Warning to prospective buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well i haven't found it comfortable..as someone who owned and used the HTC M7, nexus 4 and an S4 they where way more light and comfortable.

Typical WP users have to resort to name calling or slamming someone who finds fault with their products.

Maybe I'm just used to my 10 foot dong but I find the 930 light for its size.

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The comment was meant tongue in cheek. It's a pity you haven't found it comfortable compared to an android phone but I know plenty females with smaller hands who use 1020's as their daily drivers and don't have any problem with them.

My Apologies if you thought I was slamming anyone who finds a fault with the product but considering I have an iPhone 5s and a GS5 as well i'm not your typical WP user!

the 930 is a great phone, IMO top 3 in terms of design (iPhone 5s and HTC M8 the other 2) just let down by its weight and thickness.

If it was the same weight/thickness of the One M8 i would be much happier with it. I would be happy to lose wireless charging, even though it is cool, to shave the size of it.

In all honesty its about 90% close to being almost perfect in terms of HW and design..just let down again

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
the 930 is a great phone, IMO top 3 in terms of design (iPhone 5s and HTC M8 the other 2) just let down by its weight and thickness.

If it was the same weight/thickness of the One M8 i would be much happier with it. I would be happy to lose wireless charging, even though it is cool, to shave the size of it.

In all honesty its about 90% close to being almost perfect in terms of HW and design..just let down again

That's just your opinion though. If it was 130g or so, I wouldn't have even bought it. For me weight plays a massive role in how high quality the device feels. I guess it could be slimmer, but at no point have I thought "hey, this is thick". It feels just normal to me, but then again I come from a 920 :p

So at least if it was 130-140g, it would be a let down for me. I'm glad Nokia isn't so dead set on low weight, cos like.. ALL other flagships are that light and I don't want them. Before I bought the 930 I seriously considered a Sony Xperia Z2, although it was a bit too big for my taste, it's weight was just about the minimum I accept, 163g. Anything less than that starts to feel like a toy at these sizes. I mean my N8 was 3,5" and "only" 130g or so, but that was OK cos it's porportionate to the size. That size on a 5" device or more feels like a Fisher Price toy.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
With due respect, you don't believe that, do you? Microsoft never needed hardware to make OSs work well. They spent 7 billions because they had no other choice. It was either that or watch Nokia - the sole actor in the WP play - go Android.

At any rate, I was thinking about overall quality standards at least on Lumia phones. But yeah, I actually only bought the 930 because it's Nokia's last phone. No other reason, really. Which is why all this frustration with it will probably lead me to replace it that soon. I didn't buy it because I think it's the last coke in the desert. =P

But yes, let's see what Microsoft does, what happens what doesn't. I'm European so I don't have contracts with anyone. I change my phone whenever I please. It's a freedom I will never abdicate precisely because of things like these.

There is not a company in the world that would spend 7 billion because they had no choice. Its exactly because they had a choice that they did. Its not clear cut black and white and many factors in place for them to make that decision, yes the fear factor from Android however Elop the MS man would not have let that happen. Fact is he drove the company into the ground and MS snapped it up. MS had/have the surface phone as a backup and we may see that released next year. MS have never needed hardware for OS before correct. Today that is no longer the case, they are doing what Apple have done very successfully, control both hardware and software with the added benefit of allowing other OEM's to use the OS as well. Good times are coming, im also European and have been in 24 month contracts but maybe go sim only next time.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The price. It's not about the phone, it certainly performes very well, it's about the hardware components that are pretty old and should therefore be cheaper.

The hardware components are not that old to begin with. Sure its 1 years old in tech life (which is an eternity) but the successor (which is more like a stopgap) SoC is actually just an overclocked version of it. Theres barely anything different between the snapdragon 800 and 801 other than clockspeed. The true sort of successor is the 805 and its just starting to make its way to a handful of units. Someone else put it nicely, the 801 exists just so that no one will get bored of the snapdragon before the 805 since there is pretty much nothing between the 800 release and the 805 release. The hardware seems to be moving at a 6month cycle (much like graphics cards did on the PC) and that makes for very rapid obsoletion. Your handset will be outdated as soon as you purchase it. Besides the 800 series is no slouch, the best thing about high end chipsets is that they'll be easily capable of handling things for a couple years before they'd be considered slow.

In terms of pricing, it should be lower. All flagships pretty much cost the same anyway so a high price is expected and im not expecting Nexus 5 pricing (which is the lowest of all the android flagships, it undercuts everything). But the Lumia is missing features and gimmicks that the android competition has. It should be price aligned with the predecessors to the current android flagships (which seems to cost about 100-150 dollars more). It would also make it more attractive, outside of some areas it seems to cost MORE than the current android flagships....

Weight: You guys who have your thin androids with cases...you should measure how much it weighs with those cases on. The handsets themselves may be featherweights but a case adds a fair bit of heft ad thickness to it.....If the 930 is uncomfortable to hold, its probably more for the shape without a case than it is for the heft. My dad has a Galaxy S4, he put a case on it so its a little thicker (its still pretty light). My sister has a Nexus 5, she put a case on it. My friend has an HTC One M7 (last years)....he put a case on it. It was already a bit more heavy than the others cuz its made of metal. But its also much thicker now cuz of the case. My GF has an iPhone 5, it just feels damn small, she has a case on it. I never put a case on my 710. I had a case on my optimus 7 long ago but took it off when it started acting up and I never put it back on (it was actually too thick with it on). With the case, your hands are gripping rubber and now you're not feeling the phone but the softness of the rubber which could be more comfortable cuz its softer.

Also I must add, a lot of perceived thickness and comfort comes from the edges of the device and how it is shaped. I have a Lumia 710. I think its thicker than everything mentioned in this thread (its like 12mm thick ) but it doesn't feel that way because all that thickness comes at the middle of the back of the devices, and it tapers towards the edges (the edges themselves are like 5mm). The Lumia 930 is pretty much a rectangular slab much like the iPhone with 'sharp' edges. The HTC One is similar but thinner. Xperia and galaxy and I think the LG has rounded edges.

In any case, I bought myself a 930. Its pretty much the phone I wanted last year (a 1020 with snapdragon 800) but minus the 41mpx camera lol. Whats coming up on the WP pipeline is a mystery and I really didn't want to keep waiting. You keep waiting you're never going to get what you want because you'll always wait for the next best thing that is just going to be outdated in 6 months anyways.

Last edited:

Jef Delcroix

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, since you switched from a L925 what do you think about the size, one hand usage and weight in comparison with the 925?
I really love my L925 buit always want the newest thing :wink:

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are people really hating on it? I think it's a beautiful phone with an amazing hardware build.

The only problem why I would never have bought it: It was on the market for almost half a year under the name Icon, the SoC is in phones for 9 months that cost almost half as much as the 930. And still, the 930 is priced in the range of current Android high-end devices. It's just too expensive in my eyes.

at least here in Switzerland, it's considerably cheaper than, say, an HTC M8, Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, LG G3 etc. The iPhone 5S costs around 800$, the M8 is about 650$, the Galaxy S5 is about 620$. The Lumia 930 is 560$. That's unlocked, including tax. Provider options with subscriptions are a different issue, but that's hardly Microsoft's fault.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
at least here in Switzerland, it's considerably cheaper than, say, an HTC M8, Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, LG G3 etc. The iPhone 5S costs around 800$, the M8 is about 650$, the Galaxy S5 is about 620$. The Lumia 930 is 560$. That's unlocked, including tax. Provider options with subscriptions are a different issue, but that's hardly Microsoft's fault.

Lumia 930: 542 Franke, Glaxy S5: 589 Franke, HTC One M8: 608 Franke, LG G3: 552 Franke.

Everything from toppreise.ch.

That makes the 930 slightly less expensive, but it features cheaper hardware and a less popular operation system. The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact that features similar hardware costs only 339 Franke after all.

And yes, I realize that I compare the 32 GB Lumia 930 to the 16 GB versions of the competition, however the other phones all feature expandable storage, and a 16 GB SD card costs almost nothing.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 930: 542 Franke, Glaxy S5: 589 Franke, HTC One M8: 608 Franke, LG G3: 552 Franke.

Everything from toppreise.ch.

That makes the 930 slightly less expensive, but it features cheaper hardware and a less popular operation system. The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact that features similar hardware costs only 339 Franke after all.

And yes, I realize that I compare the 32 GB Lumia 930 to the 16 GB versions of the competition, however the other phones all feature expandable storage, and a 16 GB SD card costs almost nothing.

The hardware difference is close to non-existent. The S5 costs more and is extremely cheaply built. The Z1 isn't even made anymore, Sony is just selling off stock. As Sony releases new phones every few months, the Z1 isn't actually an old device. It's just not produced anymore as it has been superseded by the Z2. The oldest of the bunch is the iPhone 5S, which you've conveniently chosen to leave out. I agree, you get the most bang for the buck from the M8 at the moment, but that one has a lousy, two-year old camera and HTC is behind in terms of software updates. The S5 has a lousy build, so does the LG G3 (which also happens to have huge performance issues, just read the reviews on Digitec.ch). I maintain that the 930 actually is priced quite competitively. Also, we're talking about thr initial sales price here - the S5 was much more expensive when it was released a few months ago. And as you correctly pointed out, this is the 16gb version we're talking about here. You'll need to buy a microSD card to achieve the same amount of storage, and memory cards are known to cause performance issues on Android phones, so these aren't an option for many people, despite the phones having card slots.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The hardware difference is close to non-existent. The S5 costs more and is extremely cheaply built. The Z1 isn't even made anymore, Sony is just selling off stock. As Sony releases new phones every few months, the Z1 isn't actually an old device. It's just not produced anymore as it has been superseded by the Z2. The oldest of the bunch is the iPhone 5S, which you've conveniently chosen to leave out. I agree, you get the most bang for the buck from the M8 at the moment, but that one has a lousy, two-year old camera and HTC is behind in terms of software updates. The S5 has a lousy build, so does the LG G3 (which also happens to have huge performance issues, just read the reviews on Digitec.ch). I maintain that the 930 actually is priced quite competitively. Also, we're talking about thr initial sales price here - the S5 was much more expensive when it was released a few months ago. And as you correctly pointed out, this is the 16gb version we're talking about here. You'll need to buy a microSD card to achieve the same amount of storage, and memory cards are known to cause performance issues on Android phones, so these aren't an option for many people, despite the phones having card slots.

Well, let's agree to disagree on this.

Just a few points: The Z1 Compact doesn't actually have a successor yet. The G3's build quality is actually pretty good (it's lying on my desk, I've decided to go for it because I didn't felt like paying the same price for a device that is on the market for over half a year under a different name) and it performs very well. Just read all the reviews in the web. There are enough bad Lumia 930s around that you don't have to focus on the bad LG3s. Just read the good reviews on digitec ;-).

And now you might say, "well, that's your point of view!" and yes it is, and I have made my decision. Even if the Lumia 930 is worth it, and I'm sure it is, it's a beautiful phone, the Snapdragon 800 might even be overkill for Windows Phone that performs just as well on low-budget devices, and the camera is certainly one of the best you can get, I see a problem in pricing.

People who think about buying a new phone will still compare it to current Android high-end devices. As I said before, it has hardware that is comparable to a phone that was released almost a year ago and offers an operation system that is already struggling in market penetration.

A really aggressive price could have brought people to Windows Phone, but this pricing won't. Let's hope I'm wrong, I'd love to buy a high-end Window Phone device with a high market share in a year or two.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Just a few points: The Z1 Compact doesn't actually have a successor yet. The G3's build quality is actually pretty good (it's lying on my desk, I've decided to go for it because I didn't felt like paying the same price for a device that is on the market for over half a year under a different name) and it performs very well. Just read all the reviews in the web. There are enough bad Lumia 930s around that you don't have to focus on the bad LG3s. Just read the good reviews on digitec ;-).

And now you might say, "well, that's your point of view!" and yes it is, and I have made my decision. Even if the Lumia 930 is worth it, and I'm sure it is, it's a beautiful phone, the Snapdragon 800 might even be overkill for Windows Phone that performs just as well on low-budget devices, and the camera is certainly one of the best you can get, I see a problem in pricing.

People who think about buying a new phone will still compare it to current Android high-end devices. As I said before, it has hardware that is comparable to a phone that was released almost a year ago and offers an operation system that is already struggling in market penetration.

A really aggressive price could have brought people to Windows Phone, but this pricing won't. Let's hope I'm wrong, I'd love to buy a high-end Window Phone device with a high market share in a year or two.

The price is actually what's keeping me from replacing my 1520 with it right now.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not agreeing on anything here. The Z1 compact isn't a flagship phone and has a considerably smaller screen. Let's compare apples with apples here.

Good luck with the G3 - from what I've heard and seen it's one laggy bas***d with massive software issues (random shutdowns etc.) and lousy camera performance in low light.

As for the market share: I'm certainly not a Microsoft zealot (except from the phone, almost every piece of IT equipment in our home is made by Apple), but there's no denying that the market share has improved considerably, especially in Europe, where it's reached the 10% limit - is it comparable to Android? Nope. Does it have to be? I don't think so. It's enough to attract developer interest, that's good enough for me.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not agreeing on anything here.

You don't need to be so passive aggressive here, I thought we are having a good discussion. It doesn't seem so.

I thought I made clear that I don't want to imply you made a bad decision with buying a 930. I understand you would feel attacked then and want to give it all back with your comments about the phone I decided to buy. (Good job on quoting the issues with camera and the random shut down I mentioned in this forum, things that are most likely only a fix away. Would you like to know about the issues I had with all my Windows Phone devices?)

It doesn't matter whether you understand my worries or not, the future will tell. For the moment I can sit comfortably on the side, enjoying the SRF, Postfinance and Meteoswiss apps, can access Cisco VPN and just observe if Windows Phone will get those apps and features or not.

Those are different priorities than you seem to have, and I am happy for you being happy with your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa