Three UK 4G and the Nokia Lumia 930

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm
Am on the phone to EE at the moment, as I have no 4G (am in central London), and no internet at all.
The 930 is not available on their system to find the settings, but I think there is something bigger wrong here - someone mentioned here about the networks not 'recognising' the phone.

Their troubleshooting the line at the moment, but are going to have to escalate it to "higher technical support" :(

The settings would be no different to the settings given to something like a Galaxy Note 2, or the Galaxy S5 (which isn't that mucher newer than the 930). Anyway, APN settings are hard coded into the SIM, which is why you can't edit them.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm
Am on the phone to EE at the moment, as I have no 4G (am in central London), and no internet at all.
The 930 is not available on their system to find the settings, but I think there is something bigger wrong here - someone mentioned here about the networks not 'recognising' the phone.

Their troubleshooting the line at the moment, but are going to have to escalate it to "higher technical support" :(

I'm on ee and have had no issues at all so don't think its a general issue with the phone. I've seen loss of data on three with congested towers but it took technical support to actually tell me what the issue was. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I've used 3 on a PAYG sim and where I worked I had no 3G signal, but the phone did drop to 2G and I could make calls/text
How did you determine you were on 2g? Just because you have no data connection does not mean you are on someone else's 2g network. I would think if you dropped off the three network you would show as roaming so until you do you are still on three.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
How did you determine you were on 2g? Just because you have no data connection does not mean you are on someone else's 2g network. I would think if you dropped off the three network you would show as roaming so until you do you are still on three.

Actually in very few areas Three use EEs 2G network where they don't have a 3g or 4g network.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
To be fair. At no point in my conversations with the have they said that they won't fix the issue because the phone isn't supported.

So far, while they haven't been able to fix my issue yet, they do claim that they will work on it. I only raised it with them yesterday (a Sunday), and their level 2 support did escalate the issue so I'm prepared to give them a day or two...

For the record, as of this morning data is working on my 930 with three. I've not seen a 4G yet (in Enfield, North London) but compared to having no data it it's a great improvement. I ran a speed test this morning and got around 16Mbps over what was indicated as H+, in case that helps.

UPDATE ... and the three second line folks have just given me their promised callback to confirm the data issue was resolved. While it would have been better had this not been an issue at all, I'm actually rather impressed by the support I've received (particularly given that I'd heard bad reports of Three support).

Still no sign of a 4G signal, but the support guy just confirmed that it is actually pretty weak in my area, but said they are continuing the roll out of 4G...

Last edited:

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to let you know that I'm on 3 am not having any network issues. I work in the centre of Birmingham and have a decent 4G signal (when not connected to the work wifi :))

I'm in the last 2 months of my 3 contract and bought my 930 from unlocked mobiles. The day it arrived I went to the 3 store to get a new nano sim - my old phone was an iPhone 4s with micro sim - an hour later my number was changed over to the new sim and off I went. No issues so far.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, APN settings are hard coded into the SIM, which is why you can't edit them.
You can edit them, and they're not hardcoded into the SIM!.

Anyway, issue now resolved - it was the 'network transfer' from my old EE (via Orange) account to my new EE (now EE). It's been quite a common issue, so the girl on the phone (after 40 mins of trying stuff) had to re-transfer my account, and all of a sudden everything started working.

So I now have internet and 4G :) Great stuff!

androsgav

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok so yesterday got a lumia 635 from carphonewarehouse and trying to use with my existing three contract which has unlimited internet but no tethering. The problem is the same as others will let me browse for 2 mins then times out. Called support today and they agreed to add unlimited tethering from my next bill date to see if this works. Any other suggestions guys? I see some of you say the problem is fixed...,how was this done please ?

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to the three support team and told them it was a new phone and that people on forums had seen issues due to the phone/browser registering on their systems as a desktop browser. They then passed it through to the second line support, who raised a ticket with the tethering support team. This was Sunday afternoon.

This morning it was working again and later I received a text to tell me they'd fixed the issue. Even later, this afternoon, I got a call back from the original second line support guy who confirmed they'd added an exception to my account for the phone do that it wouldn't be identified as a desktop browser any more. Overall, I thought it was pretty good service, if a bit rubbish that it happened at all!

What is daft is that they clearly know this is a problem, but they are fixing it on a case by case basis rather than updating the entire system. I'm sure they will get it sorted globally soon, though as they even acknowledged the problem in a comment on their blog yesterday.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
No idea what is going on with 3 today, I've got 2bars of no idea what and the roaming icon at home, I can send texts. When I try searching for network it says no network found. I normally have 4/5 bars of h+.
Can the phone roam in your home country? (1020).

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
As I have mentioned in another thread, I have been in touch with Three via their blog both in anticipation of problems on my new phone and after I, like others, had problems. Again I have been assured that they are "working on it" and that my own account will be altered to allow my access to data in my Lumia 930.

I will let you know how I get on.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I made my shift from the iPhone 5 to the Nokia Lumia 930, and on the whole the 930 is absolutely fantastic, I'm very pleased with it. I got it from Unlocked-Mobiles.com. However, there's one pretty big problem that I wondered if anyone had any advice on.

I purchased a SIM-Only 'One Plan' from Three last Friday, in order to grab their deal before they removed it a few days ago. Now that I've put my SIM into the Lumia 930, I can make calls, texts and use 3G data (ranging from 0.5mbps to 13mbps depending on where I am), but my phone has never connected to Three's 4G network. It always says either H or H+ in the top left corner.

I have tested it in Birmingham as well as Coventry City Centre, so I know that I am in 4G areas. If I click 'Settings' and then 'Mobile + SIM', it says 'Active Network - 3' and 'Data Connection - On', and under SIM settings, it says 'Highest Connection Speed - 4G', 'Network Selection - Automatic' and 'Mobile Connection Profile - 3 UK'.

So, has anyone managed to connect to Three's 4G network using a Nokia Lumia 930? Three seem to think its a fault with the phone rather than their SIM or network. Do I need to edit any particular APN settings?
Switch to giffgaff ;)

Last edited:

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Switch to giffgaff ;)

Giffgaff which offers a maximum of 1gb of data to a certain users who signed up before a certain date, and who's network had had more down times than any other network. In the last year giffgaff has had over 10 downtimes some lasting 3 days (including o2 down times) don't think they are a network to recommend.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Giffgaff which offers a maximum of 1gb of data to a certain users who signed up before a certain date, and who's network had had more down times than any other network. In the last year giffgaff has had over 10 downtimes some lasting 3 days (including o2 down times) don't think they are a network to recommend.

Yup.. if O2 goes down, giffgaff goes with it, because they run on O2's infrastructure.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been on giffgaff since they launched, and I've only had one outage in all that time. I've gotten good coverage where other networks struggle.

For ?12/month I get 250 mins, unlimited sms, unlimited data and free giffgaff to giffgaff calls. I find they're hard to beat.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Three has sorted me out. Several others have also been on to them via the blog and have been promised action.

My data speeds are SO much quicker on the L930 than on my L800 on 3G!! If this is how quick 3G can be then I can't wait to get into the city and try out 4G!!😃

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been on giffgaff since they launched, and I've only had one outage in all that time. I've gotten good coverage where other networks struggle.

For ?12/month I get 250 mins, unlimited sms, unlimited data and free giffgaff to giffgaff calls. I find they're hard to beat.

Does that include 4G data?
My Three contract ends in September and I need an unlimited data SIM only deal.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Does that include 4G data?
My Three contract ends in September and I need an unlimited data SIM only deal.

New GiffGaff SIM cards are 4G enabled. If you have an old one they will upgrade it for free. But, frankly, Three seems to be very competitive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo