Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
SO..I got tired of waiting and decided to install the 8.1 DP on my Icon. Looks like it will be installing for a while.
Who knows, I might roll back to 8 and find a surprise! :) Seriously though, my husband has the HTC with 8.1 and I like the look of the OS, but I won't give up my call & sms blocking with Lumia. They take that away, I'm back on Android or going to IPhone where there are third party apps to deal with it. And I want to hear Cortana sing! :)

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I hate Verizon. I bought my Icon a month and a half ago and I'm still on 8. I love 8, but I really want Cortana.

Verizon is horrible. I went in to pick up the Lumia Icon I ordered online and the sales lady was grilling me, asking me why I would want this phone? I then asked her what she knew about it to which she replies "I know nothing about it".

I mean, damn. Microsoft really needs to send out people to train the verizon team on how to sell a windows phone. A friend of mine went into Verizon alone and left with a Droid Maxx. They didn't even present her with any other options. They only will sell what they think they know how to sell. VERIZON SUCKS.

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I hate Verizon. I bought my Icon a month and a half ago and I'm still on 8. I love 8, but I really want Cortana.

Verizon is horrible. I went in to pick up the Lumia Icon I ordered online and the sales lady was grilling me, asking me why I would want this phone? I then asked her what she knew about it to which she replies "I know nothing about it".

I mean, damn. Microsoft really needs to send out people to train the verizon team on how to sell a windows phone. A friend of mine went into Verizon alone and left with a Droid Maxx. They didn't even present her with any other options. They only will sell what they think they know how to sell. VERIZON SUCKS.

Been on DP ever since I got my icon. No issues, other than the lack of BT LE. If that's what's holding you back, then your complaints are understandable. If not, then get to it and register.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with ATT. They are just as bad. I left in June after 15+ years dealing with their junk. And be prepared to pay more a month.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Been on DP ever since I got my icon. No issues, other than the lack of BT LE. If that's what's holding you back, then your complaints are understandable. If not, then get to it and register.

I am holding back because I've been told by those at Microsoft and Verizon that it would void my warranty : (

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am holding back because I've been told by those at Microsoft and Verizon that it would void my warranty : (

That is not entirely true, and it all depends on who you speak to
If the phone is trashed and won't turn on, how are they going to know in the first place.
It's a scare tactic my Verizon and an uninformed MS person.

First off, it's an OS update, not a hardware update
If their are any issues with hardware, they can't technically deny the warranty due to an OS update.
Will they try to weezle themselves out of it? Yeah, probably.

That's like Dell telling you that your warranty is void over all if you decide to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1on the PC you got Windows with. This doesn't happen.

If they are allowed to do that, then there are some SERIOUS changes that need to be made legislatively.

I keep saying it and people need to get it through their heads...

Cell Phones are no long Phones that happen to connect to the internet
They are Hand Held Computers that happen to make phone calls.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing?

You're welcome?

Good luck with ATT. They are just as bad. I left in June after 15+ years dealing with their junk. And be prepared to pay more a month.

I've already negotiated a contract with a rep at AT&T. I'd pay $10 less per month than what I'm currently getting with my "loyalty" plan on Verizon. And while I was in the store, I had a chance to check out their WP8's, the 1520, 1020, and 635 were all boldly displayed at the front and center of the store. And they all had Cyan/Wp8.1 loaded on them. I've also tested AT&T's network in my area the last couple weeks. Really not a major difference in quality/coverage as compared to Verizon.

Seems like a big step up for me. And I too have been with my carrier, Verizon, for 15 years.

Hopmedic wrote a good piece of that subject. Might interest you. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...081-warranty-does-developer-preview-void.html

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, I lost my bet. We're at 25 pages and still no WP8.1/Cyan.

Are we there yet?

P.S. And I still wearing this stupid dunce cap!

Last edited:

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome?

I've already negotiated a contract with a rep at AT&T. I'd pay $10 less per month than what I'm currently getting with my "loyalty" plan on Verizon. And while I was in the store, I had a chance to check out their WP8's, the 1520, 1020, and 635 were all boldly displayed at the front and center of the store. And they all had Cyan/Wp8.1 loaded on them. I've also tested AT&T's network in my area the last couple weeks. Really not a major difference in quality/coverage as compared to Verizon.

Seems like a big step up for me. And I too have been with my carrier, Verizon, for 15 years.

Hopmedic wrote a good piece of that subject. Might interest you. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...081-warranty-does-developer-preview-void.html
if you go to att what will you replace your icon with?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
if you go to att what will you replace your icon with?

Good question. I have two options.

1.) Use my Icon on AT&T until a new phone comes out so that I can use my new contract upgrade.
2.) Sell my Icon and pick up a 1520.3 - which is a fantastic phone, IMO. Then I can still use the upgrade in early 2015 when the next Microsoft flagship hopefully comes out.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That is not entirely true, and it all depends on who you speak to
If the phone is trashed and won't turn on, how are they going to know in the first place.
It's a scare tactic my Verizon and an uninformed MS person.

First off, it's an OS update, not a hardware update
If their are any issues with hardware, they can't technically deny the warranty due to an OS update.
Will they try to weezle themselves out of it? Yeah, probably.

That's like Dell telling you that your warranty is void over all if you decide to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1on the PC you got Windows with. This doesn't happen.

If they are allowed to do that, then there are some SERIOUS changes that need to be made legislatively.

I keep saying it and people need to get it through their heads...

Cell Phones are no long Phones that happen to connect to the internet
They are Hand Held Computers that happen to make phone calls.

Oops! I Amened the wrong post. I meant to Amen this one.

Amen!

:-D

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Tcman is an insider who has delivered quality information to these forums on multiple occasions. He also has served WPCentral forum members by checking things like Verizon inventory in the past. If he definitively says that the reason the Icon doesn't have Cyan/8.1 is an exclusivity agreement with HTC, then that's the reason. And yeah, it's pretty crappy.

Tc, any word on how much longer than exclusivity agreement is in place?
It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others

My mind immediately thinks that actions like this will hurt the platform just a little bit more. The exclusivity of the phone only being on one carrier for the time being as well as a deal to be the only phone on the carrier with 8.1. way to attract customers verizon /s. but then again its verizon so it shouldn't surprise any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster