Android user tempted to move to Windows Phone

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
A 520 is a good cheap WP to test out and see if you like the OS. I wouldn't sign a contract for it, buy it used for dirt cheap and if you like WP get a higher end model, my 2 cents.
I agree about testing it out first. You should be able to find a 520 in the $40 to $70 range. Do not pay more. Just keep in mind that this is a budget phone. It will be missing some features such as front camera, flash, and glance. It will also not run a few select apps (mostly games) due to RAM limitation. With these in mind you can see if you if you like WP for a small investment before you put down a good amount on a higher end phone.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree test the waters and see if you can find replacements for your apps on windows phone.

I left android and want to go back as well as I want to stay ... Windows phone needs to mature some in my eyes but good thing is its loveable and unique. That and some of the replacement apps for windows phone are better than official ones in android, 6tag is awesome... Plus others . ... So I'm in a torn state that and the Lumia 930 is the device to get.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Also if you are a heavy google services user like me it will be hard to adjust to not using google services as seamless at all.
Microsoft offers some great services in lieu of google. When I switched from android to Microsoft I moved the whole shebang over and never looked back. :) I love my Windows phones and all my Microsoft services.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone! I am currently using Huawei Ascend G300 with Android 2.3 and its so bad (slow, laggy, app crashing). Given my bad experience with this phone I decided to buy myself a new phone (hopefully Windows Phone as I read that they are quite the performers).

I was wondering if you could tell me the good and the bad of this phone? The amount of RAM in L520 worries me, will it be enough for smooth WP experience? I dont want to be stuck with "another" Huawei Ascend G300 if you know what I mean :) Does Lumia 520 have same Windows Phone functions as its stronger brethren (L920+) or its a stripped/crippled model/version?

I use my phone for browsing, reading forums with tapatalk, chatting with viber and music listening with headphones, how does it fare with things like that? Is the audio quality good with a better aftermarket headphones? Thanks in advance! :)

I own a 625 (which has 512 MB RAM) before and now I have the 1520 and Xiaomi Mi 3. What I can say is that there are also bugs and crashes on the WP OS. Even iPhones have it. The programmers are not that perfect and so you should live with it.

In terms of lag, I can say that WP 8 hides it very well with their 512-MB devices. I've seen a lot of low-end Android phones and tablets (because people ask me for help to improve their devices) and they're all laggy! I have yet to see a Moto G and a Moto E in person. During rare occasions though that I see any one with a 520, 630, I am amazed and approved of WP's lack of lag.

A side note for Viber though - it is a huge battery hog. When I had that app on my 625, I didn't know it was since my phone had been managing to keep up during a whole day with moderate to heavy usage. Little did I knew that phone should have been keeping up with me for two days!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
here's the bottom line:
for maximum value (greatest amount of features at the lowest prices) go for the Lumia 920.
if you think that device is too thick/heavy, you can get a Lumia 925 but do note that by going with 925 you lose a few features compared to 920.
personally, I'd get the venerable Lumia 920 and call it a day :)
as for browsing apps, here's a link to the WP Store
Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Twisted Fate

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree about testing it out first. You should be able to find a 520 in the $40 to $70 range. Do not pay more. Just keep in mind that this is a budget phone. It will be missing some features such as front camera, flash, and glance. It will also not run a few select apps (mostly games) due to RAM limitation. With these in mind you can see if you if you like WP for a small investment before you put down a good amount on a higher end phone.

Not a bad idea, only Lumia 520 in my country costs 110$-135$ new on ads, ~163$ new in retail... :D Lumia 720 for example is 280$ in retail, 925 is 550$..

Also if you are a heavy google services user like me it will be hard to adjust to not using google services as seamless at all.

I am not really tied to them, mostly on my phone I use Maps and very very rarely Gmail, Hangouts and G+ while on my computer I use them more often.

K Silcox:2666372 said:
Microsoft offers some great services in lieu of google. When I switched from android to Microsoft I moved the whole shebang over and never looked back. :) I love my Windows phones and all my Microsoft services.

Could you name a few? :)

A side note for Viber though - it is a huge battery hog. When I had that app on my 625, I didn't know it was since my phone had been managing to keep up during a whole day with moderate to heavy usage. Little did I knew that phone should have been keeping up with me for two days!

Yikes! I hope they fix that soon, I use Viber on a daily basis :(

here's the bottom line:
for maximum value (greatest amount of features at the lowest prices) go for the Lumia 920.
if you think that device is too thick/heavy, you can get a Lumia 925 but do note that by going with 925 you lose a few features compared to 920.

What kind of features?

Said Ali

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone is great. It links all your Skype contacts, Facebook contacts, calender, other Microsoft accounts into one Main Microsoft accounts, grants easy access to Onedrive, (any picture you take can be stored there, only to be viewed by you). provides easy backup, and if at anytime you get a new windows phone, everything is easily transferable, through apps and its backup features

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The only thing that might annoy you coming from a high end android or fast android device is the Resuming / refreshing thing some apps do which i learned is not MS fault its the app developers being lazy.

Windows Phone is good for people who want/are
1) don't like customization (dig up in the phones OS and modify it over clock root etc)
2) a unique experience that's smooth
3) Not apps dependant
4) Microsoft services dependant
5) Goodish battery life
6) Excellent beautiful apps

ppl add more

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that might annoy you coming from a high end android or fast android device is the Resuming / refreshing thing some apps do which i learned is not MS fault its the app developers being lazy.
e

I think the refreshing/resuming thing you're describing is present only on WP 8 devices. In WP 8.1, I can switch from different apps without refreshing information (ex. IE 11).

A warning for the OP: since you're coming from Android, getting used to WP 8 is very difficult AT FIRST. Consider me a mild geek and have experienced rooting Android devices, but WP was really hard to crack during the first time I used it. But after getting used to it, you'll feel that most native apps and features on WP (especially on Lumias) are very efficient (e.g. People Hub, Email app where you can link different emails, pinning items, contacts, etc on Start screen). Plus, my Calendar, Contacts and email sync seamlessly with my laptop.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure what's missing from Google services that Windows Phone hasn't covered. Got any examples?

My experience is that I use OneDrive more than Drive, respect Here Maps and Drive+ more than Google Maps now, Cortana has me relying on her and I could not be bothered with Google Now... All else integrates and syncs: Contacts, Calendar, Email. I have Google set as my search default... What am I missing?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
What kind of features?
All of the headline features of Windows Phone are supported on the Lumia 920. (except for the few features only supported by the newer chipsets from the x30 series)
things such as puremotion HD+, high resolution touch screen, clearblack polarizer, dolby headphone, gorilla glass 2, dual-band wifi, pureview camera, wireless charging, and most importantly 1 GB RAM and 32 GB storage.
the 925 lacks wireless charging and only has 16 GB storage.

how much is a 920 for you?

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think the refreshing/resuming thing you're describing is present only on WP 8 devices. In WP 8.1, I can switch from different apps without refreshing information (ex. IE 11).

A warning for the OP: since you're coming from Android, getting used to WP 8 is very difficult AT FIRST. Consider me a mild geek and have experienced rooting Android devices, but WP was really hard to crack during the first time I used it. But after getting used to it, you'll feel that most native apps and features on WP (especially on Lumias) are very efficient (e.g. People Hub, Email app where you can link different emails, pinning items, contacts, etc on Start screen). Plus, my Calendar, Contacts and email sync seamlessly with my laptop.

true but i get the refresh / resuming
i guess its force of habit from using android i tend to kill app apps by using the back button till they are closed or using the multi task menu .....

im a very tech savy so moding android im used to as well i some how prefer a closed OS like BB10 or WP its open enough to play with but not to the extent as android. only thing i really miss is being able to swap out keyboards. i miss fleksy and swift-key.

for a stock keyboard windows phone's one is good.

Twisted Fate

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
All of the headline features of Windows Phone are supported on the Lumia 920. (except for the few features only supported by the newer chipsets from the x30 series)
things such as puremotion HD+, high resolution touch screen, clearblack polarizer, dolby headphone, gorilla glass 2, dual-band wifi, pureview camera, wireless charging, and most importantly 1 GB RAM and 32 GB storage.
the 925 lacks wireless charging and only has 16 GB storage.

how much is a 920 for you?

Sorry for the late reply, Lumia 920 is nowhere to be found in my country and those that do appear on ads are used for a few months. They usually cost about 270$. Lumia 925 can be found for about 340$ on ads, however its very very difficult and they are 99% of the time without warranty and/or used. There is an option to buy it from stores that do not import them legally, they only come with stores 2 year warranty and not from the official importer.

I got my 2 year postpaid voice/data plan few days ago from a new carrier and I am now stuck with my old phone which is locked to other carrier, I have to get a new phone quick but I cant find anything good on ads :( Might as well bite the bullet and get new 520 from those "wild" stores or even 925 if I want to risk it >.<

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05