SD card for my 1520 - should I allow all apps installed on it?

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I use my internal storage for apps and my micro SD card for everything else. Installing your apps on the micro SD card will hurt their performance a bit, but there is no problem installing them on the micro SD card if you choose to do so. With pretty much just apps installed on my internal storage I have about 10.5 GB used and 4 GB of free space left.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I use my internal storage for apps and my micro SD card for everything else. Installing your apps on the micro SD card will hurt their performance a bit, but there is no problem installing them on the micro SD card if you choose to do so. With pretty much just apps installed on my internal storage I have about 10.5 GB used and 4 GB of free space left.

This..

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
i haven't noticed a performance hit at all. I've installed every program accept the ones that aren't allowed. Of course, if your card gets wonky, you'd lose the apps.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question. I have just ordered a Samsung Pro 90/80MB/s 64GB and was thinking about the same.
I think it depends on the App, the speed/performance of your SD card, and the durability of Lumia SSD storage. So far, I have been thinking 3 scenarios but that's not final yet .

1- Non data-intensive Apps will perform almost the same and should be installed on SD card. Apps for try-and-decide should go to SD card in trail period too.

But there is 2 different scenarios for data-intensive Apps ( Apps with intensive Read, Write, or Read/Write requirement):

2- Read-intensive Apps will preform much better on internal storage, without degrading the SSD and should be installed on the phone.

3- Write-intensive and Read/Write-intensive Apps, including those with a local database, will perform better on local storage too. But there is catch 22 here, the intensive Write can create a lot of wear and tear on the local storage and degrade it over time.
I don't know much about the durability of Lumia's internal storage, but they are SSD drives. As a general rule, a SSD can Read almost for forever without any problem, but have a limited Write-cycle. Intensive Writing will degrade a SSD and kill it over time.

So I'm still keeping the last scenario (Apps with Intensive Write or Read/Write requirements) open. maybe somebody else can shed a light on it.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Exactly!

I use my internal storage for apps. Everything else (photos, videos, movies, documents) all go on the SD card. Phone runs extremely smooth..

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly!

I use my internal storage for apps. Everything else (photos, videos, movies, documents) all go on the SD card. Phone runs extremely smooth..

I would agree with this. I can always move apps to my SD card with Storage Sense if I feel that they would not impact the OS running smoothly.
Namely 2D games. 3D games stay in phone storage as these are performance critical.

I tend to move to SD card and test apps or games. If they have little impact, I leave then there. If I run across problems, I can always move them back to the phone.
I would leave the app install to phone by default... Everything else on SD.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps - internal
Everything else - SD

I don't like the fact that apps are installed externally.. But that's just me. If I were you wait until you filled up the internal.

opusthecat

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I installed and moved all apps to my SD card. Bad move. Check the forums and other sites, theres some major issues going on right now with SD cards getting duplicate and triplicate files (photos, videos and music). But the problem is the cards are getting corrupted in the phone software, ive been through two different big brand name SD cards and my 1520 keeps corrupting them and wont even let me back up the apps to cloud. I would wait until the next update at least to see if MS resolves this issue that is going around to a lot a people with 1520s..

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Some applications appear to be incompatible when installed on SD card.
Has anyone else run into this? If so, for which apps?

I tried subway surfers (the Paris version) after moving it from phone to (one of the fastest available) SD card. It exhibited corrupt behavior, such as missing 3-D graphics elements, and player stuck in place in a scene. Moving the app back to the phone fixed it, so at least the phone/card transfer didn't corrupt the application.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Some applications appear to be incompatible when installed on SD card.
Has anyone else run into this? If so, for which apps?

I tried subway surfers (the Paris version) after moving it from phone to (one of the fastest available) SD card. It exhibited corrupt behavior, such as missing 3-D graphics elements, and player stuck in place in a scene. Moving the app back to the phone fixed it, so at least the phone/card transfer didn't corrupt the application.

Some Apps seams to get buggy when you move them from Phone to SD card.

3 of my ~30 Apps couldn't make it over. They kept loading for a long time, but I stopped them before seeing the effect on the App. All of them had lost their tile graphic/icon too, so it was easy to pinpoint them.

An uninstall and direct reinstall on SD card have fixed all of them.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's nothing to do with 'buggy' apps....

As has been said, photos, vids, etc can go on SD card. Some apps work fine.. i.e - Games. (I have had zero problems with any game transferred to SD. Even the graphically intensive 3D ones) Steer clear of cheap SD cards..

Anything else you are going to run into problems.
Moving ALL your apps to SD cards IS going to create problems and most certainly corruption or duplicates.

Saying that MS should fix this issue is a stupid statement. The only 'issue' is with the user who decided to do that in the first place....

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I installed and moved all apps to my SD card. Bad move. Check the forums and other sites, theres some major issues going on right now with SD cards getting duplicate and triplicate files (photos, videos and music). But the problem is the cards are getting corrupted in the phone software, ive been through two different big brand name SD cards and my 1520 keeps corrupting them and wont even let me back up the apps to cloud. I would wait until the next update at least to see if MS resolves this issue that is going around to a lot a people with 1520s..

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

I had a very similar experience. One day I woke up and ALL the apps I use for the day (Waze, Spotify, Zoiper) were all gray blocks. That sucked since unininstalling, reboot, reinstalling resulted in the same thing a day later.

I had to do a full reset, reformat the SD card and then reinstall all apps to internal storage to fix it.

Wow, that was a PITA.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I moved every app on my backup 520 to the SD card (Samsung 32GB UHS-I class 10). Been over a week and have had no problems at all. Still waiting to get (Cyan/8.1) on my everyday use 820. Notice no difference in performance on the 520. Even tried running Angry Birds on the internal memory, moved it to the SD card and found no difference in the speed of the game. We did the same with my wife's backup 520. No SD card in her 925. Just my experience so far. Can't comment on the problems with the 1520's.

opusthecat

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
It's nothing to do with 'buggy' apps....

As has been said, photos, vids, etc can go on SD card. Some apps work fine.. i.e - Games. (I have had zero problems with any game transferred to SD. Even the graphically intensive 3D ones) Steer clear of cheap SD cards..

Anything else you are going to run into problems.
Moving ALL your apps to SD cards IS going to create problems and most certainly corruption or duplicates.

Saying that MS should fix this issue is a stupid statement. The only 'issue' is with the user who decided to do that in the first place....

Haha yes, people who try to use a built-in feature of their phone are "stupid" when they expect the manufacturer to keep their end of the bargain... Wow.

ndutznul

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
im using toshiba 32gb class 10 on Lumia 625 8.1 GDR1
i installed messaging app (BBM, WA, and Hike) on my phone storage, the other app and also games on my sdcard.
been 2 weeks and no problem yet.
run despicable me smooth and no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss