Terrible review from TechRadar

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should have stayed with evolving the Nokia 800. Instead the phones kept getting bigger and fatter. The 800 could have grown incremental and lost weight.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember exactly how it was stated in the video, but assuming thatuxguy's quote is correct, you've got to admit that specifying required RAM capacity to be a function of bit'ness is at least very suspicious.

Being generous, I'd say the statement is too vague to mean anything. If you want to be strict about it, it's just downright wrong.

I was actually asking about the claim that the video is an 'Android advert'. You're right. Indeed, moving to a 64 bit processor doesn't increase the RAM requirements (much). You might want a 64 bit processor if you have more than 4GB of RAM or are dealing with very large files (unlikely on a smartphone today), although even then it's not necessary in all cases. Not sure why it's 'suspicious', though - what suspicions does it raise, other than that the reviewers don't have a deep understanding of all the technical details? To the best of my knowledge, there are no 64 bit Android phones today - I'm happy to be corrected if that's not true - so it's hardly promoting Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was actually asking about the claim that the video is an 'Android advert'. You're right. Indeed, moving to a 64 bit processor doesn't increase the RAM requirements (much). You might want a 64 bit processor if you have more than 4GB of RAM or are dealing with very large files (unlikely on a smartphone today), although even then it's not necessary in all cases. Not sure why it's 'suspicious', though - what suspicions does it raise, other than that the reviewers don't have a deep understanding of all the technical details? To the best of my knowledge, there are no 64 bit Android phones today - I'm happy to be corrected if that's not true - so it's hardly promoting Android.

Well, you're not leaving us much choice but to guess what you're asking about, are you? After all, your question was just: "please explain your last comment". Anyway, my point is that whatever you were asking about, the statement itself makes little to no sense, which we apparently all agree on.

Maybe it was an Android advert, I don't know. If it was, it was pretty bad, as it probably didn't make a single person in the world want to go out and buy an Android device. I suspect that if confronted, not even the reviewers themselves would be sure about the point they were trying to make with that sentence.

As to your question in regards to what is suspicious, well, you just answered that yourself. :wink:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, you're not leaving us much choice but to guess what you're asking about, are you? After all, your question was just: "please explain your last comment". Anyway, my point is that whatever you were asking about, the statement itself makes little to no sense, which we apparently all agree on.

Maybe it was an Android advert, I don't know. If it was, it was pretty bad, as it probably didn't make a single person in the world want to go out and buy an Android device. I suspect that if confronted, not even the reviewers themselves would be sure about the point they were trying to make with that sentence.

As to your question in regards to what is suspicious, well, you just answered that yourself. :wink:

Well, indeed, I could have been clearer about what I meant by 'last comment'. 'Last sentence' would have been better. :)

I was expecting 'suspicions' to be around some global conspiracy against Windows Phone (see other threads), but I'm happy if that wasn't the case, and in fact I tend to share your suspicions...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, that review wasn't "terrible" and I think sums up what a lot of outsiders feel about the WP platform in general.
Most people on this forums are used to WP missing features/apps/doing things differently but not someone who's used to an android phone.

I've been toying with a Moto G the last few days and there's been quite a few times I've felt, "hey wow, I wish my 820 did that". They weren't any groundbreaking features, but really tiny things like pattern unlock, night mode and so on.

WP8.1 seems awesome to us WPers, but if you look at it objectively, is just playing catch-up to what Android has had for years - pull down notifications, orientation lock, separated volume and so on. There's still quite a bit missing.

Also, like it or not, the fact remains that the 930 is year old tech. How do you expect people to compare it with say an S5 or G3 and sing praises in favour of it?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, that review wasn't "terrible" and I think sums up what a lot of outsiders feel about the WP platform in general.
Most people on this forums are used to WP missing features/apps/doing things differently but not someone who's used to an android phone.

I've been toying with a Moto G the last few days and there's been quite a few times I've felt, "hey wow, I wish my 820 did that". They weren't any groundbreaking features, but really tiny things like pattern unlock, night mode and so on.

WP8.1 seems awesome to us WPers, but if you look at it objectively, is just playing catch-up to what Android has had for years - pull down notifications, orientation lock, separated volume and so on. There's still quite a bit missing.

Also, like it or not, the fact remains that the 930 is year old tech. How do you expect people to compare it with say an S5 or G3 and sing praises in favour of it?
Pattern lock is probably the worst security measure ever.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
It really is sad how pervasive Android and iPhone fanboys are in the industry. They're at every level. My boss and a few of our programmers went for sales force training and they told me one of the presenters went out of his way to trash WP. Like an out of left field trashing, and his gripe was that "their updates break it". I wish I was joking but that was his actual reasoning behind trashing the platform. That's the part that really annoys me. The majority of them have never even used a Windows Phone and if they have they picked one up, looked at it and put it down. It's always evident in their comments. They range from shortsighted, to stupid, to outright untrue.
My iPad Mini (already sold) was just 1 month old when iOS 7.0.3 was out and jammed the entire settings app.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy using WP, but I sure don't love using it. I use it mainly as a weekend OS. It is really playing catch-up to Android and iOS. I really want a better browser experience! Websites just don't function as well in IE mobile. Gimme webkit or blink engine. Please and thanks.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Pattern lock is probably the worst security measure ever.

We've been down this road before:
Each time someone points out a missing feature or missing app in WP, the first defence I see is usually a:

"Ah, but that's a stupid feature to have..."

"You don't really need that feature/app..."

"We don't have that app, but the unofficial alternate we have is better..."

Search through the forums, how many times has the same been said about the notifications bar or the ability to search through text messages? Now that 8.1 finally has these years after android, we expect the world to suddenly fall in love with WP and give it rave reviews?

And for the record, pattern lock is NOT the worst security measure ever...technically face unlock is probably more insecure. But I actually prefer it when at home because it means by 3 year old can't get to my phone (she memories patterns and PINs pretty fast).

My point is, a missing feature is a missing feature whether it's useful for you or not!

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
For sure, the quality wont be there, but it's spec talk that the lazy review sites will tout repeatedly even without having one to test. One thing I absolutely hate about review channels is the vs features they make on products without even having used it! It's purely down to speculation of how the device will perform based on it's internals. Trouble is, this gets the average consumer excited and in to making rash purchases on pre-orders.

CPW must hate me by now, as I always exercise my 14day right on distance selling with handsets. I use the phone for a few days, decide if it works for me or not, if not I return it. SIimple! I make my own choice's, I don't rely on reviews!

thats true,i never follow reviews as well,thats how and why i got my lumias in the first place and it paid off
all these reviewers and shopkeepers (not wpc,talking about techradar etc) dont know that just googling a phone and getting a feel of one is differen

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
We've been down this road before:
Each time someone points out a missing feature or missing app in WP, the first defence I see is usually a:

"Ah, but that's a stupid feature to have..."

"You don't really need that feature/app..."

"We don't have that app, but the unofficial alternate we have is better..."

Search through the forums, how many times has the same been said about the notifications bar or the ability to search through text messages? Now that 8.1 finally has these years after android, we expect the world to suddenly fall in love with WP and give it rave reviews?

And for the record, pattern lock is NOT the worst security measure ever...technically face unlock is probably more insecure. But I actually prefer it when at home because it means by 3 year old can't get to my phone (she memories patterns and PINs pretty fast).

My point is, a missing feature is a missing feature whether it's useful for you or not!
Just take a look at the fingerprints on your screen.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Obvious. The fingerprints on the screen.

Sorry,
But I don't understand what you mean.

Anyway Android can all the things which can do but WP do not have all the features which we Android have.

So, no matter what security features you are talking about, Android already have that one plus more.
It's users choice what they prefer pattern, face lock, security code etc.

Blame them.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft should just focused on optimizing WP for every WP device.

I mean come on. Over-heating issues, battery draining apps (of course it's partly developers). Features can wait, I don't mind them releasing new features yearly. If they could just focus on building a solid near perfect experience for WP. Damn, I won't look at Apple again.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Obvious. The fingerprints on the screen.
Sorry, But I don't understand what you mean.

Deriving the correct graphical password pattern (a feature provided by Android) based on screen smudges is quite a bit simpler than deriving the correct PIN from the smudges on a 3x3 number pad. Some studies have had over a 90% success rate.

I hope this helps clear things up.

So, no matter what security features you are talking about, Android already have that one plus more.
It's users choice what they prefer pattern, face lock, security code etc.Blame them.

You obviously haven't observed the IT industry for very long. Although you are technically correct, and I wish it were the way you say, that just isn't how people work. Folks will not blame themselves for having used a security feature that Android provides them. They will blame Android, and they do.

It's the exact same thing with Windows, which in terms of security, is pretty much the same as Android. Both prioritize flexibility and features above security-by-default. That means security is largely left as an issue for users to deal with. However, 99.99% of the time it is the user him/herself that provides malware the means to run on a computing system. Rarely are the technical systems themselves solely at fault. Considering that the overwhelming majority of computer users (even more so for smartphone users) are technically illiterate, they will always claim innocence via ignorance. It's just a fact of life. The products reputation will take a hit over time.

Just wanted to add this as a short discourse. Hope we can get back on topic. I won't be answering any questions pertaining to this.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Today any blog or website, with a bunch of new stupid kids who think they're journalists, can tell they're media. And SADLY they really are, because create opinions.

We live in a VERY VER VERY lazy society, where people do not search anymore. Where people just accept everything they are reading or listening. Anything said by a blog or a website is taken as true. The only truth.

That's the WP big problem at the first time. Theses garbage sites like Techradar hates Windows Phone. The media in general hates WP because it's full of stupid geeks who think they have the only big truth about everything.

So everbody is FORCED to hate Nokia or Windows Phone as well. People are forced to think they really needs all Android's features or Apple ecosystem. Don't get me wrong: some people really need a Android or a Iphone because Windows Phone don't have all. There are missing features or apps. We know that. It's just a case to ask: Do you really need anything else?

Most people don't. And this new media force them to believe they need it and Windows Phone are pure garbage, with no apps available, with great features are missing, etc etc etc.

And that's why I LOVE Wpcentral. They're special. They practice good journalism, free from personal and nonsense opinions. And when they have on, they make it clear for us!

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
my dad just took back the icon after 1 day. The reason being the apps. Unlike my brother who two years later can't name the app he wanted and they don't have, my dad had answers lol. He was looking for QuickBooks, PNC, and his local bank. Being a small business owner these are very important and a must so he went back to his iPhone. Which really sucks because had nothing but praise for the phone and OS.

Funny, my dad just switched from his Lumia 920 to a Nexus 5 also because of the apps (including the one for his local bank :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Funny, my dad just switched from his Lumia 920 to a Nexus 5 also because of the apps (including the one for his local bank :)

Banking apps are a huge problem for Microsoft. They are usually country and bank specific, so rarely show up in 'best seller' lists, but are very important to many users. None of the banks I use provide a WP app, but all support both iOS and Android. Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss