Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, so much for the one month exclusivity theory...

OM8FW dropped on August 19. Today, Sep 20 and still nothing. Not even a coming soon page on Verizon News website.

It's repugnantly abhorrent.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy the action center way, way too much to go back to 8.0. Transparent tiles and Cortana are more of a parlor trick to show off to friends, i love having them, but could live without them. Firmware updates are where its at,and i'm disappointed to have to wait on that. I said from the beginning that i would love to have a feature like Google does with "Ok Google" "Hey Cortana" is going to be amazing. can't wait to get it in 3 years.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Had to get a new Sim today because mine somehow got turned off. Verizon guy didn't even now where the Sim was on the Icon. He didn't even know about an update. I guess they are too busy with the iPhone 6

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Had to get a new Sim today because mine somehow got turned off. Verizon guy didn't even now where the Sim was on the Icon. He didn't even know about an update. I guess they are too busy with the iPhone 6

Yeah, I had the same problem when I got my Icon. The guy did not know how the "SIMPLE" interface worked for settings. They probably got a full day of training on the iPhone...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, so much for the one month exclusivity theory...

OM8FW dropped on August 19. Today, Sep 20 and still nothing. Not even a coming soon page on Verizon News website.

It's repugnantly abhorrent.

Oh come on. You didn't think they would drop it on the first Saturday after the iPhone 6 went on sale? They are way too busy raking in the dough. They probably sell more iPhone 6 CASES this weekend than all the WP phones they've sold combined. According to the earlier member, it ran through September. We'll see I guess.

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've used Lumia Icon with DP WP8.1 for two weeks right now and I've not had any problems except MMS messages won't work at all :( SMS messages and everything else is working like a charm. But I'm using Icon in Finland in GSM/3G network since we don't have CDMA technology over here.

Speaking of iPhone 6: I guess "iBelievers" (as I call them) will buy them on the spot but someone else who really appreciates the technical/hardware features of the phone won't waste his/her time to fiddle with iPhone 6. Even one of my colleagues who was a real "iBeliever" purchased a Samsung Android phone to himself ;)

Edit: could someone find a way to flash Lumia 930's ROM to Icon???????

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you check my post history, I've been saying for some time that I believe the delay is for testing WP8.1 Update 1 and it's support of VoLTE.

Except that makes no sense. Why would the delay of Cyan/8.1 be because of something that is NOT included in Cyan and 8.1? They could just as well send out Update 1 later on without delaying Cyan/8.1.

Hey I'll be happy if we get Update 1 with it. But that doesn't make the delay excusable at all.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
(family standing around empty carrier store. The Rock enters.)

THE ROCK: Carriers release updates whenever they damn well please. What do you think about that?

YOU: Verizon...

THE ROCK: It doesn't matter what you think!

(insert white background with MS logo)

THE ROCK: Buy unlocked for your free slice of poon tang pie.

(pans back to Rock giving people's eyebrow)

THE ROCK: Get em now jabronis.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Except that makes no sense. Why would the delay of Cyan/8.1 be because of something that is NOT included in Cyan and 8.1? They could just as well send out Update 1 later on without delaying Cyan/8.1.

Hey I'll be happy if we get Update 1 with it. But that doesn't make the delay excusable at all.

Because that would involve two full network test and releases instead of one. Verizon is just not going to do that and, tbh, I don't blame them. Their testing process is too rigorous and time consuming as it is.

And, to attempt to look at it from their point of view, they will select the update that lines up more with their initiatives, which is Update 1 with VoLTE. When that network upgrade fully launches and the marketing department starts to push it (like with XLTE), they want as many devices as possible to have it and that would require all of their WP's to have Update 1.

And, for the record, I'm not trying to excuse how long it's taking to get this update. I'm just trying to find plausible reasons why it would be taking this long and this one makes a lot of sense to me.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Because that would involve two full network test and releases instead of one. Verizon is just not going to do that and, tbh, I don't blame them. Their testing process is too rigorous and time consuming as it is.

And, to attempt to look at it from their point of view, they will select the update that lines up more with their initiatives, which is Update 1 with VoLTE. When that network upgrade fully launches and the marketing department starts to push it (like with XLTE), they want as many devices as possible to have it and that would require all of their WP's to have Update 1.

And, for the record, I'm not trying to excuse how long it's taking to get this update. I'm just trying to find plausible reasons why it would be taking this long and this one makes a lot of sense to me.
Sure hope you're right!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've tried tweeting Vzw and no response; I've chatted online and I keep getting "it's still under testing" crap. Tomorrow I will begin a phone campaign calling and complaining.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've tried tweeting Vzw and no response; I've chatted online and I keep getting "it's still under testing" crap. Tomorrow I will begin a phone campaign calling and complaining.
I think Daniel Rubino should call Microsoft and let them know what is going on with Verizon and some other carriers. I am sure MS probably knows about it. However, we need someone with some clout to get MS to push Verizon. It is in there best interest to keep WP customers happy. We are supporting a new platform and Microsoft. They should at least have the respect for their users to at least give us an accurate time instead of the "I DON'T KNOW' crap...

TomAd9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This is frustration talking...Cyan has been released for quite some time and in that time Apple has had their announcement event, released the phone and operating system upgrade. All on schedule. Anyway, I am a big supporter of Microsoft but it looks like they are slipping in the market and they have no problem with VZW giving them the shaft...Looks like Apple has taking the market again..:eck:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99