Lost sound on handset

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Icon since April 14. I absolutely love the phone, and it was an upgrade from the 928. I've never had an issue with my Icon until tonight when I lost the ability to hear in a call except by speakerphone. Also lost are the on/off tick sound, the alert sound when it gets plugged into the charger, and sound on video playback. The alert sound for email received still works as does the sound for text messages. But I cannot hear a call ringtone, and I cannot hear anyone on the other side of the call if I make a call. Also, when I make a call using my Bluetooth headphone, it does not automatically put the call on the Bluetooth headset, I have to toggle Bluetooth from the call screen.

I had a similar issue on the 928 before it was 3 months old. That phone was replaced with a new 928 and did not re occur. I am really worried that i'm going to have to replace this one too. It is odd that the same issue is occurring. I have powered on/off, tried a soft reset, and tried pulling the sim card. I've done nothing different with the phone today that I didn't do yesterday or the day before. It has not been dropped, has not been wet or in moisture. Right now it is sitting on the charger. I need the alarm to wake me up in the morning and as far as I can tell, that isn't working either!

Can someone help? :cry:

Last edited:

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I let the phone charge overnight. My 4:30am alarm did not sound. Thankfully I had a backup alarm. The kicker is this: When I got up and took the phone off the charger, I powered on the screen and swiped up and boom, there was the tick sound. Powered off the screen, got the off sound. Set an alarm for 15 minutes, and the alarm sounded. Made a test call, I can hear through the ear piece.

This is exactly what happened with my 928. It would 'fix' itself after a few hours, but it became and every other day thing and I had to return the phone.

At the moment I am leary of sticking with Lumia products. From my forum readings last night it looks like nearly every version of a Lumia phone has experienced this bug where the phone thinks there are headphones plugged in and the handset sounds and video playback get disabled. I've never plugged in a set of headphones..just the USB.

Any experts out there with knowledge of this bug that can help me avoid it happening? I don't want to go back to Android, but I need a stable device ;(

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
"where the phone thinks there are headphones plugged in"

I had this issue frequently with my prior phone - an LG enV Touch. Usually happened after plugging in a regular headset and making a call. The solution was to plug in and unplug the headset - which always resolved the issue. Of course, can you say ANNOYING - especially if ... you did not notice the issue until say the next day ... when a headset was not available. So, I started carrying around a stereo male 'headset adapter plug' (Radio Shack) in billfold ... such that I could quickly plug it in and unplug and resolve the issue.

So first ... see if plugging and unplugging in a standard headset resolves this issue ?

scallawag

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Happens to me often because I forget to disconnect the bluetooth when I take the ear buds out of my ears.
I've never had it happen that was not user error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05