I really want one ... BUT so many issues!?

Karl Whitfield

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
My last Windows Phone shipped with WP 7.8 and I can see a massive difference in the OS and its features. Loving 8.1!

Before I bought my 930 I had a Nexus 4 running KitKat. So far I've not missed anything from Android.

The handset feels like it's of premium build. It looks great. To quote a relative today "I don't like Windows Phone but the screen [quality] is stunning." - I'm inclined to agree.

Audio has depth and clarity it.

Really happy with my Lumia 930, great performance and no issues to report! Battery lasted from full charge at 9am until now with a bit more left. No purple hue and no heat problems

jm4cc

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Good news Karl :)
Out of interest where are you located and is it sim free?

My last Windows Phone shipped with WP 7.8 and I can see a massive difference in the OS and its features. Loving 8.1!

Before I bought my 930 I had a Nexus 4 running KitKat. So far I've not missed anything from Android.

The handset feels like it's of premium build. It looks great. To quote a relative today "I don't like Windows Phone but the screen [quality] is stunning." - I'm inclined to agree.

Audio has depth and clarity it.

Really happy with my Lumia 930, great performance and no issues to report! Battery lasted from full charge at 9am until now with a bit more left. No purple hue and no heat problems

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
Well i really love Windows o/s, the smoothness is second to none so please talk me into buying a 930 lol

Over the years i have had a few different windows phones and my last was a lumia 1520 but i had to get rid of it within 1 week as no notifications and no keyboard swype killed it for me (also the screen registering swipes as taps etc)
I said to myself at the time if this had notifications and swype i could ditch android for good!
Android is ok but just too messy and overly complicated in my opinion, The app store is great obviously but after the initial wow of so many apps i just end up having a small handful that i use anyway!
iPhone well been there done that, Just not my thing although iPads are great for easy surfing in bed etc!

Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
grey blacks
bad viewing angle
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
not the best battery life
sluggish keyboard
rattly volume buttons
etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?

You have a list of needs right? if no then doesn't matter what you get on whatever platform. If you have a list then look at all 3 platforms and tick off that list from OS perspective then Apps then Hardware. You will be confident in YOUR choice. Asking others will only get you their own skewed opinions and you may end up with something that is completely inappropriate for your life and needs.

My own thoughts on 930? bah its 12 month old technology and from Nokia whom MS are integrating and will have a different philosophy with their own devices which will be out next year, anything out this year is also Nokia pipeline, wont be amazing MS tech and tight OS integration. But hey whatever makes you PRODUCTIVE wins whatever that device is.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
grey blacks
bad viewing angle
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
not the best battery life
sluggish keyboard
rattly volume buttons
etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?

I'm not talking you into buying it because honestly I have one and I'm not yet sure if I won't return to the 920.
HOWEVER,I should like to comment with my experience, regarding the list of "problems" you wrote.

Screen purple tint -> This is definitely there and it's in ALL phones. I've checked a few today in different stores and they all had the same problem.

grey blacks -> Not sure what this is supposed to be but the blacks on my 930 are black. And where the menus should be dark grey, they are dark grey.

bad viewing angle -> This is something that really gets on my nerves and that's why I never read comments on Sony's phones. Do you happen to look at the phone from the side? No, you do not. The viewing angles on the 930 are good. Honestly, I would even appreciate it they weren't that good as the person next to me has no business in seeing what I'm doing on my phone.

gets so hot you can fry an egg on it -> true though this only happened to me ONCE and it was during the process of restoring from a back-up. It gets a bit warm, yes, but all Lumias do.

not the best battery life -> This is true. I'm getting the exact same battery life I got on the 920.

sluggish keyboard -> have no problems here and the keyboard is not sluggish at all.

rattly volume buttons -> not my unit. The buttons are tight and firm.

Also, the camera is a huge disappointment, SPECIALLY in low light. If you take a lot of photos in poorly lit conditions, avoid the 930. It's not that the photos don't get lit...it's that the algorithms are all messed up and the pictures come out awfully grainy and with the colours a bit distorted. This is solved via firmware, though. Sony had the exact same problem with the Z1 upon launch and they fixed it pretty quickly. However you may want to take into consideration you're not dealing with Sony here but Microsoft...and Microsoft is not known for being particularly fast, specially when it comes to updating stuff.

Skanic

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia 930(Green)
Ive had so far zero of the issues you have listed.
Battery life is great it has been 1 day and 15 hours since the last time i charged my phone and its at 20% as i am posting.
I have done a lot of twitter,mytube,whatsapp,camera SMS, Ringing done. i would say medium usage i didn't game on it as i only game on my PC at home.
I love the 5" screen and the OLED. and finally 32 GB instead of the 16GB (Lumia 925)

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's really bizzaire but since I went on 8.1 on my 1520 the battery was draining. Now after a week I am getting around 8 hours heavy usage on it. Don't play games but always on the net. And it seems NFC is making my battery last longer for some strange reason. Heat issues if playing demanding games like FIFA or GTA but games like angry birds....nope...no heat. Now have swipe keyboard and notification. Do your self a favour and get the Lumia from Littlewoods or Woolworths online. Buy now pay in 12 months time with no interest if you pay it off in a year. Also got a magnetic case of eBay with a leather look that protects front and back of phone for under five pounds

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My answer to your concerns are written point by point, I have had it for 4 days now:

Screen purple tint - yes slightly purplish, especially when compared to my old, certainly not a problem at all coz it's not THAT purplish. I think some others had worse ones than mine so I am probably lucky (or they are unlucky). I think it's probably due to the colours being so vibrant.

grey blacks - are you kidding me? the black is blacker than my 920 and I think cannot be more black than that to be honest.

bad viewing angle - again, are you kidding me? it's so eye popping and vibrant and the viewing angles are better than my 920.

gets so hot you can fry an egg on it - yes for others, but again, I am really lucky I think coz mine hardly get hot. My old 920 was really hot when using GPS navigation for more than half hour but so far my 930 has been used on many occasions to navigate and it didn't get uncomfortable at all. Out of paranoia, I find myself trying to find out whether it's hot or not (which really means it is NOT noticeably hotter in most occasions).

not the best battery life - if your device gets hot, then somethings wrong with the battery. My battery life is AMAZING. I am experimenting with the battery in many ways as we speak and will post it up in my thread that I created to review the device. Suffice to say that so far with 3g/4g, bluetooth, wifi, NFC enabled the whole day and used it to browse for ~2 hours or more a day and it's still running with more than enough battery at the end of the day. Can iPhone or android do that? I doubt.

sluggish keyboard - not really the keyboard in my opinion, more of the screen sensitivitiy maybe? it's slightly sluggish on double tap to wake, otherwise, i had no problem swiping away on the keyboard. The swiping is at least on par with Swype on Android. At least on par.

rattly volume buttons - not my experience. Mine is perfect. The only rattly bit will be the camera button, but i think it's because the camera button is a two level button (as in press slightly for focus, press all the way for capture).

Tell me if there are any other issues you are worried about and I might be able to address them.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all
Think i will just go ahead and order one from Amazon UK when in stock on Monday.
The good thing with Amazon is super easy returns should there be a problem.
On a side note as this is essentially a Lumia Icon i take it Lumia icon cases will fit it perfectly? really like the Incipio DualPro Case for Nokia Lumia Icon :)

@Coreldan i know what your mean when you say "You will never get yourself a new phone if you always skip out on buying based on complaints on forums"
But allot of people simply don't notice problems even though they do exist (wish i was a bit more like that myself lol)
After buying an iPhone 4 outright on release a few years ago it put me right of buying brand new phones.. That thing was terrible with the worst antenna issues ever, All iPhone 4's had the problem but look how many million they sold and the amount of people that didn't complain about poor signal or completely cutting the signal off just by holding it and bridging the gap on the antenna.

Cheers all
James

I would have said don't buy one. I'm very disappointed with mine. Only because the camera is totally rubbish in low light conditions compared to the 920. The rest of the phone is ok, but I wish I never swapped my 920 for this because it's only a tiny improvement and a bigger screen. It's not faster, menus still lags etc. The AMOLED screen gets a little eye straining to stare at some times.

As for the antennas, the gaps are at the top and the bottom where the phone is not held, so there is nothing to worry about there. I would not buy a case for this, it will hold in the heat and probably ruin the battery. The case will probably melt if you used Waze GPS lol

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
the things I can agree with is the purple tint which can be fixed with a firmware update from Nokia and the overheating issue also is a problem, that will likely be fixed with a firmware update too.

As for everything else, including battery life, its excellent.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
the things I can agree with is the purple tint which can be fixed with a firmware update from Nokia and the overheating issue also is a problem, that will likely be fixed with a firmware update too.

As for everything else, including battery life, its excellent.

The purple tint can be fixed in the settings. Settings > Display > Colour Profile > adjust. Then slide the middle slider all the way to the left. Done.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Surely that's software related as its not consistent from boot menu to os loaded?

lol this argument goes all the way back to the n8 purple tint n8 purple tint - Bing

for me it was a big issue and it sounds very similar to what I am hearing about the 930 screen but at least you can cure it a bit with Lumia screen profile which obviously Symbian and the n8 never had

the n8 never received a firmware update to fix the screen despite massive reports from all over the world so don't hold tight on a firmware fix as it could be a bad quality screen that has problems displaying the right amount of light to pixels on low power mode hence the purple tint being more obvious on the sort of screens that would require less power (like when the screen dims) perhaps this is another reason for no glance as the n8 showed the purple problem on the glance type sleep screen the most and in the end to hide the problem nokia changed the standby clock so it didn't show up so bad ...... perhaps that's me being sceptical but the way they treated the n8 purple tint problem left a bad taste in my mouth :-/

it seems like a badly calibrated screen to me that has problems displaying the grey scale properly and instead makes some shades of grey purple and it varies how bad from phone to phone and after the n8 saga that plagued the nokia discussion forums , daily mobile , nokia users forums etc I thought nokia had learnt about the amoled tech and this purple tint was a thing of the past :-/

lets hope it gets fixed for you 930 users though , if it makes you feel any better I hear the 900 had this problem at launch and nokia updated the firmware to fix the issue so maybe its more easily fixed on windows phone then Symbian phones ;-)

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My N8 never had the purple tint, but I also recall that it seemed like quite a widespread problem.

I was even actively visiting GSMArena at the time and some people said I was just a blind Nokia ****** that denied any problems in my phone cos I didnt want to admit them, but I really just had zero problems with the phone. I never denied the existance of those problems in general though :p

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Also, the camera is a huge disappointment, SPECIALLY in low light. If you take a lot of photos in poorly lit conditions, avoid the 930. It's not that the photos don't get lit...it's that the algorithms are all messed up and the pictures come out awfully grainy and with the colours a bit distorted.

This is my biggest concern.. low light and no-flash photography...... I now have doubts about getting a 930.
Arrgh!!

[Using a 920, waiting for 8.1/Cyan to hit my country]

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
looking at phones these days, people are very impressed by numbers, but they sometimes forget some of the technologies that go hand in hand with the numbers, and ill give some example.

People might look at a 930 and say well, its a 1080p display like the HTC m8, or a 20mp like the sony Z1/2. and say well the other have more features they must be better.

But what they fail to see, is that the Nokia 1080p diplay has clear black technology, and i can swear that when i had my Lumia 800, i used to see floating words when im in bed at night, because the blacks are sooo black you cant see them nor the phone. then when you are out in the sun, the unti-reflectant in the screen is amazing, the sunlight readability is way beyond others.

And when it comes to the 20mp shooter, Zeiss is not just a normal lens, they are one of the best. and they are very expensive, and they add up very well to the overall experience.

The microphones are not just normal mics. they can record two levels of sound at once giving a wider range, which leads to less noise, and if you want to see it in real. just ask someone with a competitor product to send you a voice recording over whatsapp. maybe a song with some bass. and then send him one from you Nokia and notice the astonishing difference.

Numbers are cool. but they are only half the story.

Oh, BTW ill be a 930 owner within a week, inshalla.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss