Lumia 930 overheating!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree with you again, you are comparing 2 very different things.
Ford doesn't merchandise its cars as being able to continuously go with 9000 RPM, but Microsoft does!
It's nothing but a gimmick!
As the 4k is allowed to be set and there's no warning in the manual or elsewhere, that it will malfunction if you record in 4k!.
I've a feeling I'm using a beta hardware with a gamma software!
Nevertheless I'll take it to Nokia Care, hopefully they'll replace this s**t as the screen also comes off its frame and after that I'm gonna sell it!

Sorry you feel that way. Feel free to get an Android phone and experience the overheating there after much less time.

Sony Xperia Z2: 2 minutes to overheat:

Hot new Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone?s trouble with overheating - The Globe and Mail

Samsung S5 limits recording to 5 minutes

Shooting 4K with the Galaxy S5 | Android | Geek.com

Etc. etc.

The grass is greener on the other side until you get there. And then you find it's worse.

If you're not happy with 10 minutes 4K video recording, I suggest you purchase a dedicated 4K video recorder because NO smartphone will make you happy.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It's nothing but a gimmick!
!

Of course it's a gimmick.

But I do not have a problem with that

I knew that already long before the Denim release.
Even if it would not overheat you can not record more than 1 hour because than your have no storage space left anymore.

Commercials are commercials and that does not freeward you from thinking.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
i wanna buy 930,please tell me your experience after denim update,overheating problem is still the same?or denim update fixed that?pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Well it did fix it on my device. Probably fixed on most of phones. But there are always the ones that have faults and are still overheating.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
What do you exactly think when you say overheating? My L930 on Denim is still little hot when I'm on web for instance.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Is this overheating problem because of the processor? I have an 830 and it has less overheating problem than my 930.

Yes absolutely. The processor is more beefy on the 930 and also consumes more power. With the Qualcomm platform as the one in 930 you have to seriously consider the thermal design.

Some of you haven't escaped the news about Snapdragon 810 which contains Cortex A57 cores. In my opinion, these cores gets so hot they aren't suitable for phones in its current iteration.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Some of you say the phone gets extremely hot, like impossible to hold... My L930 never heated that much, and now after Denim, it runs even cooler. Browsing the web, music, calling or skype just gets it worm, which is fine by me. Only playing games for 20+ minutes gets it really hot. Doesn't bother me much. It can get a lot worse with other phone brands. My friend's iphone 4 actually shut down due to overheating on the sun, and wasn't able to turn back on for 2 hours. Some kind of a failsafe system. Me and my GF's HTC One M7 were on the sun for the same time and had 0 problems.
Point is.... We don't need to complain so much cuz just like the "realwarder" said a few posts back, others have problems too, and it's even worse actually.

Just my 2 cents...

kevin1988

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about making the switch from Android to Windows Phone and I think that the Lumia 930 could be the perfect phone for me. I am afraid though that if I buy the phone I will get a phone that will have overheating issues (it sounds like there are more 930's with, than without the issue). I contacted Microsoft and they said that there isn't an overheating issue with the Lumia 930 and that it will only heat up when you use the phone very intensively. On this forum and other internetsites, people say it even overheats with light use (does Microsoft even know about the issue?). I read very mixed experiences regarding the overheating issue. What I would like to know if the issue is solved for most people after the latest update (I read that 2 people on this topic say it solved it for their phones). How is Microsoft customers service when you have the overheating issue (will they fix it or give you a replacement?)? Thanks a lot!

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about making the switch from Android to Windows Phone and I think that the Lumia 930 could be the perfect phone for me. I am afraid though that if I buy the phone I will get a phone that will have overheating issues

That would be the best decision you ever made :) The heating problem isn't even a problem, some people just complain too much. It gets worm, so what. Everything still works... I don't know about other bugs but my was perfect even from before Denim. No screen hue, weird colors, flickering, rotation bug, nothing... Works like a charm, even when u abuse it really hard and i have a feeling the crap that builds in the phone cache and registers doesn't slow it down like it happens with android phones. All of them...

Plus the price of L930 is really good, compared to "superior" s5, ip6, nexus, etc...

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
​People that complains about the 930 overheating they never had an 925. My 930 it's cold when compare with my 925 after some time playing some games or doing other stuff.

About the 4k overheating...is a phone...it have hardware limits, seriously I don't get all the fuzz about the 4K, is cool that you can get photos from the 4K video but do people really need 4K video? does everybody that complains about it have a tv or any device to really enjoy the 4K?

So before you complain so much...It's a phone not some high tech camera.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite sure that the majority of Lumia 930 owners doesn't have any issues. Those few who do are the most vocal. They spam that just about everywhere. I actually tried to make my 930 hot but it didn't get even close to bee too hot to use normally.

Lumia 930 has aluminium frame which acts as a heatsink. It's supposed to get bit warm, it dissipates heat from inside the phone. Of course it feels a bit warm sometimes but it's not a problem. Same thing happens with all plastic phones, they get warm too but the warmth can not dissipate through plastic bodies so it doesn't feel that warm to touch. So that aluminium frame actually decreases temperatures inside the phone thus making it able to run more efficiently under a heavy load. If you wrap your Lumia 930 in silicone or some other insulative material it will heat a lot more inside but it feels a lot less warm outside.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have had quite a few phones, (Smartphone History:
BB Pearl>BB 8800>BB 8300>Omnia>iPhone>BB Bold 9000>iPhone 3G>BB Storm>HTC Magic>Xperia X1>BB Storm2 9520>BB 9700>HTC Desire>iPhone 4 16GB>Dell Streak>BB 9800> Galaxy S2 >BB 9900> Milestone 2> Galaxy Note> Galaxy Note II > Xperia Z2 > Nokia Lumia 930 > White LG G3 (3/32))

And I can assure you, my device got hot after very little use. I can't tell you mine wasn't defective.... But all I can say is that the phone I got ended up heating up... After 2-3 minutes of use!

Is it part of the design? Maybe. I don't know... But it was uncomfortable for me to use and have it get warm after literally sending 3-5 messages over whatsapp. 😯😕

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried playing few games. I played Sonic Dash for full 10 minutes to get my L930 to even feel warm to touch. So there has to be something wrong with overheating ones, maybe software, maybe hardware.

Nokia930usr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
When i first bought the 930 it got very hot the first time i turned it on . After the phone updated and a lot of the apps updated i had no more overheating issues .

kevin1988

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the replies! Good to know that most people don't have the overheating issue. Getting hot the first time you use it is something I can understand. The phone has to work hard with updating, changing settings and so on. It sounds like when the phone does have an overheating issue, it is a problem with that particular phone itself, which can be fixed or replaced. I think I will buy one for myself. Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss