger 1hr constant kik)

In the next hour of not using any phone. The 930 will lose 2% and the others will hold steady. Worst damn phone ever and the 620 & 930 are running the same set of programs. Almost identical start screens and live tiles.

sup3r1or

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay after factory resetting my phone encountered the same issue. I spoke to my friend who is Software Architect at Nokia and he said support team mentioned to try one thing. Remove unpin Cortana tile from start, it helped me, give it a try and dont forget to restart the phone.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had this issue happen a few times now and when it happens I look into "battery saver" to see which app seems to be using the battery quickly and have found a couple of occasions it was the Nokia Camera app. Let me explain what I have found so far. I had taken a few photos but instead of closing the camera app I just let the phone go into sleep mode (Nokia Camera app is now in background), I then put my phone in my trouser pocket and maybe walk around for a bit. I have also been dancing after I have taken a few photos as well. Obviously from the dancing or just waking the phone is being shaken a bit. The phone then gets very hot so I check to see what app is running down the battery, I find that it is the Nokia camera app, so I just power down my phone, bring it straight back up and the phone then gets cool again.

It is the Nokia Camera app, the operating system WP 8.1 or the firmware I really don't know but this has been my experience so far. I have also factory reset my phone as well which didn't stop the issue.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

telmob

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep. Solitaire collection seems to be an issue. An apparently light game, but it get stuck sometimes and it heats the 930 very much.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I had this the first few days as the phone settled in. I then disabled WiFi-Optimization and disabled all other things like Bluetooth, NFC, etc. Then I did the Developer Preview Update and now the phone seems to run great. Does not heat up and I can get about 2,5 days with very moderate use.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue happen a few times now and when it happens I look into "battery saver" to see which app seems to be using the battery quickly and have found a couple of occasions it was the Nokia Camera app. Let me explain what I have found so far. I had taken a few photos but instead of closing the camera app I just let the phone go into sleep mode (Nokia Camera app is now in background), I then put my phone in my trouser pocket and maybe walk around for a bit. I have also been dancing after I have taken a few photos as well. Obviously from the dancing or just waking the phone is being shaken a bit. The phone then gets very hot so I check to see what app is running down the battery, I find that it is the Nokia camera app, so I just power down my phone, bring it straight back up and the phone then gets cool again.

It is the Nokia Camera app, the operating system WP 8.1 or the firmware I really don't know but this has been my experience so far. I have also factory reset my phone as well which didn't stop the issue.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

I had this issue with Nokia Camera on my old 925 too. Was recently on holiday taking a lot of snaps so left the app open under the lock screen to save on loading it up when I next needed it.
Got very warm and had a ridiculously fast battery drain, so closed it down from then on unless I knew I was going to be using it again shortly.

doobAndy

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I got an update to 8.10.14176.243 I'm not sure if it is an official update or preview for developers update but since today my battery has been excellent I unplugged my phone this morning at 8 AM and now I'm at 65% this is awesome but what is even more awesome the heating issue is far better my phone still get a little warm but not as much as before the update. I wonder if there are other people who got the update and their phones aren't overheating anymore.

telmob

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Last night i was playing Dungeon Hunters for a few hours and the phone got so hot for so long that the back cover actually opened a bit. I guess the battery expanded or something. I managed to close it a bit, but there's still a lump i can't seem to close.
I love this phone and i can live with the purple/green issue and even the heat, but this is too much!
I had another one that i sent back to Nokia/Microsoft due to the purple issue, they sent me a new one and this one is actually much better than the previous one, but now this.....

Damn you MS!

Last edited:

anon9059916

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have massive problems with Age of Empires and overheating.
When ever I open Age of Empires, the phone extremely fast heats up (5seconds) and stays like that until i close the game, there is also a massive battery drain during playing AoE. It is not only with this game, but i usually don't play games that have high graphics. Does anyone have this Problem, too?
It also heats up while browsing.

chrisouth

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Nokia Lumia 930 from Singtel Singapore on a contract. The phone would heat up during normal use (making phone calls, checking email, browsing internet, etc..) after two weeks the screen starting showing signs of heat damage. See attached image.

I would have expected a nokia phone to have lasted longer than two weeks!?

On the recommendation from the Singtel retail store I handed my phone into Nokia Singapore (Harbourfront) to be repaired under warranty. Although I would have really expected a replacement handset given that the phone was only 3 weeks old at this point. Apple seem to provide this service all through their warranty period.

After three weeks and I was still waiting for my phone to be repaired. I tried calling the service center over 20 times, yes over 20 times and with no reply. I also tried calling Nokia support and it is so automated that there is no option to talk to a person regarding my service request or just in general (it has now been changed). I also tried re-visiting the service center where I dropped off the phone and it had closed down! With a note to call Nokia AKA the same I tried before which is (was) useless to a human being.

When I did finally got hold of a Nokia rep over virtual chat, they were helpful in answering my questions and providing an update but with no real result. I was told that the service center are waiting on an important part to arrive but without a date when it might arrive.

Well it's now been over five weeks that Nokia Singapore has had my phone. Apparently the parts are still on their way and the delay is due to bulk shipping them... really? from where the moon???!

The Nokia rep was pretty much useless (again). In that he couldn't provide a timeframe or even escalate my call other than add a priority to the repair once the part(s) arrive, whenever that might be.

According to Nokia's own Limited Warranty, "During the warranty period, Manufacturer will, in a reasonable time, remedy the Defect free of charge by either repairing or replacing the defective Product or the defective part of it at its option provided that you have informed Manufacturer of the Defect before the warranty period expires." Anyone with an iodate of common sense would determine that 5 weeks for a phone repair is beyond a "reasonable time".

Surely it must be cheaper to just provide a replacement phone than ship parts over to Singapore??

I purchased this phone from Singtel and its just money wasted as far I'm concerned as what is the point on owning a phone without being able to use it?

Nokia Service in Singapore is absolutely atrocious and non-functioning, compounded with an unannounced service center closure I don't see a future for Nokia here.

Also given my recent experience this will be the last Nokia phone I'll be getting, back to HTC or even Samsung for me.

The whole experience has been utterly frustrating.

Shame on you Nokia.
nokialumia930.jpg

Rogerwho

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Share with you my 2 cents about this overheating.
first, the 930 phones on the market are not same quality (parts and build quality), just look the ebay prices difference. basic economy rules, you get what you paid. every year, there are so many damaged phones, where did these parts end up to? in my knowledge, Asia has the most 'refurbished' phones. in AU, M/S offers 2 years warranty. make sense?
second, the metal frame around the phone is designed with its purpose. if you cover them, you are part of the problem. so if you do need a case, go for a top flip case (let the two long edges exposed at least). A soft gel case is the worst when talking heat exposing.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss