Lumia 1020 unlocked available now on Microsoft Store: Why sell unlocked at EOL?

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The product is at the end of life,so why sell unlocked this late? Could it be that the ATT version is the one EOL? The specs on it still seem worth buying and to use on tmobile sounds like a Score

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the phone will still be updated and kept up until its successor comes out. Its just ending life on att because they prob aren't selling what they consider to be enough compared to android flagships. Its still a worthy investment for anyone into photography hardcore.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
One way of reducing stock - they could have been flashed from carrier specific to country variant because the carriers won't buy them in if they are EOL.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My question is compared to the 521, which I currently have, will the phone be as fast as my current phone. I love photography and seriously considering the 1020 unless something with a comparable camera,lte and works on T-Mobile

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My question is compared to the 521, which I currently have, will the phone be as fast as my current phone. I love photography and seriously considering the 1020 unless something with a comparable camera,lte and works on T-Mobile
EOL simply means it won't be produced anymore, it doesn't mean no further updates for the device will happen. Afaik MS committed a rough two year of support lifespan per WP device.
The 1020, if you can trust those statistics, has never been a good selling device. I think MS simply decided it is not actually worth it to keep it under production. By offering existing units in their own stores unlocked they have a cheap way to reduce stock a bit and maybe make some money.

As to your question: The 1020 is surely faster than your 521 and well worth an upgrade. The only area were your phone will be superior is shot-to-shot times, since the 1020 has a very slow,shooting frequency.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
We just bought two. I have no issues buying an EOL phone. We never bought from MS direct, but a store that had an ebay site, and we picked up two unlocked white models. Can't wait to get them now.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
EOL doesn't mean that Microsoft will stop supporting the phone and releasing updates (although they could). It really just means they are going to stop manufacturing and advertising it.

Microsoft is likely just using what they have left of the 1020 parts and selling all the extra stock as unlocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes