Lumia 820 to 920 good upgrade?

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820 and I'm thinking of upgrading is it worth to upgrade right now with all the new devices or should I spring on a 145$ older flagship?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
920 is definitely a good upgrade especially with WP8.1 and Lumia Cyan.
You might want to try out some other devices depending on your budget.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
It is a good upgrade if you are on a budget. I came from a Lumia 810, which is T-Mobile's version of the 820. Better front and rear camera and the 32GB of onboard storage plus Wireless charging.

Tim Weatherby

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
If your sticking with WP and want to upgrade for nothing then 920 is great. I have one and screen is HD, great camera, and just an overall good phone. Should be able to get that free on upgrade with any carrier.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all the responses :) thanks guys but I can't seem to part with my 820 :) in fact I finally found a cyan wireless charging shell brand new on eBay :) I love my cyan and hope the 820's successor has cyan

garry bryant

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820 and I'm thinking of upgrading is it worth to upgrade right now with all the new devices or should I spring on a 145$ older flagship?
I have an 820 also, was thinking about upgrading to the 930, but since the update which you can now download apps straight to sd card and not use up the phone memory any more, is now making me think twice, as it wouldn't take long to fill up a phone memory with no sd card.

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an 820 also, was thinking about upgrading to the 930, but since the update which you can now download apps straight to sd card and not use up the phone memory any more, is now making me think twice, as it wouldn't take long to fill up a phone memory with no sd card.
That's also one of the reasons I have the exact same SOC as the 920 and the fact that I can throw a 64GB card and change my color and battery is making me stay granted I'd love down of the features of a higher tier but I think I'm pretty happy with my little 820

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I think you should keep your L820 mate -- this is coming from a L920 owner. My Mrs has a L820 and I think it takes better pictures than my L920 -- pics look more real if you get my meaning. However, I must admit my L920 take better videos and the front camera is better too.

Furthermore, like you and others have said, you can change the back cover with any colour you want -- unlike the L920. Plus expand your memory larger than the L920. Therefore, do the right thing and keep your 💰 in the bank, until other models become cheaper -- it's not worth wasting 💵 for such a little upgrade, unless you like taking videos or Skype. It's your choice mate. 😉

fdokos

Oct 21, 2011
www.greekberry.com
I had a 820, and "upgraded" (more like switched to) to a 920...only difference for me is the screen quality. The 820 has an amoled screen and the colors are brighter, more vivid, than the 920's lcd...other than that, I miss the fact that I didn't have to use a case on my 820, only change the back and the phone looked brand new, and maybe the sd card option, that I had to copy everything on the 920, instead of just using the sd card I had on my 820 and just be done!

So for me as well, stay with your 820 for now and enjoy it! Same ram, same power, just a bit smaller screen size, not a deal braker though...
Sent from my Lumia 920

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes and No, depending on your needs:

Pros:
a)amazing camera
b)wireless charging in one package so no need to buy an extra shell
c)clear black display
d)sunlight read ability
e) plus a host of many other features

Cons:
a) You will the lose mSD card slot
b) Non-removable battery so you would not be able to use an extended battery or switch out (unless you remove the housing and separate the screen + digitiser etc) if the battery starts misbehaving
c) will lose the ability to switch out the back with ease (you can change the housing on the 920 but it is not for the faint hearted)
d) Some say it is a heavy device, personally I have no issue with the weight - light as a feather imo.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If the 920 you'll be getting is brand new, then I say go for it. If it's used then no, because you'll be getting a device with a battery that's worn out.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No. I would definitely recommend against it.

The Lumia 820 is still a very good device.

Given the fact that the 820 sports a lower resolution screen but the same Snapdragon S4 processor you'll always see performance is better on the 820.

Other than that there are small improvements in the 920.

I would recommend waiting for a Lumia 830 or maybe saving up for a 930.

But until then the 820 should suffice, it's still a decent piece of hardware.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Love my 920. Its durable as hell, runs great, and i love having qi wireless charging integrated. When i bought it I thought qi was neat but didn't think much of it. After using it I don't want a phone without it again.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Love my 920. Its durable as hell, runs great, and i love having qi wireless charging integrated. When i bought it I thought qi was neat but didn't think much of it. After using it I don't want a phone without it again.

Hey, I was just wondering something.

My phone also supports Wireless charging but people say it is much slower than simply plugging your phone into a wall charger, is this true?

Personally I've never tried wireless charging and don't think I will, plus wireless chargers a bit too expensive here.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

My phone also supports Wireless charging but people say it is much slower than simply plugging your phone into a wall charger, is this true?

Personally I've never tried wireless charging and don't think I will, plus wireless chargers a bit too expensive here.

That is because wireless charging is inefficient compared to charging via the micro usb.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I already know that, I just wanted to know how much of a difference it made.

Is it unbearably slow or maybe 10 - 15% slow? Sorry for not being clear in the first post.

No problem, it is fairly slow Qi 1.2 is will be much faster for instance it takes upto 2 hours or more to charge my 920 via usb from say 10% to 100%.. it would take substantially longer with the current version of Qi. However if you need a top up, here and there it is quite handy plus it has the benefit of making others green with envy :winktongue:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

It actually charges faster as it puts out more power than the micro USB can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss