Low call volume / possible fix

charlie wax

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Since a lot of us have been complaining on Lumia's 1020 low volume during GSM calls even if it is set on 10/10, i think i might provide a possible fix which i have tried today and there is significant improvement.

First of all...in earpiece/headphone (top middle) inside we have a piece of black rubber.
If you take your SIM tray clip and press it against that rubber you will see that it goes inside and goes back again (somekind of protection against dirt and grease).

OK, the actual first thing i've done was that i've took the common toothbrush, and i pressed it hardly against earpiece like you are cleaning it. Do that for 30 seconds (rub it / clean it).
Then take the SIM tray clip or paper clip and press it against that rubber inside and blow a little bit of air inside (mouth blow).

It worked for me and now acctually when making GSM calls i can remove the phone from head and i can hear the other side just fine, not like it's on speaker but an improvement.

I hope it will help you.

Reminder:
I am on WP 8.1 DvP, factory unlocked L1020 bought in Germany with RM-875_eu_hungary_298.
I live in Croatia and my operator is VIPnet Croatia.

charlie wax

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Completely safe and there is nothing inside to break. Just make sure when you use the pin to move the protective rubber back, press in the middle or on the left side.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Since a lot of us have been complaining on Lumia's 1020 low volume during GSM calls even if it is set on 10/10, i think i might provide a possible fix which i have tried today and there is significant improvement.

First of all...in earpiece/headphone (top middle) inside we have a piece of black rubber.
If you take your SIM tray clip and press it against that rubber you will see that it goes inside and goes back again (somekind of protection against dirt and grease).

OK, the actual first thing i've done was that i've took the common toothbrush, and i pressed it hardly against earpiece like you are cleaning it. Do that for 30 seconds (rub it / clean it).
Then take the SIM tray clip or paper clip and press it against that rubber inside and blow a little bit of air inside (mouth blow).

It worked for me and now acctually when making GSM calls i can remove the phone from head and i can hear the other side just fine, not like it's on speaker but an improvement.

I hope it will help you.

Reminder:
I am on WP 8.1 DvP, factory unlocked L1020 bought in Germany with RM-875_eu_hungary_298.
I live in Croatia and my operator is VIPnet Croatia.

Thanks, and the method looks promising... except for the mouth blowing part as this could force moisture into the device due to the moisture content (not the spewing of salivary material) of the average human breath. Use a can of compressed air or an aspirator for this purpose, instead.

TechieTim

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I took a tooth brush to the speaker slot (at top of display), then blew into it as hard as I could a few times. It's made a big improvement to sound volume.

Oldradioguy2

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
The TTY/TDD solution works very well. The low volume is something of a physical issue, due to the way the earpiece transducer is fitted into the headphone/microphone #2 assembly. I know, because I've torn several 1020's down to repair them. You can lift up the screen and trim away some of the rubber that seals the earpiece slot, but that makes the phone more susceptible to moisture entry.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05