What I think the Nokia Lumia 530 is all about...

Asharon Baltazar

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
What Nokia models do the Nokia Lumia 530 and 630 represent? They look nothing like their predecessors and they have all new designs and don't take any cues from last year's model. I'm guessing that Nokia (or Microsoft) put each one of these models one step back. The Lumia 630 is the predecessor of the Lumia 520 and the Lumia 530 is the predecessor of a 420, if there was such thing. I mean, if you look at this carefully they all do seem to fit in in the category. The Lumia 630 is the perfect predecessor for the Lumia 520. A bigger and better screen (with ClearBlack tech), a faster processor, a SensorCore, natively runs Windows Phone 8.1 (does anyone have any lag problems with this phone?) apart from the usual array of sensors that are missing, it's actually not a bad upgrade.
Again, I think the Microsoft team just stuck the Lumia line one step back to make room for better budget and flagship models. Does anyone agree?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe the 530 is a replacement for the 520, not a upgrade. People who own 520's are not going to buy a 530. I have two as backup to my 820 and my wife's 925. The 530 is for people who do not have a smartphone yet and might want to try one but not put out a lot of money. I doubt if anyone who alredy owns a smartphone is going to change to a 530 no matter who makes the phone they have now. The biggest problem with other people who have starter smartphones is they really don't want to change the OS they already have. They know what they have and if they are going to go from a starter smartphone to another starter smartphone with a different OS, the new phone better be better. Not as good; but better or why change. Going to have to be in the 60$/75$ range to be successfull. Hell you can get the 635 from ATT for 99$.

anon(8800827)

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I pretty much aggree. I voiced my opinion in this article:New Lumia 530 promo videos compare it to competing Android phones | Windows Phone Central
Here's what I wrote:
Now that we've seen what the 530 is all about, I don't think Daniel or anyone else will be trying to defend it as a successor to the 520. I think it is now more clear that this also applies to to the defense of the 630 against 620. At the launch of the 530, the 520 beats it basically in all areas, both specifications and price, and I'm talking current price for both devices.
It is pretty clear that the currently announced/released low-end x30 series Lumias are not really successors to the x20 devices specifications wise. Now I'm not saying these are bad devices, but the naming choice is quite bad, because to peaople, who follow the tech news it would imply that they are supposed to be successors, although the specifications negate this. I think it would have been smarter for them to introduce different naming for these devices like 330 and 430, perhaps, which should also be reflected in price. Both from the price and specifications (diminished feature set) aspects, these new lumias are very weird for consumers if we compare them to previous gen devices that have similar nomenclature.
Some people argue that people who will purchase devices at these price points aren't going to look at or care about the specifications, although it is not the case in many emerging parts of the world where the people have lower income but aren't necesserily less tech oriented, like India, for example.
As far as I can see, the dual-sim capability for the variants is the only factor that might be considered as an advantage to the new phones for those that need this capability.
As it stands the 530 at its launch will be priced a bit more than the what the 520 is currently going for. I hope people won't make the mistake to go for the new phones just because of the more recent release.
I also hope that a Microsoft will release a mid-ranger that could possibly be a L730 with some hardware upgrades over previous gen. Judging from the price points of the currently released new Lumias, a phone like that would probably go somewhere around for what was the launch price of the 520. If it had 1 gb ram, now that would be a upgrade, but seeing the new 530, and 630 I'm worried about what specs such a device will actually have. Currently there are no upgrades for 520 and 620 owners for the price points they bought their phones for. I still like my 520, but as both the volume keys and the power key stopped working within a months time, I'm in need of an upgrade.

simon 4

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Er no its alot lot faster than the 520 screen is as good brighter in fact. Camera just as good but better in every other respect and cheaper!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa