New ICON owner wanting to upgrade to DP8.1

mikeyqp

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
hello all, I recently got my ICON a week ago, and have been waiting for the official 8.1 update since. Obviously, I'm tired of waiting so i wanted to update via the developers preview. However after reading a few threads, I've become a bit hesitant to upgrade and I'm in need for a little reassurance lol. Here are my concerns:

1) battery life is said to be dramatically decreased

2) upgrading to the official 8.1 from 8.1dp would require downgrading to 8.0 via hard reset (I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff and it follows that that's a potential headache i would like to avoid)

3) 8.1dp is generally stable?

4) I had a couple more concerns, but I?m drawing a blank right now =p

Lastly, are there any other pertinent steps, aside from the normal 8.1dp update procedure, that you guys think I should do before or after I upgrade?

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it, it over heats with location services turned on and lags. Wait for the official update to cyan.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

mikeyqp

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't do it, it over heats with location services turned on and lags. Wait for the official update to cyan.

ehhh... From the looks of it, we don't even know if the update is soon. It could be in a month or two. Kind of frustrating.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I hope not! Lol I haven't upgraded yet.. And I'm in dire need of that notification center and the swype counterpart

No i can attest that they didn't. I just updated to it tonight. Battery is down a bit more than usual but i think it's because of all the back end updating its doing, need to sign into all my apps and what not. I do notice tha the phone is getting super hot like others have stated and my wifi signal has dropped pretty significantly. All in all though? totally worth it. It's so much nicer, even with the faults. Who knows how much longer Verizon will hold out for official release.

mikeyqp

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Did u hard reset before upgrading, or anything like that? I read it could help with battery life.

And does upgrading erase all your data and apps?

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
And holy cow...like instantly after turning location services off, my phone cooled down a lot. that's unfortunate considering Cortana uses location services

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My point, why bother if it over heats and you can't use Cortana. The other stuff in 8.1 isn't that big a deal. I can wait. Had it on my icon, lag was horrible.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The Icon is stable with 8.1 on board.
The Icon can develop a wakeup delay - mine did. It can take anything from no time to 3-4 seconds for your phone to wake.
Right now the only fix for the wakeup delay is to reflash back to 8.0.
I suspect the wakeup delay is due to the lack of Cyan firmware.
Not everyone has wakeup delay. I did not for a while. Then it started and never went away until I went back to 8.0, which is where I am staying until Cyan ond official release.
Other WP do not suffer this delay. I have a 928 and HTC 8x, both of which run 8.1 flawlessly.

So, will it work? Yes. Will it develop oddities that annoy? Very possibly. Is it worth a shot? Sure, if you are prepared to either risk having to tolerate a delay or flash back to 8.0. Going back is not hard using the Nokia commercial updater on your PC. It's just time consuming and you have to reload all your apps.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine actually had lag using apps and switching programs. Not bad, but annoying. The biggie for me was how hot it got with location services on. Be driving down the road a think my pocket was gonna burst into flames.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My point, why bother if it over heats and you can't use Cortana. The other stuff in 8.1 isn't that big a deal. I can wait. Had it on my icon, lag was horrible.

I have the Icon with DP and Cortana works fine with locations on... No heating issues... Gets warm when using HereDrive but every phone does. Also have not seen any lag like I did on my 928. Way better upgrade.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
how bad of a drop off is it? Does the benefit of the upgrade outweigh the battery life loss?

Mikey IMHO I would say better off waiting. It is not that far off when you cann get official update in a bit why have that extra headache going DP then Flash back to Black then update to 8.1

Same holds for GDR1 then again GDR1 is likey to be an OS update only and not Firmware update
Hope I have persuaded you to be patient ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea