Talk and surf at the same time with Verizon?

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Making the move from AT&T to Verizon and ordered the Icon. Are you now able to talk and surf simultaneously now on Verizon?

Its been several yrs since I've been on Verizon.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as you are in an area with LTE coverage, any LTE phone will do it. If no LTE coverage then no simultaneous talk and surf....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As said, and I use this all the time (HATED that Verizon didn't support it with it's slow a$$ 3G), if your under LTE you can surf and talk at the same time...

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Who the hell surfs the internet and talks on the phone at the same time? that is some pretty intense multi tasking. Like, give me a real world scenario where you do that, just so i know.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Who the hell surfs the internet and talks on the phone at the same time? that is some pretty intense multi tasking. Like, give me a real world scenario where you do that, just so i know.

Talking to a friend about going to the movies and then needing to look up times while on the phone. Boom!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Talking on the phone and a friend or family member needs a phone number or address in your address book, wife asks what time a Dr. App is look it up on the calendar, confirm you got an email while talking to a business partner ECT. Use it all the time. But I am on at&t and we've had this for many years.

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe people just want to talk with their friends and have something else to do while they talk, like surf the web? Or in my case where I've been interrupted plenty of times while watching por......

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

You must have been on CDMA all your life. Ever get a phone call at work and need to look something up on the computer?

Or on the phone with your bank and need to look up a transaction or text or instant message someone... or join a webex from your phone or boss calls and says check out the email I just sent you so we can discuss..

Last real life test.. while in a 3G area try to use VZ Navigator while on a phone call without leaving the call... ain't happening!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, there were at least a handful of Android phones that not only had LTE but also had SVDO enabled -- absolutely no technical reason to not have data/voice with CDMA. But by the time Verizon was around to getting off their duff and rolling it out, LTE was the main focus.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Also, there were at least a handful of Android phones that not only had LTE but also had SVDO enabled -- absolutely no technical reason to not have data/voice with CDMA. But by the time Verizon was around to getting off their duff and rolling it out, LTE was the main focus.

Actually it was not until they started using GSM, I believe with lte that they gained the ability. Without it there actually are technical reasons why cdma can't do both. Anyone notice SIM cards start being used with Verizon on their new lte phones. Verizon is finally crossing (slowly) over to GSM as their tech was very outdated and GSM is the world standard. Welcome to the 21st century Verizon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually it was not until they started using GSM, I believe with lte that they gained the ability. Without it there actually are technical reasons why cdma can't do both. Anyone notice SIM cards start being used with Verizon on their new lte phones. Verizon is finally crossing (slowly) over to GSM as their tech was very outdated and GSM is the world standard. Welcome to the 21st century Verizon.

That is because LTE is a direct descendent of GSM. To get LTE to work they needed to start using SIM cards. Furthermore, CDMA is not a network by itself, it is a protocol that runs over a network. The fact that you could not talk and surf at the same time over Verizon and Sprint 3G networks has more to do with the network architecture and less to do with it being CDMA.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
actually, simultaneous voice and data on Verizon is just rolling out now... it's because of how Verizon implemented their system. It's not necessarily CDMA vs. LTE vs. GSM.

AT&T used one antenna for voice and one antenna for data. That's how you get simultaneous. But Verizon wanted to ensure better and more consistent calling so both antennas are dedicated to voice during a call.

But it's rolling out later this year...

VoLTE - Verizon Wireless

The next evolution in wireless calling will be available for Verizon Wireless customers in the next few months. VoLTE – or Voice over LTE – is slated to roll out on Verizon’s nationwide network later this year.

Verizon has always been focused on a standards-based, nationwide implementation, supported by a tangible volume of handsets. The company will have a robust line-up of VoLTE-enabled smartphones available when the service launches. And, more and more customers across the country will be able to use VoLTE as select handsets will be VoLTE-enabled through a software update leading up to the roll out of the service, with new devices VoLTE-enabled at the time of purchase later this year.

For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available.

Verizon’s VoLTE will also offer video calling options, including making and receiving video calls directly from contact lists. As part of the VoLTE video calling experience, customers have the ability to change their calls instantly from voice-only to voice and video. The rollout also sets the stage for future enhancements through Rich Communications Services (RCS), which enable things like including large file transfer, more robust group messaging, and more location sharing.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's kinda funny though. We already have all of this. It's called Skype. Google Voice also allows for VoIP calls, and there are third party apps like Metro Talk and IM Pro that allow you to make VoIP calls.

All VoLTE is, is a type of VoIP and nothing more. Just a wireless form of Vonage. Too bad Vonage doesn't have a WP app.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

SVDO *is* CDMA. Also, considering GSM tops out at EDGE, and the so called GSM carriers use (drumroll) W-CDMA for UMTS/HSPA services. CDMA is certainly more advanced technically than TDMA, which is the basis behind GSM. GSM/2G is beginning to be phased out as well.

There are actually plenty of phones using CDMA that utilize a SIM card system (found in Asia, mostly). Verizon and Sprint however did not use this capability for business reasons (read: anti-consumer), not any technical reasoning.

The HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, and Samsung Galaxy S3 at least were capable of simultaneous voice and data on CDMA only (no wifi, no LTE).

(PS I have 3 different non-LTE Verizon phones with SIM slots that were world phones with GSM radios included as well :wink:)

Redleg171

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It's kinda funny though. We already have all of this. It's called Skype. Google Voice also allows for VoIP calls, and there are third party apps like Metro Talk and IM Pro that allow you to make VoIP calls.

All VoLTE is, is a type of VoIP and nothing more. Just a wireless form of Vonage. Too bad Vonage doesn't have a WP app.

Yep, it's exactly like Skype, Vonage, etc. Well, except that it doesn't cost any extra on top of what you already have to pay (to allow people to call you from regular phones). It also doesn't use up your data plan. But yeah, other than those very tiny details, it's identical.

Tally Native

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
8-6-15, I just got the edge and this was happening to me. Called Verizon and got it working. Go to settings, Advance Calling, then Activate Advance Calling. It take about 5min for it to make the change. Five min after you pushed Activate Advance Calling restart your phone.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
8-6-15, I just got the edge and this was happening to me. Called Verizon and got it working. Go to settings, Advance Calling, then Activate Advance Calling. It take about 5min for it to make the change. Five min after you pushed Activate Advance Calling restart your phone.

That's all well and good, but the GS6 Edge is VoiLTE (Advanced Calling) enabled. This is about the Lumia Icon; which is VoiLTE capable, but Verizon never enabled that capability.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That's all well and good, but the GS6 Edge is VoiLTE (Advanced Calling) enabled. This is about the Lumia Icon; which is VoiLTE capable, but Verizon never enabled that capability.

Right - we get simultaneous voice (over CDMA) and data (over LTE).

Verizon has been rolling out some phones with only LTE for a little bit now, though of course they didn't necessarily have that all enabled right away. And the old CDMA network still has better penetration and reach (refarming those frequencies should help, eventually) so it's a mess of sorts currently.

Research your devices ahead of time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett