Terrible light bleed 930 Oled?!? (Photo included)

Tjobbie

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
First of all, i love my Lumia but the 930 seems to suffer from extensive light bleed?!? which should not be possible for Oled screens. Anyway it looks like the same effect tho.
I have a comparison between samsung note 3 and my new 930 on high light setting and i don't like what i see! :eck:

DSC_0056.JPG

this is no joke anymore. Even my previous lcd phone's did not suffer from such light bleed.
No wonder the phone gets hot fast and battery life drains fast.
anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

morgaes

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, my Lumia 930 had the same problem when the brightness was set to high. It also overheated and had bad battery life. I took it in for a checkup today and will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. The light bleeding seems to be a software issue though. Some people on here have noted that if you hard reset the phone and don't update the Display "app" then the screen stays dark. If you decide to try this out, I recommend not updating the OneDrive app either since the latest version breaks the OneDrive integration into the photo hub.

Tjobbie

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
tried the calibration already but with no luck. :straight:
thank you morgaes and for your answer: Think i will send my Phone in 2 for checkup now it's still in warranty.
Thanks alot guys.

Tjobbie

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
don't update the Display "app"
I reset the phone and it's back to black!
Probably very dumb question but what do you mean with dislay APP?
The only update i can find is the normal phone software update which the phone is asking for but i am afraid to apply it, but without i don't have double tap wakup. grrr

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I reset the phone and it's back to black!
Probably very dumb question but what do you mean with dislay APP?
The only update i can find is the normal phone software update which the phone is asking for but i am afraid to apply it, but without i don't have double tap wakup. grrr

The Lumia devices have an extra, standalone display settings app. It still appears under settings, should be towards the bottom

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The display app is in layman's terms is a settings app, all settings applications have a blue background with a gear icon. These apps once updated don't show up on your download history in the store, however they go to the bottom of the list in the settings menu. The current solution is to not update and wait for a subsequent update that addresses this (best way to check is to go into the details screen of the app in the store, look at the version number and date when it was last updated - same principle applies to any other app), therefore recommend you download the wpcentral app (it is free with ads and purchasing the app removes the ads) to stay upto date with latest news re: windows phone. .

Lastly I can see from your post count, I presume your fairly new to windows phone?
If so check out the following thirdparty apps to get started:
Youtube: Metro tube / Mytube
Custom tiles: Transparency tiles, start perfect, skinnery themes (personally use these, but there are way more than these three)
Calendar: Chronos, Simple Calendar, Cal
Weather: Amazing weather hd, bing weather,, weatherflow, vieather (to name a few and there are a lot more)

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to downgrade the display app without a factory reset?

I have just gotten my phone setup properly the way I like it and to have to redo things would be frustrating, I only notice the purple tint when the brightness is low funny enough,

Tjobbie

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
These apps once updated don't show up on your download history in the store, however they go to the bottom of the list in the settings menu.

I'm new with WP indeed. Once the system apps are installed you can't reach them to see what version is installed right?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to downgrade the display app without a factory reset?

I have just gotten my phone setup properly the way I like it and to have to redo things would be frustrating, I only notice the purple tint when the brightness is low funny enough,

You maybe able to with this method, How to uninstall any OEM app on Windows Phone 8 or 8.1 | Windows Phone Central

The other method I can think off is this (however this will allow work if you have dev unlocked your phone and have the preview for developers app installed - you can create an appstudio account which is free (http://appstudio.windows.com/en-us?stay= ), this is how most people got access to the developer preview program)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/281859-how-uninstall-installed-application-tutorial-video.html

I'm new with WP indeed. Once the system apps are installed you can't reach them to see what version is installed right?

You can, use the app called "sysapp pusher" when you tap on an app say on the "display app" within this app it will direct you to the store page for said app.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
You maybe able to with this method, How to uninstall any OEM app on Windows Phone 8 or 8.1 | Windows Phone Central

The other method I can think off is this (however this will allow work if you have dev unlocked your phone and have the preview for developers app installed - you can create an appstudio account which is free (Windows App Studio - Microsoft ), this is how most people got access to the developer preview program)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/281859-how-uninstall-installed-application-tutorial-video.html

You can, use the app called "sysapp pusher" when you tap on an app say on the "display app" within this app it will direct you to the store page for said app.

Thanks for that, yes I do have Preview for Developers on as I am looking forward to next weeks update! I removed the Display app, but unfortunately still notice the purple issue in dark environments when the brightness dims. I don't think Display is the culprit I think the base brightness levels are the issue here.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I got my Lumia 930 yesterday and updated display. Fixed it the purple tint as the instruction in another topic. Now the display in the setting doesn't open also the motion too. Just made a mistake and downloaded sysapp 15 min ago. Installed access point which is for older windows not 8.1, but how to uninstall them or reinstall display?

It's my first nokia

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I got my Lumia 930 yesterday and updated display. Fixed it the purple tint as the instruction in another topic. Now the display in the setting doesn't open also the motion too. Just made a mistake and downloaded sysapp 15 min ago. Installed access point which is for older windows not 8.1, but how to uninstall them or reinstall display?

It's my first nokia

You will only get updates relevant to your o/s so you wont get an "old" system app meant for Wp 8.0 as it wont be compatible.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that, yes I do have Preview for Developers on as I am looking forward to next weeks update! I removed the Display app, but unfortunately still notice the purple issue in dark environments when the brightness dims. I don't think Display is the culprit I think the base brightness levels are the issue here.

Possibly, I don't have a 930 myself so I cant say for certain, any other experienced user with a 930 should be able assist further. As anything else for my side would be just guesses as I would need to do some digging myself (currently waiting out until my sim only contract finishes before I decide on my next phone as it expires in October and there are rumors MS will announce something circa November.)

It's my first nokia

You will only get updates relevant to your o/s so you wont get an "old" system app meant for Wp 8.0 as it wont be compatible.

Also I don't understand, you said you installed an old access point app yet you want to uninstal / reinstall display - care to clarify?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

It's my first nokia

Set the year in time+date to something like 2114 then try to open any system so and it should ask to be uninstalled. ;) Good luck!

Mikeey87

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
First of all, i love my Lumia but the 930 seems to suffer from extensive light bleed?!? which should not be possible for Oled screens. Anyway it looks like the same effect tho.
I have a comparison between samsung note 3 and my new 930 on high light setting and i don't like what i see! :eck:

View attachment 74100

this is no joke anymore. Even my previous lcd phone's did not suffer from such light bleed.
No wonder the phone gets hot fast and battery life drains fast.
anyone else have this problem?
Same here, already exchanged one but the one I got back has the same issue. Except for it only being half of the screen. This also creates the gradient people are talking about, cause the colors are different in the areas that are lit up. Added a picture of the second one.
WP_20140802_09_06_29_Pro.jpg

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm that by uninstalling the system display app black is displayed jet black without any light bleed at the highest brightness settings.
I will wait for the next version of display app hopefully by then Microsoft should have solved this problem.

Also luckily for me I don't have the purple tint hue issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss