Seriously... What is wrong with my phone

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you look at some of my previous threads and posts you will probably notice a trend of displeasure with my phone.

My phone will occasionally not send text messages. I write the message and press send; as far as I am aware the message is sent, as I do not receive the usual "cannot send" message and try again option...

I am in the UK with EE using a HTC 8X with wp8.1

My brother in law has a Lumia 925 with wp8 on Vodaphone, and he also has this problem...

The people who have confirmed they have not received texts we are positive we sent (and prove to them by showing our phone to them) are using iPhones...

So what the hell is the problem? Is it the network providers? A problem with windows phone? A problem with iPhones? A problem with the HTC/Nokia?

If anyone has any thoughts or a similar experience it would be great to hear from you. I am also wondering if there is a case for compensation as this is getting stupid...

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like carrier issue. Did you used to have an iPhone. Apple has admitted there are issues with imessage. If you used to use imessage you need to remove your number from the apple servers. My girlfriend missed so many texts from people after switching from an iPhone to an HTC One. After removing her number from apple server she could receive texts again. Not sure if this applies to the reverse situation you have.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I heard of this issue before, but no, I have never had an iPhone.

I think talking to EE would be the best thing to do, but I'm dreading it as we all know how good network customer service teams are...

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Try this out: Have one of your iPhone using friends delete you from their contact list, and also delete all message threads that include you(also group messages). Then try texting them. If it works, then have them add you back into their contact list. Ensure the full number is included, such as an area code or whatever you might call it if it isn't called that there.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I could try this and see what happens ^

There are 4 different people who have missed text messages from me so I think it's fair to say its a problem on my end..?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I could try this and see what happens ^

There are 4 different people who have missed text messages from me so I think it's fair to say its a problem on my end..?
Please do. It must likely is on your side but iPhones have an issue with their messaging database that prevents message reception as well. It doesn't always happen but I've seen it enough to know it's an iPhone issue.

Yours is too many people to be an issue due to a corrupt messaging db under your number, but its still something to try.

I've seen stranger things.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This should fix it:

settings> messages> iMessage ON, Send As SMS ON, Receive At should be populated by your mobile number

^ the above needs to be done on each iPhone. Most people have this off (default) on their iOS device.

It's not your phone. It's an apple issue for certain iphones communicating with non iPhones and certain carriers

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
It may also be worth noting that a co worker had a windows phone then returned it for similar reasons.
If the way to fix this is personally inform iPhone owners to alter their settings, that is a little impractical, considering very roughly 3/4 of people where I live use iPhones.
I'm surprised this isn't a more widely known issue between iPhones and windows phones..

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
It may also be worth noting that a co worker had a windows phone then returned it for similar reasons.
If the way to fix this is personally inform iPhone owners to alter their settings, that is a little impractical, considering very roughly 3/4 of people where I live use iPhones.
I'm surprised this isn't a more widely known issue between iPhones and windows phones..

It's not just windows phone!! 😞 It's also between androids and iPhones. You can't blame a platform when it affects other systems as well! Yes impractical but Apple is facing a lawsuit for this exact issue. Even apple care recommends changing this setting if issues arise!!

I have had many different phones and I have found that iMessage servers do not always communicate with SMS servers when dealing with other platforms. It sometimes works but it depends on the carrier. Here in Canada I can message my ex on her iPhone from any of my Lumias but I have had issues with a particular android phone.

Last edited:

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As of yet I have not been in personal contact with any of my iPhones using friends who have this issue, so cannot try the recommended settings fixes.

Although I have discovered another contact who has confirmed they didn't not receive a message I sent, that's five now...

It may be hard to replicate the issue as I would say its about 1 in every 20 messages that fails to get through.

I will give EE a call tomorrow and see if / how they can help me.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Until I read this thread, I couldn't understand why people needed 3rd party messaging apps. Now I get it. The OSs aren't playing well together.

It sounds like iPhone interaction with others is more frequently an issue than Android... of course, as usual, Apple doesn't use the industry standard SMS. They've always lived in their own little world.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As of yet I have not been in personal contact with any of my iPhones using friends who have this issue, so cannot try the recommended settings fixes.

Although I have discovered another contact who has confirmed they didn't not receive a message I sent, that's five now...

It may be hard to replicate the issue as I would say its about 1 in every 20 messages that fails to get through.

I will give EE a call tomorrow and see if / how they can help me.

Is that 5th contact also an iPhone user?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Try my suggestion if you can. Will fix it. The SMS setting should be a default on iPhones.

Just curious. Can you message someone you know without an iPhone? If not then it is probably your sim or an incorrect SMS server number in your setting and not an iPhone issue.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Try my suggestion if you can. Will fix it. The SMS setting should be a default on iPhones.

Just curious. Can you message someone you know without an iPhone? If not then it is probably your sim or an incorrect SMS server number in your setting and not an iPhone issue.
So I called EE and they suggested to do what you said, turn on receive SMS on the iPhones.

I don't understand how most of my messages get through and its only the odd one that doesn't get received... I asked EE this and, like a robot, repeated what they had just said as they obviously did not know.

I don't know many people without iPhones but my dad has a windows phone and my messages get to him fine; it seems to be an iPhone issue.

Like I say, when the majority of the UK uses iPhones, its going to be hard to go on a crusade personally changing their settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos