Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not like AT&T had been much faster, didn't they just push cyan out today for most of their phones?

Today was just the 2 phones, the 920 and the 820, I've had the official Cyan update on my 925 for a few weeks now, and I didn't update as soon as it came out.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This is the only reason I would consider switching to Apple. They control their own updates, not the carriers. Waiting for updates is the norm with Windows Phones and Android non Nexus phones...The lack of communication by Verizon on this issue is pretty standard unfortunately.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Verizon really thinks because they have a slight edge over AT&T in total subscribers, that puts them as the No. 1 provider in the US, that they have this attitude and it shows. I hate having to go into a Verizon store for anything, because we use Verizon at work whenever I want to swap phones or need something, I can hardly get any assistance from anyone once they know two things 1) I'm not there to buy a phone or add a line, and 2) I'm a business account customer. Verizon customer service is really terrible, actually they suck.

to complete your VZW retail store experience I'll suggest telling them:
3)you have a Windows Phone, not an iPhone or a Droid, and then you will experience the full force of the "A+ customer service" at your local VZW store :wink:

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
to complete your vzw retail store experience i'll suggest telling them:
3)you have a windows phone, not an iphone or a droid, and then you will experience the full force of the "a+ customer service" at your local vzw store :wink:

lol!!!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Stop acting like a spoiled child. There are plenty of worse things in the world than not being first in line for a firmware update for your phone.

Agreed but, I would bet almost everyone in this chat with at least 8 posts in this thread....Is extremely stressed about and really pissed off about it..

Also gota remember, this is a Verizon thing...If you have owned other Verizon phones besides the iPhoney, you have been last getting updates... I've been through this many it with Verizon...it's getting really old...

After about 3 weeks of waiting, I give up, I just don't care any more....but, for some DAM reason I keep watching and replying to this thread...habit I guess ?

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple got it right in one aspect... They control the hardware AND the software updates. I think MSFT/Nokia should at least adopt this model for Lumia phones.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple got it right in one aspect... They control the hardware AND the software updates. I think MSFT/Nokia should at least adopt this model for Lumia phones.

Yea, 1 or 2 phones (current models) for Apple, not 25 or so from different brands too.... and Apple still has that power in the marketplace, so it's mandatory that their updates are released on one day (they give companies plenty of time for testing before announcing), if they don't, apple will pull out of the stores...

Something I would love to see happen :)

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple also has zero competition which is why they have zero other considerations with the carriers. They also provide tech support in their stores and have likely arranged to cover any device malfunctions for the carriers. As soon as Microsoft allowed any manufacturer to produce WPs, it opened the floodgates. Say a carrier wants an exlusivity contract, there are terms and stipulations. Say a company wants a logo on their device, there are contract clauses about that too. If Microsoft were to close the OS in Windows Phone Threshold and manufacture in house, they might be able to ink a contract with one US carrier with Apple level control. Maybe Sprint would agree to it? Remember the Palm Pre...

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll reiterate. If my icon doesn't have Cyan by the end of Saturday, my next phone will have the AT&T death star on it.

Wow. You're generous. My mind was made up earlier today.
HTC pooping on the WP parade with a six month old flagship repurposed cause they couldn't sell enough units.
HTC One M8FW, The exclusive pain of Verizon WP users since August 2014

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Kinda funny to see people get so worked up over this. Without a doubt Verizon sucks for taking so long, but Microsoft helped create this issue by backdooring their developer releases. What really frustrates me is just how much basic functionality I'm missing such as Bluetooth LE. I picked up a Nokia Treasure Tag from Verizon the other day at 33% off, can't help but think they would have sold many more units if they had promptly pushed Cyan.

One thing I really don't get is how MS/Nokia keep pushing the Icon as being a flagship device that will receive updates first, guessing they aren't using Verizon as their plans are really getting screwed over by VZ.

On a side note I think its obvious that all US carriers are crap at pushing updates, Android updates for the most part are the opposite with VZ pushing updates earlier than AT&T.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When I had my Droid, Google announced kit Kat 4.4 and a week later Verizon upgraded my phone to 4.2

^This is standard operating procedure for Verizon, except for Apple they suck at updates and look how badly they screwed up even an unlocked pure Google phone like they did with the Galaxy Nexus. At least Google had the sense to never again let them have a Nexus phone.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
To be fair VZ have been good at updating Motorola recently. Droids and Moto X received 4.4.4 within weeks of it's release. I guess they have a method to their prioritization and the Icon just isn't one of their priorities :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers