Is it worth it, Nokia Lumia 1520 ?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
you get 1080p screen. 20mp camera. A massive 3000mah battery. 2GB ram so every single app is available in the store. Snapdragon 800 so everything works flawlessly. Also it's the only high end windows phone with and sd card to expand your storage so yes,

Get it now, it's the best windows phone now with they cyan update.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It does look big but when it arrived I was like.. "that was it?". It really feels great on the hand and I was expecting bigger.

PS. My 5'2 mom with small hands loves the phone and thinks this is the right size. Unless you wear skinny jeans, size wouldn't bother you.

As for the specs, you get the same specs of the 930 plus a 3400 mAh battery and a micro SD card slot.

If the 1520 were to be upgraded this year, I seriously doubt it would be a huge spec bump as well.

IMHO the screen is better than the 930. The 1520 uses an IPS LCD and the 930 uses an OLED screen. As an amateur photographer I prefer the LCD.

As sated above if you want LTE on TMO you need the RM 938. The rumoured 1525 is supposed to be available for TMO and reportedly will also feature a slight spec jump to the Snapdragon 801 processor. I hope they keep the same screen tech though.

Enoka Ahsei

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Damn this phone. Had it for 3 months on 8.1 dev prev and my wife thinks i should have married it. Yes it was big at first but every thing else now is so hard to use. Love wp. Came from android loved the s2 then s3 going for s5 but thought ill go back to where it all began lol. Nokia. 1520 best camera social media movie theatre phone i have ever bought. But that's just me. Not too sure bowt the wife though lol.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The 930 screen is OLED, it drains the battery like a Hummer in street driving. I had the ICON, the screen resolution is too high for 5", but it was very vivid.
Although I love the 1520 screen.

IMHO the screen is better than the 930. The 1520 uses an IPS LCD and the 930 uses an OLED screen. As an amateur photographer I prefer the LCD.

As sated above if you want LTE on TMO you need the RM 938. The rumoured 1525 is supposed to be available for TMO and reportedly will also feature a slight spec jump to the Snapdragon 801 processor. I hope they keep the same screen tech though.

GadgetFiend

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Prices Dropped today for the 1520.3 (Not sure about the others). Now I'm even more tempted...although I'm wondering why the reduction? (1525 incoming?)

RealAussie

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I really do like my 1520 it's quite a useful device, but I have to admit I'm beginning to second guess my decision to give up my iPhone for a phone that in Australia doesn't get updated with the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong the 1520 is terrific, I just don't understand why a country like Australia is forced to be so far behind with Windows updates when having an iPhone means being up to date all of the time. (let the flaming begin I suppose)

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Prices Dropped today for the 1520.3 (Not sure about the others). Now I'm even more tempted...although I'm wondering why the reduction? (1525 incoming?)

Thanks for the heads up on the price drop. I email B&H this morning and got a refund of the difference I paid for it since my 30 days runs out on Aug 3. Better deal got sweeter. Big thanks!!

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
My concern is whether it will get future update I mean WP 9 especially because it has hardware buttons, I dont want to invest so much if it will get obsolete in an year in terms of software updates. So should I get it or not?

Last edited:

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I understand your concern, and if WP9(Threshold) is important to you, the safe choice would be not to get the 1520.

However, there is still a good chance the 1520 will get the update, because:
1. Its got a powerful Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB RAM which is pretty futureproof
2. Flagships usually get updated
3. It got Windows Phone 8.1 despite having non on-screen buttons

Of course, Microsoft could pull another WP 7.8. Hopefully not.

VS729

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
You ask if,it is a safe bet?? I say it is the best ever bet till date!! (though you may wait for an,upgraded 1520 snapdragon 801 soc or HTC w8).. But right now in the present there no better phone than that...it is future proof for upto 2016 .....it can and will easily take whatever new you throw at it...go for it...plus ignore the comments about having hardware buttons...it has nothing to with the core of the os...as long as the kernel used i.e windows NT is same..
It will get the updates no matter what.....microsoft present customers are its base for future...you cant have a future if abandon your base...plus if at all in any case windows phone 8 devices don't get upgrade to windows phone 9..it will mean that Microsoft will have a new app store all together...and i am sure they are not in a position to have another app,store with no apps...ao don't worry.....it is... the best

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
.as long as the kernel used i.e windows NT is same
thats what I am wary of, cause I heard Win 9 will be significantly different, tho not sure in what aspects precisely, they might change the kernel too... and I dont want to end up with something which will not update to full Win 9 but to something like Win 8.5 etc. the same way MS provided Win 7.8 (the post mango update) to those old devices running Win 7.5.

plus if at all in any case windows phone 8 devices don't get upgrade to windows phone 9..it will mean that Microsoft will have a new app store all together

I dont think so, they can have WP 8 app emulator on WP 9 plus new apps only run on Win 9.

VS729

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
thats what I am wary of, cause I heard Win 9 will be significantly different, tho not sure in what aspects precisely, they might change the kernel too... and I dont want to end up with something which will not update to full Win 9 but to something like Win 8.5 etc. the same way MS provided Win 7.8 (the post mango update) to those old devices running Win 7.5.

I dont think so, they can have WP 8 app emulator on WP 9 plus new apps only run on Win 9.

they cannot change,the kernel,it will go against there "one" plan.... Xbox one, windows 8.1 windows RT windows phone 8 all use NT...that is wy they,left Windows CE in the first place.....keeping the kernel same they will first unify RT and WP...with a uniform experience across all of there devices...(maybe even smart watches) imo..so that you'll always feel you are using windows...

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The 6" screen is the perfect size and super easy to get used to. You can never go back to a lower resolution and/or smaller screen once you get used to the 1520.

Plus everything else that's been posted too.

The 1520 is a great phone, but big is an understatement. HUGE is more like it. I believe it might be the biggest phone out there. I know for sure, it is bigger then the Samsung Note series. It is true that the screen is an awesome 1080p and the specs are great. I just don't think this is a mass appeal device. The Icon or 930 would be, if they were available on all carriers. For me, I wanted a WP with modern specs and this was really the only choice on AT&T. I bet, I'm not alone. Before you buy this device, go to the store and handle it. It will fit in a jeans pocket, but barely.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is a great phone, but big is an understatement. HUGE is more like it. I believe it might be the biggest phone out there. I know for sure, it is bigger then the Samsung Note series. It is true that the screen is an awesome 1080p and the specs are great. I just don't think this is a mass appeal device. The Icon or 930 would be, if they were available on all carriers. For me, I wanted a WP with modern specs and this was really the only choice on AT&T. I bet, I'm not alone. Before you buy this device, go to the store and handle it. It will fit in a jeans pocket, but barely.

The Galaxy Mega 6.3 is larger than it, but the other specs aren't that great.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is great. I'm having problems with the Cyan firmware currently and can't use it right now, my 1020 feels like a toy. Also as a side note, I have an extra 1520 for sale if anyone is interested.

Kniggt

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I damaged my 1020a week ago and insurance sent me a 1520. I can't put it down! I love it. Sure it's bigger, but for me that's actually a plus. The screen on this thing is amazing! I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a smaller screen after using this. My wife teases me about how big it is but she admitted she wishes she had one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte