First Windows device! Looking for Opinions.

steva11

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
So I got my first windows device, the 1020. Just starting playing around and there's some apps here that I didn't know were available for this OS, so that's a plus.

I worked for BlackBerry for close to 6 years and then went android, so I know a fair bit about phones, but this is pretty new to me. Looking to see what apps people download first, and what settings people usually tweak and stuff like that.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey there! Congrats on the new 1020, hope the camera lives up to its hype! haha.

Anyway, some stuff to look out for, the first few days your battery life may be somewhat disappointing. Doesn't always happen but it happens. I pride myself on my battery life so I usually turn off things like NFC, Bluetooth, double-tap to wake up, glance, and a few other features unless I need them at the moment. I also turn off "connect to xbox music" if you're running 8.0, and it will allow great customisation of the music experience. As well, if you don't use xbox live or really don't care if it's on the phone or not, go into the games hub and switch off 'connect to xbox live.' That will also save some battery.

In terms of apps, it all depends what you do/follow. I usually start out with the "Lumia System Updater" which is a collection of all system apps as well as a few social and navigation apps in one place. You can install them all individually from that app and you'll wanna make sure your major systems are up to date. It's like when you get a new computer and you install all the proper drivers first. Those system downloads will open up new settings for you such as touch settings which will allow super-sensitive touch or disabling of the haptic feedback of the navigation bar, as well as simply optimizing the user experience.

After that the rest is really up to you :)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey welcome to WPCentral forums and congratulations for your lumia 1020 :smile:
You may install WPCentral app to stay up to date with all the windows phone news :wink:
Here is a short list of my apps I install / recommend to a new windows phones user.
1.WPCentral
2.Whatsapp
2.Skype/viber
4.Nokia creative studio
4.Bing suite apps (news , weather , health , travel )
5.fotor
6.fresh paint
7.instagaram or 6tag
8.jack of tools pro
9.messenger
10.metrotube
11.nokia refocus
12.office lens
13.shazam
14.facebook
15.PDF reader

steva11

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! so a couple questions...is there a way to access quick settings? like on BB/Andriod, you can swipe down from the top to access notifications, brightness, toggle bluetooth/wifi and stuff like that. The only way i can see to adjust these on the 1020 is actually having to go into settings.

I didn't know instagram and netflix were available...that's pretty sweet. just signed up for bbm beta too so hopefully that won't be too long.

Also, is 8.1 coming for this phone? I saw it's running 8.0 and there's no updates available right now when i checked.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
8.1 has quick settings, or "Action Center," which has quick settings that you can customize from a pre defined list, with a notification center right below. Also, 8.1 is coming to ALL devices (sadly, besides the 810), so you're set on that as well! Enjoy the new phone, that's only getting better. :)

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The Action Center (like the notification center for iphone and your quick settings for android) is a feature of windows phone 8.1. It currently isn't 'officially' released but you are free to download the developer preview which is essentially the official build, save not being bundled with the upcoming Lumia Cyan Firmware, so you may be dealing with a few bugs here and there. As well, you're given quite a few more features with the update.

To get it, download "Preview for Developers" from the store. Then register as a 'developer' on microsofts developer studio. A few google/bing searches should get you in the right place. There's two ways to register, one where you have to pay, and another where it's free. Choose the free option, it works the same. Once registered, go into the Preview for Developers app and 'enroll' your phone by following the prompts. Once finished, have your phone check for updates and you'll see a few waiting for you.

If you cant stomach the bugs after seeing what's new, you can download nokia's software recovery tool and roll back to 8.0 for now.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! so a couple questions...is there a way to access quick settings? like on BB/Andriod, you can swipe down from the top to access notifications, brightness, toggle bluetooth/wifi and stuff like that. The only way i can see to adjust these on the 1020 is actually having to go into settings.

I didn't know instagram and netflix were available...that's pretty sweet. just signed up for bbm beta too so hopefully that won't be too long.

Also, is 8.1 coming for this phone? I saw it's running 8.0 and there's no updates available right now when i checked.

WP 8.1 is coming to your phone. It will have the notification center where you can swipe from top to see notifications. It will have the quick settings that you are looking for and separate volume control for phone apps.

If you can't wait, you can sign up for WP 8.1 developer preview and get it now. I recommend it now as it is awesome. You don't have to wait for your carrier. Just get it from. Microsoft directly l.

anon(8921886)

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 is coming to all windows phone 8 devices, so also yours. In 8.1 are the quick settings. Nokia by Microsoft started rolling out today.

Now you can use a tile in the time you have 8.0

Intrepid00

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
awesome! thanks for the quick replies! just gotta play around with this a bit and get used to it now. so far so good :)

Just be aware that there is really no risk to the Developer Preview as you can just use the Nokia Recovery tool to restore back to 8.0 at anytime. There is however some things we are waiting for in Cyan. For example there are some Bluetooth issues like BT 4.0 is gone till we get Cyan if you put on 8.1 through DP. You may also see some odds issues. For example sometimes MMS won't sent on my 1020 but a reboot fixes it. It seems to fix itself eventually but who wants to wait.

steva11

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I got the dev preview installed...man it's nicer. I have a question about the "live tiles" though. I have gmail, outlook, facebook, instagram and others on my home screen but all the show is a static icon. I assumed live tiles were supposed to show me updates...kinda like widgets on android. Am I wrong, or do I have stuff configured incorrectly?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the dev preview installed...man it's nicer. I have a question about the "live tiles" though. I have gmail, outlook, facebook, instagram and others on my home screen but all the show is a static icon. I assumed live tiles were supposed to show me updates...kinda like widgets on android. Am I wrong, or do I have stuff configured incorrectly?

Hey there some tiles which remain static (does not show information until you receive a new notification ) , for instance if you recover a new email , the gmail live tile should show no of unread emails (if you have a wider live tile it will show you a glimpse of that email ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs