[OPINION]The 530/630 relationship shows that Microsoft Mobile did not learn from the 620

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
"The 530 is just a small, gimped 630. Oh, and did I mention that it comes in at roughly half the price?"
That sums up the situation.

What the 630 has going for it is the promise of having double the internal storage, a more powerful processor, a larger screen and...ClearBlack.
The advantage the 630 has is in terms of specs. And, bar the Qualcomm 400 processor, since the 630 is roughly on par with the 620 before it (and the 520 as well), you have to actively sacrifice the user experience to actually let the 630 comfortably gain the upper hand. Hence the 4GB internal storage for the 530. (Yes, I know that you can now offload the apps to microSD, but people will still complain.)

To be honest, I'd be fine if they went at it using the same approach they had with the 520, 620 and 720. It should be even easier this time thanks to 1GB RAM being freed up for the mid-range lines.
For the people who weren't around to see the debates these phones sparked, here's how Nokia managed to market these phones:

Undoubtedly, the 520 was the most popular phone here. It's barebones, sure, but it somehow ended up with a bigger battery and screen than the 620 for a lower price. It and its sibling the 521 were pushed down to prices sub-$99.
The 620, while not being as popular as its cheaper sibling, was still a solid phone in its own right. Much better-looking screen, a FFC, and an actual LED flash to boot. Add to that the fact that it was pocket-friendly, and you have yourself a sweet deal, considering the fact that prices dropped thanks to the 620.
The 720 is a pelicular case, considering that it was woefully underspecced compared to its competition, but it still managed its fair bit of respect. Think of it as the poor man's 920 and you'll understand. No joke about it.

TL;DR: Nokia marketed the x2x lines using features. The way they're going at it now, they're marketing using specs.
Sorry, but the 630 is going to have its price drop like a rock soon.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the 630 will sell well. All phones prices drop after release, that's the way of the world. Nothing maintains it's value for long and if you're buying phones as an investment you're going to lose every time.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Cricket jump to 7% of the Windows Phone market (up from nothing) by just selling the 630? That seems pretty incredible.

malman89

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Didn't Cricket jump to 7% of the Windows Phone market (up from nothing) by just selling the 630? That seems pretty incredible.
Probably. Their promo is a free 630 after a rebate VISA card seems to be doing well - the 630 is sold out on their website. I was debating getting one - now I'll have to wait and see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon