Power/volume buttons not working

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 928 during literally the only 5 minutes I've ever taken it out of its case, and it cracked right at the upper right corner. The back casing of the phone was semi popped off, but with a gentle push it seemed to snap back on half way decently, and then I put my case back on to further strengthen the weak joint. The case doesn't easily accept all headphone jacks, so I had to take the case off again, and since the case is so tight fitting, it made the back case of the phone come off even more than before, and now my power and volume buttons don't work. My camera button does work, but nothing else. Also my back, home and search keys lost their haptic feedback which isn't a big deal but I thought I should mention it.

My question is whether this could be an easy fix of maybe reattaching some wire or something? I am nervous about taking it apart for fear that it
will stop working completely, but if its not as delicate as I think, them I'm willing to give it a shot. Does anyone have any experience with this? any help would be greatly appreciated

jackmckenzie5

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to me this past fall. I wasn't aware that it would be covered under warranty, so I didn't try pastelero79's route. I instead opted to see if anything had become disconnected, and set out to find disassembly instructions. I ended up using this video (voids warranty, proceed at your own risk): Nokia Lumia 928 Disassembly to remove the back cover. What I found was that one of the (very) many plastic clips that hold the back and front panels together had snapped off and was lodged between the pins mounted to the inside of the back cover for the side controls. The wiring for the volume and power is on the back panel, and these transfer it to the board on the display-side of the sandwich. Simply removing the plastic shard fixed the issue, although the two halves are still not perfectly sealed on the damaged corner (put some of that blame on the very tight Poetic Atmosphere case). If warranty covers it I would definitely do that. This is not a device that bows to disassembly easily.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
And if they asked how it got damaged....say you had it delivered and noticed the corner of the box was dented. Basically blame it on the delivery guy. Your then 100% covered for a replacement. Don't get a repair as the drop may have weaken a component on the circuit board. Get a brand new replacement...and for god sake....dont drop it lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb