New Lumia 1520 owner coming from Iphone 5s questions

bradtech

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I was an adopter of Winows Mobile(HTC Touch Pro 2) and Windows Phone 7(HTC Pro 7 & Lumia 900). The Lumia 900 was my last windows phone before purchasing a Lumia 1520. I left mainly to try out the iPhone 5s for a while(never owed a iphone). I missed many aspects of Windows Phone right away after leaving back in Jan of 2014 but appreciated the local apps in my area for news and such on the iPhone 5s. My main complaint has been battery life with the 5s, and after reading/watching many reviews on youtube, websites, and forums claiming 1.5 days of battery life on the 1520 I jumped at the chance even though the 6 inch screen for me is just a little bit big. I was torn between the 1020 and 1520 or just sticking it out with the 5s which I was going to give to my wife to have more space over her 8GB 4s. I felt the battery life would be worth the trade off on ease of portability that I would get with the 1020, or 5s.

I got it yesterday out of the box, and updated it to 8.1 with cyan. It had 8.0 installed on it. I charged it over night to 100% along with my iPhone 5s. I've been doing the same tasks so far, and the iPhone 5s is actually getting better battery life so far. I've went through and disabled almost everything running the background consuming power(iphone is running with lots of stuff going on in background). From the reviews this shouldn't be happening. I was about 20% down by 11AM from 8AM. The 5s was still at 92%. I also noticed while taking pictures last night the top left corner was getting warm/hot and battery life was getting drained faster than my iphone 5s when comparing photo quality which was about even.

How much validity is there to the Windows Phone OS learning your patterns, and optimizing battery life within the first week? I'm going to stick it out but really surprised. I've went through many battery tweak guides people posted. I really do like Windows Phone better than iOS but the main reason for the 1520 was battery life, and future proofing with the snapdragon 800 over the older internals from 2012 still in the 1020/925/920. I was looking forward to some great battery life improvements over the 5s but so far it's been the exact opposite and been worse. Hopefully it's only temporary and the battery life will improve. Friend of mine I play games with has the 1020 he shoots photos and games on. He says he can make it the entire day easily. I was normally around 20-30% by 530 PM on the 5s.

AndyFZ1S

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Batteries need several charge/discharge cycles before reaching their optimal performance, give it a while and it will improve 😊

JTDraper

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Andy is correct. Also, for the first several days, the phone is doing a lot more than usual and will burn through your battery downloading all your contacts, emails, syncing accounts, indexing, etc. Give it three days, then use the Battery Sense app to check app use. You should be able to get it down to around 5% per hour, even with a lot of apps working in the background.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Same... I agree too. My 1520 was draining but after 8.1 and cyan I let the battery discharge to the point of it turning itself due to battery going to 0%. Now....running perfectly...every now and then I make sure my battery is charged to 100% before I go to bed and turn the phone off. Reason being is if you have the phone on during the day and during the night charging it will make the battery burn out quicker and it cant be good for the processor as it heats up...got to give it a rest and cool down at some point right *wink*

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720