From Moto G to Lumia 630.

dadwp8

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

I never found the perfect mobile OS. I used WP 7, WP 8 (with the Lumia 820), iOS, webOS, Blackberry and Android. Lately I had the Moto G from Motorola. The phone was nice and snappy but started to lag and lag and lag. So I decided to give another try with Windows Phone and this time with the 8.1 version. The only phone available in the UK with 8.1 is the Lumia 630 (now is the 930 is around) so I decided to start a 3 week experiment and see if WP 8.1 is for me.
The phone is a budget phone and I still think that 1GB of Ram is the minimum to enjoy WP 8.1 because sometimes the Lumia 630 can be slow. The camera is really average. The phone is nicely build, and the screen is nice, vibrant and the clear black technology is working well. We are very far from HD here but it is actually a good screen. Am I enjoying it? Yes, at the moment (I am aware of some limitation due to 512 mb Ram). I really like Nokia apps and Bing Apps. I still don't understand why Microsoft want to (rumours) sell Mix Radio because this app is amazing. I am writing my 3 week experiment on my blog (I don't think I can write everything here on the Forum). What do you think so far of the Lumia 630. Are you coming from another platform? What do you think about the new WP 8.1?
Nokia Lumia 630 Review Part 1 — dadmadeinBritain.co.uk

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
no one is getting rid of Mix radio , in fact Microsoft is more committed to to Music/services efforts @ satya nadella and @jeo

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Moto G to Lumia 630 is what I'm doing too. I've ordered my Cricket 630 (USA) but I'm not going to port my number yet. My most critical function is the connectivity of the iHeart Radio and TuneIn Radio apps so I'll test them on my usual commutes. I listen to a number of talk radio streaming stations. I had a T-Mobile 521 and the connectivity was spotty, the Verizon Moto G is flawless but I miss the Windows interface. I hated the smaller and smudgy 521 screen so I'm looking forward to the clear black and 4.5".

I know I'm not actually contributing anything factual to the conversation, but I like your headline.

dadwp8

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am a big user of TuneIn Radio and it works fine. The screen on the Moto G was very nice but the Lumia 630 is very bright and nice too. The screen of the Lumia 520 is really washed out. Good luck and let me know. My only thing is that I am missing a bit Google Now and OK Google.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I never found the perfect mobile OS. I used WP 7, WP 8 (with the Lumia 820), iOS, webOS, Blackberry and Android. Lately I had the Moto G from Motorola. The phone was nice and snappy but started to lag and lag and lag. So I decided to give another try with Windows Phone and this time with the 8.1 version. The only phone available in the UK with 8.1 is the Lumia 630 (now is the 930 is around) so I decided to start a 3 week experiment and see if WP 8.1 is for me.
The phone is a budget phone and I still think that 1GB of Ram is the minimum to enjoy WP 8.1 because sometimes the Lumia 630 can be slow. The camera is really average. The phone is nicely build, and the screen is nice, vibrant and the clear black technology is working well. We are very far from HD here but it is actually a good screen. Am I enjoying it? Yes, at the moment (I am aware of some limitation due to 512 mb Ram). I really like Nokia apps and Bing Apps. I still don't understand why Microsoft want to (rumours) sell Mix Radio because this app is amazing. I am writing my 3 week experiment on my blog (I don't think I can write everything here on the Forum). What do you think so far of the Lumia 630. Are you coming from another platform? What do you think about the new WP 8.1?
Nokia Lumia 630 Review Part 1 — dadmadeinBritain.co.uk

I also think that the 630's screen looks stunning. I saw one of my boss's phones, which was the 630.

Anyway, if you say you haven't found the perfect phone yet, why not settle for flagship devices? Moto G and the 630 are low-end devices and so, you cannot expect them to perform really well.

On another note, have you heard about Xiaomi phones? They may be the phone for you, cheap but really works well. I got the Mi 3 for already three weeks and it's working very fine.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
the 630's screen is one of it's highlights - really accurate colours, deep blacks and great whites - one of the best displays at this price. Only problem is that the LCD is edge-lit; you will notice the backlighting along the top of the display when viewing a light background - bothered me at first, but now have gotten used to it. The 512MB RAM slows it down during multi-tasking and the inability to install some games from the store. All this aside though, the 630 is a solid phone with good battery life and I have enjoyed using it.

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to move from a Nexus 5 to a Lumia 635 so I was glad to see this thread.

I'm looking forward to using MixRadio so I hope it doesn't go anywhere. As well as that the Here offline maps and navigation, price and design all look really good. I'm looking forward to getting it but also going that I don't miss Android too much.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Last edited:

dadwp8

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
mart27 MixRadio is great! The camera on the Nexus 5 is better than the Lumia 630-635 but with good outdoor condition you can take good pictures with the Lumia 630.
undulose: I had some flagship devices like the Sony xperia Z, the Note II, but my favourite OS so far was WebOS. In my opinion to enjoy Android you really need to buy a flagship phone: S5, HTC One M8, LG G3, and Nexus 5. With windows Phone 8 it is different, even if I think 1gb ram should be the minimum but 512mb doesn't really affect the overall performance. I change often my phones and I really wanted the Lumia 1520, but before spending all that money I wanted to be sure that WP 8.1 was good for me. That's why I started this 3 week experiment!

madgibbon

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
For the person switching from a Nexus 5 to a 630, I have both. While the 630 is a great phone with a reasonable display for the money, there is a huge difference in performance, screen and camera quality between the two. If I didn't have the option to keep both I would only trade the N5 for a 930.

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
For the person switching from a Nexus 5 to a 630, I have both. While the 630 is a great phone with a reasonable display for the money, there is a huge difference in performance, screen and camera quality between the two. If I didn't have the option to keep both I would only trade the N5 for a 930.

Thanks for that. I'm changing for the os more than the hardware, and to save some money. If I don't like it I'll wait a couple of months to see what new WP and Android phones come out and then make a decision.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
No it's not.

It is. Enjoy the performance difference between Moto G and 630. Moto G is faster, and has android(more apps) and is way more functional than a WP will ever be. Also enjoy seeing "resuming or "loading" screens frequently with the 512MB phone that is the 630 :( .

Unless you're looking to do simple tasks, and is happy with WP interface. The display of MotoG is better too. more PPI than the 630. You might want to use both of them and see for yourself....

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It is. Enjoy the performance difference between Moto G and 630. Moto G is faster, and has android(more apps) and is way more functional than a WP will ever be. Also enjoy seeing "resuming or "loading" screens frequently with the 512MB phone that is the 630 :( .

Unless you're looking to do simple tasks, and is happy with WP interface. The display of MotoG is better too. more PPI than the 630. You might want to use both of them and see for yourself....

I have done. I had a Moto G since launch. At first it was fine but after installing apps and downloading music it lagged and hung a lot. I found it to be very unsatisfying and kept having to delete apps to get it running. I've played extensively with a Lumia 625 and this has convinced me to move to WP with a 635, I found it to be smooth and a much better experience than the Moto G.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

See what the OP said? Haha.

dadwp8

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
mart27, I agree. I had the Moto G since launch. I wrote a review about it and was very happy with it....then apps after apps it started to lag more and more. I had to write a new review that I called: Moto G revisited. Other Moto G users had the same experience, fast at the beginning but more and more lags after a while. At the end it was really frustrating.
Android is a good platform but it needs very high specs to enjoy a smooth experience.
The 630 is a bit limited with 512 mb..that's the only problem in my opinion. The camera on the Moto G is very similar to the one on the Nokia Lumia 630.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720