Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't put much stock in what VZW customer service reps say. Like I said previously, they are not told when updates are expected. There are a number of reasons for this. Mostly, because testing can sometimes take longer than expected due to unforeseen consequences a software/firmware upgrade can have. Remember when "Longhorn" was promised to be released on a certain date, and when that date came and went, people became really angry at Microsoft. So what did Ballmer do? He had Microsoft release a substandard "good enough" version that we came to know as Vista.

Also, I'm also pretty sure there is FCC regulatory guidance that Verizon and the other US carriers have to comply with to ensure the OS update doesn't adversely affect the over all cell network. Keep in mind, government agencies (to include emergency services) rely on the wireless voice and data networks just as much as us private citizens do for day-to-day operations. And I'm not talking about the NSA flap.

Finally, Microsoft is really good at finding and fixing bugs, but even they are not perfect. Having an outside agency testing it can find issues that Microsoft may have missed. I'd rather have Verizon be thorough in its testing, than have an OS update that makes things worse or potentially open the network up to people who want to do bad things.

Be patient, it will come to you, you do not have to go to it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and it sounds like it's probably going to take a while. A long while. I asked her about the most recent Windows Phone update and stated other carriers were already pushing it out. She said they definitely had the update but couldn't see a rollout schedule for passing it to their customers but assured me I would probably get it soon. She then clarified that she was referring to the update for the Nokia Icon from May 7, as seen here: Advanced Devices - Software Updates | Verizon Wireless
Clearly she did not see the new Windows 8.1 Update or the Cyan update to that. Makes me think Verizon customers are in for a LONG wait. At this efficient rate of theirs, we'll get Cyan come winter. :cry:

That is irrelevant - that's a page of previous updates, not planned ones. The update could come tomorrow, and it wouldn't be there today.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
We fall for this everytime. Verizion is completely capable of doing "pre-testing and FCC certification" PRIOR to the final releases be pushed. What this means: Apple iPhones must ALSO be tested and certififed by the FCC, but Verizion works directly with Apple to have the iOS updates and iPhone firmware updates "pre-tested" and FCC certified PRIOR to Apple actually releasing the updates which allows all iPhones to get updated IMMEDIATELY upon release of the update = NO WAITING ON VERIZON TO TEST! Microsoft, with the aid of an un-named source, has reached out to Verizion requesting the same "pre-testing and FCC Certification" program be granted to them for the Windows Phone Lumia devices, however Verizion WON'T EVEN CONTACT MICROSOFT! There is currently a movement to get Verizon Windows Phone users to file an FCC complain to this affect. If you are tired of being discriminated against by Verizon because you don't own a Crapple iPhlunk, then go to File Complaint | FCC.gov and file a complaint. The more complaints the FCC gets, the faster we can get the update pushed by Verizion and perhaps get Verizion to change it's policy on updates for Windows Phones too.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
We need somebody who is on 8.0 to alert us ICON users with DP 8.1 when Cyan gets released. I'm sure it'll hit front page but sometimes it's comes from a tip from one of us.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has still put the cyan update on hold unless you revert back to 8.0... only because of this damn BitLocker application... They should let us decide if we want to update not hold up everyone for some lame program... Get with it MS... we (those up installed the DP), did a lot of early testing and bug reports for them and now we have to flash our phones back just to upgrade to Cyan... Another bad call by Satia probably... I don't think he is taking MS in a good direction...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has still put the cyan update on hold unless you revert back to 8.0... only because of this damn BitLocker application... They should let us decide if we want to update not hold up everyone for some lame program... Get with it MS... we (those up installed the DP), did a lot of early testing and bug reports for them and now we have to flash our phones back just to upgrade to Cyan... Another bad call by Satia probably... I don't think he is taking MS in a good direction...

That is for WP8.1 DP updates. The carriers are responsible for sending WP8.1 w/Cyan via OTA not Microsoft and only applies to Lumia handsets.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Reverted mine back last night, lol 1day 12hrs. on my battery compared to 13ish hours. Ohh well, do it the right way I guess, kinda like a tune up on your car.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
TOTAL BS! Verizon can fully test the update in a timely manner without taking months to do so. They can even work directly with Microsoft to pretest the update prior to Microsoft releasing it like the do with the iPhone. There is NO excuse for Verizon taking more than a month to test and release this update. If they do we should all file a class action lawsuit to force Verizon to provide us the same pretest ability that iPhone users receive.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
TOTAL BS! Verizon can fully test the update in a timely manner without taking months to do so. They can even work directly with Microsoft to pretest the update prior to Microsoft releasing it like the do with the iPhone. There is NO excuse for Verizon taking more than a month to test and release this update. If they do we should all file a class action lawsuit to force Verizon to provide us the same pretest ability that iPhone users receive.

Yeah, I think The execs at Verizon are all Apple Fan Boys and Girls... such lemmings...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
We need somebody who is on 8.0 to alert us ICON users with DP 8.1 when Cyan gets released. I'm sure it'll hit front page but sometimes it's comes from a tip from one of us.

I'm holding out hope that the delay now is because they are waiting or a DP update fix... probably not the case, but hoping... don't really want to have to wipe my phone again. I will though if that's the only way. I just can't imagine that MS will leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss