Took the plunge today

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So i ran out of options. Was in a meeting with 5 hospital supervisors. Was asked to phone another supervisor who was not in the meeting. pulled my phone out of my pocket. dead. My battery only stays charged for about 3 hours at a time now. No good! I went on Verizon website to look for a new phone. Very hesitant because i am on unlimited data. I found out through the rep i was talking to that i could get 6 GB a month for the same price as 2GB because i was coming off of a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I have 14 days to decide if this was a good choice or not...I got the Icon in white and have been on these forums ever since the phone came out. I know i wont be disappointed in the phone, just losing unlimited data scares me a bit. I go through anywhere between 8-12GB a month, only because i am never on wifi at home or work. Does that sound reasonable? and i guess my other question is getting this phone so close to official 8.1 release, should i wait to upgrade to developer preview? or was downgrading to 8.0 only needed for people who downloaded the bit locker? thanks for the comments guys!

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Downgrading to 8.0 was necessary regardless of BitLocker or not. It's possible that the issue might be fixed before the Icon gets an official 8.1 but no one knows for sure. You might not be able to install developer preview anyway. It appears the whole program may have been temporarily halted until they fix the Bitlocker issue.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The Icon is a great phone! I think you will be fine if you use data sense.

I subscribed to Spotify premium so that I can download all my music and not use data. That way I can get by with a 2GB plan.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
See i thought about that too. I know that Mix Radio lets you download offline playlists. I think the only thing i would really use data for is streaming music to and from work. and GPS...i don't know how much data that takes. regardless, i cant wait to get my phone :)

although it's going to suck being on 8.0 until Verizon releases 8.1 and Cyan who knows how long that will take.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
When I got my Icon the first thing I did was install the DP 8.1. I had it on my 928 and just could not go back to 8.0. I will wait for the official fix for the 8.1 Cyan release because I am hearing there is not that big of improvements to constitute going back to 8.0 just to install Cyan like they are doing for ATT users. If I were you I would attempt to install the DP if still avail then wait for the official Cyan update...

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
See i thought about that too. I know that Mix Radio lets you download offline playlists. I think the only thing i would really use data for is streaming music to and from work. and GPS...i don't know how much data that takes. regardless, i cant wait to get my phone :)

although it's going to suck being on 8.0 until Verizon releases 8.1 and Cyan who knows how long that will take.

If you make use of Nokia offline maps very little data at all. Go to map settings and download the area you need and it wont have to use data for maps.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
why do you have to come off that plan cant you just buy a new phone and change sim cards ???

Not without losing unlimited data. My plan doesn't actually change, just my data. The only way i could do that is if i bought the phone off contract ie from Craigslist, or brand new

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
If you make use of Nokia offline maps very little data at all. Go to map settings and download the area you need and it wont have to use data for maps.

Totally for got about that!!!! thank you so much! that is a big selling point to my wife. She wants a new phone, but was afraid of GPS data since she uses it a kit!

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Not without losing unlimited data. My plan doesn't actually change, just my data. The only way i could do that is if i bought the phone off contract ie from Craigslist, or brand new
So whats stopping you doing that ?? I just picked up a new 1520 for a few hundred off ebay & just swapped my sim

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So whats stopping you doing that ?? I just picked up a new 1520 for a few hundred off ebay & just swapped my sim

Because the cheapest I could buy it offline for was $400+. I can't afford that upfront. By using my upgrade I got the phone for $50.00. I would like to have just bought the phone outright.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

If you use 8-12gb a month, and you now have 6gb plan, basic math says Verizon could charge you a lot of money if you use your phone like your using now.

If you can get your unlimited data back on Verizon, bring the phone back, get your money/data plan back and go buy a ICON from another vendor or even a used one (keep your insurance on it if you have it, it's tied to the number, not the phone).

Would hate to see you charged big money from Verizon every month because you wanted/needed a new phone.

I use between 6-12gb myself, Verizon will get my unlimited data over my dead body. I hate worrying about things like this and it just takes the worry away.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
On the data issue, the OP states that he/she uses 6-12 GB a month only because no WiFi configured at home or work. I would expect this figure to go down significantly with WiFi configured. I'm on AT&T and I, too, once had unlimited data but with the throttling and the fact that about 80% of the time I use my phone WiFi is available, it wasn't a big deal to give it up, and I have it configured to automatically connect to any of the available networks I use so it is seamless. Now that Verizon is also going to start throttling, why not use WiFi when available?

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
On the data issue, the OP states that he/she uses 6-12 GB a month only because no WiFi configured at home or work. I would expect this figure to go down significantly with WiFi configured. I'm on AT&T and I, too, once had unlimited data but with the throttling and the fact that about 80% of the time I use my phone WiFi is available, it wasn't a big deal to give it up, and I have it configured to automatically connect to any of the available networks I use so it is seamless. Now that Verizon is also going to start throttling, why not use WiFi when available?

Exactly. My wife uses about that much a month too because she never connected to WiFi. My kids use her phone for Netflix and Hulu plus. She did a whole billing cycle on WiFi only at home and at work... Used 1.5gb. I think I will be fine.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If you use 8-12gb a month, and you now have 6gb plan, basic math says Verizon could charge you a lot of money if you use your phone like your using now.

If you can get your unlimited data back on Verizon, bring the phone back, get your money/data plan back and go buy a ICON from another vendor or even a used one (keep your insurance on it if you have it, it's tied to the number, not the phone).

Would hate to see you charged big money from Verizon every month because you wanted/needed a new phone.

I use between 6-12gb myself, Verizon will get my unlimited data over my dead body. I hate worrying about things like this and it just takes the worry away.
You're 100% right, they will charge him a ton. If you are going to go the buy your own cell phone route, check out the cricket plans. Runs on AT&T LTE network, unlimited data with 5gb if high speed at $45 a month ($5 dollar autopay discount). Doing the math for my gf's family, all 5 of them could get that plan for a total of $145 a month, as they have a tiered discount structure, the more people that use it ($90 with 5 people). Its a pretty sweet deal if you can live with AT&T coverage and want to buy your own phone.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, if you mostly use cell data, 6 GB won't be enough. However, Verizon is now throttling 6+ GB/month users who are on the unlimited plan.

My friend was wondering why she was hitting 10+ GB a month when all she does is Pandora, some Youtube, and Facebook. Let's see... 5 MB/song, 20 songs/hour, 4 hours/day, 5 days/week. For the month, that's 8000 MB just for streaming music. I told her she has to use WiFi more but at work, she's not allowed access to the wireless network.

As for going back to 8.0 to upgrade to 8.1... no. That doesn't apply to everyone. I actually just got a huge update today. I can't find any developer preview description anywhere (but may have forgotten where it would be tagged as developer preview). It's still Lumia Black, not Cyan. But when you tap on the "I", it launches the browser to the Windows Phone 8.1 page on the Nokia web site and all the new changes that 8.1 brings up.

I do plan on resetting my phone as I've been having problems with my Hotmail updating properly. I can't find a way to remove my Microsoft account to put it back in and fix the problem. So I'm going to reset and see if it goes back to 8.0 or goes to 8.1.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Right I get it now, we don't get cheap phones on plans here in New Zealand and have to pay almost the full price that's why I suggested ebay.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, if you mostly use cell data, 6 GB won't be enough. However, Verizon is now throttling 6+ GB/month users who are on the unlimited plan.

My friend was wondering why she was hitting 10+ GB a month when all she does is Pandora, some Youtube, and Facebook. Let's see... 5 MB/song, 20 songs/hour, 4 hours/day, 5 days/week. For the month, that's 8000 MB just for streaming music. I told her she has to use WiFi more but at work, she's not allowed access to the wireless network.

As for going back to 8.0 to upgrade to 8.1... no. That doesn't apply to everyone. I actually just got a huge update today. I can't find any developer preview description anywhere (but may have forgotten where it would be tagged as developer preview). It's still Lumia Black, not Cyan. But when you tap on the "I", it launches the browser to the Windows Phone 8.1 page on the Nokia web site and all the new changes that 8.1 brings up.

I do plan on resetting my phone as I've been having problems with my Hotmail updating properly. I can't find a way to remove my Microsoft account to put it back in and fix the problem. So I'm going to reset and see if it goes back to 8.0 or goes to 8.1.

As i mentioned in my original post, the reason my data usage is so high is because i never connect to Wifi. I was pretty upset at first because i don't want to have to use Wifi over Verizon's blazing fast LTE speeds (a HUGE reason i would never go with Cricket or any other pay as you go) i'm very happy with Verizon's coverage which outshines every other carrier in my area ten fold. I think once i go on Wifi at home and work (free Wifi at work) and download offline maps, playlists through either Spotify or Nokia Mix Radio...don't know which one to use yet. I will be plenty fine. Bottom line is i need a new phone, cant afford outright price even though i know it would save me money over time. I stand by my decision, thanks to everyone who has given tips, cant wait to show it off to you guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo