1020 comes as 'Unlocked' on Microsoft Store US

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm also wondering which version they are selling.

Interestingly, I was at the Microsoft store on Sunday as my girlfriend was replacing her phone. They kept trying to sell her on an unlocked 1020. The weird part is that she is on Verizon! I knew she wasn't going to buy it, but I kept asking them "are you sure that'll work?" to which the manager of the store replied "It's unlocked, it'll work with any carrier."

Well, I guess he didn't lie as it should work on LTE and maybe 3G, but there's no CDMA radio. Unless someone can correct me here, I'm really unhappy about this misinformation and pushing of a $550 incompatible phone!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm also wondering which version they are selling.

Interestingly, I was at the Microsoft store on Sunday as my girlfriend was replacing her phone. They kept trying to sell her on an unlocked 1020. The weird part is that she is on Verizon! I knew she wasn't going to buy it, but I kept asking them "are you sure that'll work?" to which the manager of the store replied "It's unlocked, it'll work with any carrier."

Well, I guess he didn't lie as it should work on LTE and maybe 3G, but there's no CDMA radio. Unless someone can correct me here, I'm really unhappy about this misinformation and pushing of a $550 incompatible phone!

it wouldn't work at all on VZW. That would be a pretty quick return.

Buy phone.
Open at counter.
Swap SIM into it.
Watch the the complete failure.
Club salesman with an HP laptop.
Get refund.

rmkilc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone figured out what model it is? Going by the bands, it has to be the RM-877, unless they added a 4th SKU not listed anywhere. I speculate it must be the RM-877 because it is the only one with LTE bands 2 (1900), 4 (1700/2100 aka AWS), and 17 (700) which makes it AT&T capable and LTE band 4 (1700/2100 aka AWS) which makes it T-Mobile capable. However, on the 3G side, it does not have band 4 (1700/2100 aka AWS) which means 3G will not work in T-Mobile areas not yet updated to band 2 (1900).

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
recently picked up my 1020 looking on the box i don't see a number (rm-877 and so on) that you guys talk about. How can i find out what model i have?
thanks for any help!

rmkilc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
recently picked up my 1020 looking on the box i don't see a number (rm-877 and so on) that you guys talk about. How can i find out what model i have?
thanks for any help!
I don't have my 1020 on me at the moment but I believe I have seen it in the settings somewhere. The "about" page comes to mind but I don't think that's the page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The device is completely unbranded.

Tethering does not work on T-Mobile. I tried it in the Microsoft Store. The usual well-known issue of "do you want to add tethering to your plan" etc. Also as per usual on unbranded devices, APN settings are hidden, forcing use of Access Point, which screws up T-MO tethering.

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have my 1020 on me at the moment but I believe I have seen it in the settings somewhere. The "about" page comes to mind but I don't think that's the page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I found it in about and clicked on more! so mines a rm-875

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So Microsoft couldn't grab the version with proper US support yet are selling it as such. Typical.
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diane Cunhm