Check Extra+Info: Cyan Update

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a reason. I recently (less than a week ago) bought a Lumia 820 from Amazon. Despite the product description, good seller reviews, and positive product reviews, the phone I got is actually set to a Mexican base (the carrier is apparently called Movistar), even though I'm in the US (and buying from the US Amazon store). It's annoying, but if 8.1 works fine here, I can get over it. But if being in a different country from my original firmware is a problem, or if the phone isn't actually factory unlocked, or some other unforeseen problem emerges that prevents the phone from getting 8.1, I need to know as soon as possible so I can return it and get a replacement. That's a reason to be annoyed and frustrated about unexpected delays at the last minute.

Incidentally, do I need to be checking the update list for Latin America -> Mexico -> 820 -> Movistar, or North America -> USA -> 820 -> AT&T? (I'm using T-Mobile, if it makes a difference.) And because of those issues, do I need to do anything special, or will checking in the phone updates tool find it properly?

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a reason. I recently (less than a week ago) bought a Lumia 820 from Amazon. Despite the product description, good seller reviews, and positive product reviews, the phone I got is actually set to a Mexican base (the carrier is apparently called Movistar), even though I'm in the US (and buying from the US Amazon store). It's annoying, but if 8.1 works fine here, I can get over it. But if being in a different country from my original firmware is a problem, or if the phone isn't actually factory unlocked, or some other unforeseen problem emerges that prevents the phone from getting 8.1, I need to know as soon as possible so I can return it and get a replacement. That's a reason to be annoyed and frustrated about unexpected delays at the last minute.

Incidentally, do I need to be checking the update list for Latin America -> Mexico -> 820 -> Movistar, or North America -> USA -> 820 -> AT&T? (I'm using T-Mobile, if it makes a difference.) And because of those issues, do I need to do anything special, or will checking in the phone updates tool find it properly?

There's absolutely no difference in your phone being from Mexico.
If it works fine now, so will it be after the update.

There's absolutely NOTHING to worry about firmwares or country, you're just getting new stuff for your phone. =]
Check under Latin America -> Mexico -> 820 -> Movistar.
The update will come through phone updates in settings as soon as it's available.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
It's annoying, but if 8.1 works fine here, I can get over it. But if being in a different country from my original firmware is a problem, or if the phone isn't actually factory unlocked, or some other unforeseen problem emerges that prevents the phone from getting 8.1, I need to know as soon as possible so I can return it and get a replacement. That's a reason to be annoyed and frustrated about unexpected delays at the last minute.

I got my 1020 online which came from Hong kong and Nokia Aus clearly states that it will not cover the new phone under warranty as it is an overseas model regardless of how new it is. Only for warranty purposes you need to chk with Nokia US to see what is covered and what not.

I flashed my 1020 HK SW with AU SW so I guess I have to wait for AUS release of the update, reasons being that the AU ver is smaller in size and I am assuming that the AU ver is designed for AU conditions and not necessarily that the phone will have issues in terms of operations. See how you go. If you have paid next to nothing in USD compared to what you would have paid in store, I am guessing it will be worth your while to hang on to It and if need be flash it with US version.

Hope it helps

P.S Updates for your phone will be available regardless of where you are with your phone. Only difference will be you will get what the phones from that region(ur phone) will get.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: After updating to Lumia Cyan, go to Extra + info... You'll be delighted to read Lumia Cyan... Th

You got many people confused here. When they update to Cyan they also get WP 8.1 as in they are released simultaneously. When users here say Cyan they mean the OS itself ( at least that is the impression I get). They don't have WP8.1 when they are waiting for Cyan. :cry:

In short all the users here that are carrying on about Cyan update are talking/ waiting on WP 8.1

Then there's no reason to complain about not having any new features. WP 8.1 has tons.

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my 1020 HK SW with AU SW so I guess I have to wait for AUS release of the update, reasons being that the AU ver is smaller in size and I am assuming that the AU ver is designed for AU conditions and not necessarily that the phone will have issues in terms of operations. See how you go. If you have paid next to nothing in USD compared to what you would have paid in store, I am guessing it will be worth your while to hang on to It and if need be flash it with US version.

Hope it helps

P.S Updates for your phone will be available regardless of where you are with your phone. Only difference will be you will get what the phones from that region(ur phone) will get.

Thanks! I'm not particularly tech savvy (at least by the standards on these forums, anyway), so I'm wondering: would flashing the phone to the US version change the basic things on the phone like the power-on splash screen too? Basically, how deep does the flashing go, and what stuff would be left behind?

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I'm not particularly tech savvy (at least by the standards on these forums, anyway), so I'm wondering: would flashing the phone to the US version change the basic things on the phone like the power-on splash screen too? Basically, how deep does the flashing go, and what stuff would be left behind?

Yes, would change the power-on splash screen according to the new software you're flashing. It basically wipes everything, and install the system again. Just like a factory reset does, only with another version of the system.
You should check (aka search) if someone already flashed a phone like yours with an US version.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

How Deep? that unfortunately I can help you with. I can confirm with my options that I had a smaller SW in AU ver by nearly 100 Megs. I was advised by one of the ex employees of Nokia that it could be because of the language packs. Regardless he said no matter which ver SW as long as the RM number is a match the SW will work smoothly. He also said if there isn't much of a difference in terms of the size leave the original OS intact and wait a bit for the update. It will be worth it.

What I am trying to say is the less you muck around with flashing and resets the better it is in the long run.

With Flashing my phone there was no difference that I noticed with the splash screen (same blue windows logo), some changes in the language and region selection like it was chinese and region was HK I think by default which I had to change to Eng, couple may be more additional languages to choose from in HK ver, missing one or two default softwares by region which was in AU ver and default photos that were in the phone. I was also advised that there could be a difference when it comes to how it works in Australian networks ( not sure how he meant it) and no It will not remove the network Lock

Hope this helps. You can also Google oops I mean Bing the differences I am sure someone would have made a bigger detailed list on this.

Cheers

P.S to find out what you have and what you may or may not get. Go to your extras and Info under settings tap on more info and you will get the manufacture's name it shoud look something like RM-XXX_XXXXX where first 3 X's forms the RM number or hardware type and the rest is the region code eg
•APAC = Asia-Pacific
•EU/EURO/EURO1/EURO2 = Europe
•IMEA/MEA = Middle East and Africa
•LATAM/LTA = Latin American
•NAM = North American
. Get the RM number and search the country specific product codes for that RM-XXX then look up difference between what you have and what you want. You might just bump into info that you want.

Last edited:
May 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello i have lumia 520, i have done the preview for developer update a few moths back. Now Cyan update has released but when i am trying to get the actual update its showing your phone is up to date.. though in extra + info its lumia black. i have also tried unchecking the box inside the preview for developers and clicking done but still my phones not taking the update what shall i do? please help me out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos