I really want one ... BUT so many issues!?

jm4cc

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all
Well i really love Windows o/s, the smoothness is second to none so please talk me into buying a 930 lol

Over the years i have had a few different windows phones and my last was a lumia 1520 but i had to get rid of it within 1 week as no notifications and no keyboard swype killed it for me (also the screen registering swipes as taps etc)
I said to myself at the time if this had notifications and swype i could ditch android for good!
Android is ok but just too messy and overly complicated in my opinion, The app store is great obviously but after the initial wow of so many apps i just end up having a small handful that i use anyway!
iPhone well been there done that, Just not my thing although iPads are great for easy surfing in bed etc!

Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
grey blacks
bad viewing angle
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
not the best battery life
sluggish keyboard
rattly volume buttons
etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy with my windows phone. Over the years I've used android and iPhone but now I'm unlikely to leave the windows phone. I love how easily everything syncs with my other windows devices (surface and PC) and I love the new 8.1.

I've had no issues at all running the preview on my HTC 8x. It doesn't get hot, battery life is usually around 20hrs of moderate use. I've also never experienced rattly buttons and my keyboard is fast to respond.

It now has notifications and swipe to type that you wanted. The only thing I wish was for more apps but they're coming (I'm hopeful).

Psyclone71

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
All I can talk about is my experience so far so:

I have the Lumia 930, LG G3, Galaxy S5 and IPhone 5s and out of all these phones I have been leaning more towards the Lumia 930. Its the phone I grab every time before going out the door....

I havn't had any purple screen issues with my phone and i think the viewing angles are really good, mine gets hot at times when playing games but so does all my other phones I have and it isn't really any problems. My 930 battery drained quite quick initially however after about 4 charges I am easily getting a full day out of the phone again this isn't a problem as I charge my phones over night anyway, keyboard is really good with the swift style keyboard dont understand the comment about sluggish keyboard!! there is a rattle but I think its the camera sensor IOS just like the 1020 but to be honest its hardly noticeable.

I am really, really chuffed i bought the Lumia 930, I am getting to grips with the camera and to be honest most of the photos I take I am really impressed with, the design is superb and deffo a head turner (if you have the green version like mine or the orange version) it just looks fantastic. I have used plenty of phones in the past and end up selling them as i get bored quite quick but i can honestly say i am really liking this phone, its a keeper......

What do other people think ????

PS the Windows OS is superb also, just a slight lack of Apps but deffo getting better.................:p

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I haven't experienced any issues with my 930 and I haven't put it down since picking it up at 9 am this morning. The OS runs buttery smooth as you would expect and the phone in the hand is just superb. I think it's got to be the best WP device out there at the minute and long may it continue.

The screen is one of the best I've seen on a Lumia to date, i'm well pleased i bought it and looks superb in black. I did want the orange one but o2 don't offer it on their refresh contract's. I've still kept my 1020 and 1520 as they both suit my other needs but compared to my GS5 work phone i would constantly use the 930 it is that good.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember that like with all products, people are far more to share their experience if it was negative. I'd say easily vast majority of 930s are just fine, but people are less likely to come here and say "I have a 930, it has no problems" as opposed to "I bought a 930 but it has problem X".

If there's a flaw, warranty should cover for it. You will never get yourself a new phone if you always skip out on buying based on complaints on forums. There's no product that wouldn't have an occasional lemon in there, but that's what warranty is for.

jm4cc

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all
Think i will just go ahead and order one from Amazon UK when in stock on Monday.
The good thing with Amazon is super easy returns should there be a problem.
On a side note as this is essentially a Lumia Icon i take it Lumia icon cases will fit it perfectly? really like the Incipio DualPro Case for Nokia Lumia Icon :)

@Coreldan i know what your mean when you say "You will never get yourself a new phone if you always skip out on buying based on complaints on forums"
But allot of people simply don't notice problems even though they do exist (wish i was a bit more like that myself lol)
After buying an iPhone 4 outright on release a few years ago it put me right of buying brand new phones.. That thing was terrible with the worst antenna issues ever, All iPhone 4's had the problem but look how many million they sold and the amount of people that didn't complain about poor signal or completely cutting the signal off just by holding it and bridging the gap on the antenna.

Cheers all
James

Ioan Said

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I got my 930 and am generally happy though the volume button does rattle and feel cheap, which I was a bit disappointed about. Glad someone else noticed.

This is my first WP so I'm still learning about it all. Got it yesterday.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
jm4cc, I've had the same concerns as you, please do come back and give us your impressions once you get your phone. Enjoy!

George Jefferies

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I got my 930 in orange on friday and have had no issues whatsoever. Like you I was a bit wary after reading about so many problems, but I'm really happy. My first windows phone (I have a Surface 2 and use Windows 8) and I am enjoying it so far!

jm4cc

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I got my 930 in orange on friday and have had no issues whatsoever. Like you I was a bit wary after reading about so many problems, but I'm really happy. My first windows phone (I have a Surface 2 and use Windows 8) and I am enjoying it so far!
exactly what i like to read mate :)

Mizmo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?
there is only one widespread problem and thats the purple tint screen.

Screen purple tint
yes, but it only appears with low light on automatic when the screen dimms below manual low settings. not sure if hardware or software problem

grey blacks
impossible. it's an amoled screen, black colour means that the pixels are turned off.

bad viewing angle
no. viewing angles are excellent but like all amoled displays there appears a slight bluish tint after a certain angle

gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
with normal use it stays much colder than my 920 on WP8.1. while gaming or installing a lot of stuff it can get quite hot but that problem have all smartphones with 800/801 chipset.

not the best battery life
battery life is good, especially if you compare the battery size with other high end phones. battery life is much better than on my 920 and I easily get through the day with it. I don't care if I get 1.5 or 1.7 days out of it because either way I have to plug it in every night. and "best" battery life can always only have I device....

sluggish keyboard
no? the pop up animation speed seems to wary a little bit but typing works perfectly fine without any delay or lag.

rattly volume buttons
no problems here.

every device has some problems and you will always read a lot about them on launch. if they bother you or not is your decision.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site

How's battery life, and what kind of usage do you put it through on a daily basis, if you don't mind?

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All I can talk about is my experience so far so:

I have the Lumia 930, LG G3, Galaxy S5 and IPhone 5s and out of all these phones I have been leaning more towards the Lumia 930. Its the phone I grab every time before going out the door....

I havn't had any purple screen issues with my phone and i think the viewing angles are really good, mine gets hot at times when playing games but so does all my other phones I have and it isn't really any problems. My 930 battery drained quite quick initially however after about 4 charges I am easily getting a full day out of the phone again this isn't a problem as I charge my phones over night anyway, keyboard is really good with the swift style keyboard dont understand the comment about sluggish keyboard!! there is a rattle but I think its the camera sensor IOS just like the 1020 but to be honest its hardly noticeable.

I am really, really chuffed i bought the Lumia 930, I am getting to grips with the camera and to be honest most of the photos I take I am really impressed with, the design is superb and deffo a head turner (if you have the green version like mine or the orange version) it just looks fantastic. I have used plenty of phones in the past and end up selling them as i get bored quite quick but i can honestly say i am really liking this phone, its a keeper......

What do other people think ????

PS the Windows OS is superb also, just a slight lack of Apps but deffo getting better.................:p
I got the 930, 1520 and iPhone 5s and am switching every day depending on my mood.
All I can say is that the 5s is a fine piece of hardware+software and I find myself switching back to the 5s quite a lot. Perhaps its the 1-hand-operating size of the 5s thats most important to me.

The 930 and WP 8.1 are great, but still not up when it comes to hardware and software compared to IOS.
The 1520 is huge but has a ?SD-card slot which is of great value.

NEVER drop an unprotected Lumia on concrete...my 930 is pretty damaged and the back cover wont fit like before anylonger. I was lucky that the screen didn't break. This happened to a friend of mine and repair costs are hilarious at Nokia. Got a leather flip case now ;).
The same happened to my 5s and besides some tiny cuts on the silver frame its all good.

What I really love on the Lumias are the stereo/dolby microphones which a great for taping concerts.

Torn.... :)

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with my windows phone. Over the years I've used android and iPhone but now I'm unlikely to leave the windows phone. I love how easily everything syncs with my other windows devices (surface and PC) and I love the new 8.1.

I've had no issues at all running the preview on my HTC 8x. It doesn't get hot, battery life is usually around 20hrs of moderate use. I've also never experienced rattly buttons and my keyboard is fast to respond.

It now has notifications and swipe to type that you wanted. The only thing I wish was for more apps but they're coming (I'm hopeful).

"they're coming" is a term I've heard a million times since 3 years ago. FYI, they DO come, but they take a helluva long time. WP has been updated numerous times also since the transition from WP7 to WP8, and almost 8.1 (not DP), but the only things I really noticed is the addition of Cortana. The rest is basically the same.

Everything is just too slow. They rushed out Skype and never fixed it. I still can't share files with Skype.
App count is fine there is everything I need but quality is another story.

TheOzgun

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm totally frustrated. I had my 925 stolen, and I switched to 930 but it's sheer disappointment:

Screen purple tint - check
grey blacks - check
bad viewing angle - not too bad, but I think 925 was better
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it - check, not egg frying hot, but hot.
not the best battery life - arguable, but i'm used to it, thanks to my 925
sluggish keyboard - can't say so, it's the same.
rattly volume buttons - check

I'll post some pictures and videos about the issue I'm having.

musik103

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I was also a bit concerned when reading some comments on here on the 930 but other than it getting a bit hot when running intensive tasks (graphics heavy generally), I've had no such problems. Coming from a 920 where, though generally reliable, it used to just battery drain randomly, the 930 has been brilliant so far. I used to have to reset my phone to stop the drain after intense usage (glad those days are gone)!

Definitely glad to have upgraded!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte