My 1020 is heating up I can't hold it!

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I know it's been a common problem to 1020 users but I still don't know what to do. My 1020 is not yet a month old but I already did hard reset 4 times. I can't pinpoint what app is causing the problem and I am so not comfortable with the idea that some app can cause my 1020 to heat up abnormally. I have a 720 and I just installed the same apps but my 720 is so fine. This is really scaring me. The last incident my phone overheated was today. I've been checking my phone from time to time, no background apps, no sim, just idle. After a 1 1/2 hour trip to work the phone was fine. I've been constantly checking while working until I got really busy so after about 2 hours I checked again. From 60% battery when I left home, it was dead after a few hours just being idle and it was really, really hot.

Please 1020 users, I need your help. I don't know if I'm bringing it back to the store or it's really just some app I have to avoid. I'm getting a little paranoid. If you've read about that crazy sale in the Philippines last month, that's where I got my phone. Now I'm starting to think they put the defective ones on sale but the store is a famous one here and I trust them. I'm doing a hard reset again and will not install anything and see if it heats up but if you guys have any idea what's going on please respond. Thank you very much!

Eric Vasania

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If the heating happens without any apps running in the background (check by holding the back button), just hand it in under warranty, they'll fix it.

zxli

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes, after a camera app crashed, the camera will be left open and generate a lot of heat. A soft restart should fix it. But if not, there are other problems.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I experience the same issue with my L1020. I suspect it's the 3G/4G antenna. Though you mentioned that you have taken out the SIM Card, as a second check try setting the phone to Airplane Mode and observe if it still heats up. The phone may still be trying to look for a service provider even without the SIM, i.e. for emergency calls when you need to make one.

When you have the SIM installed, check the signals of your service provider. Again, as a second check set Airplane Mode On and observe if your phone still overheats. In general, I noticed that when my signals are low, my phone would overheat (even when I'm not charging, but it heats up more when I'm charging). As a workaround, whenever signals are low, I either connect to WiFi or limit my data service. That way, I no longer experienced idle heating up.

PS. To solve the heating issues while charging, I (literally) aim my desk fan at my L1020 while placing it face down (camera up) on a leather case (don't want to get scratches on that screen!). If there's no desk fan available, I also noticed that simply placing it face down on its case reduces heating (I guess the battery at the back can "breathe" more with the phone facing down).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
PS. To solve the heating issues while charging, I (literally) aim my desk fan at my L1020 while placing it face down (camera up)

You seriously do that? :shocked: Why don't you send it in under warranty? I certainly wouldn't live with something like that.

hotmilkgt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
i've noticed that my camera app crashes and leave the lens open when it has difficulty with location for the camera app.

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs guys! I did another hard reset since I started this thread and so far my phone is good. For the first time my phone lasted for 2 days and a few hours with occasional wifi use and a little gaming, just Hill Climb actually. I haven't reinstalled all the apps I previously had except Nokia Camera, App Social, WPCentral and system components with SysApp Pusher. I guess it's really some app that's periodically doing something in the background because the overheating happens often when my phone is idle, not immediately after installation or usage.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Keep an eye on your email, under settings - accounts. Make sure its not continuously Syncing. Also, watch Data Sense and see if any Apps are using more data than they should.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You seriously do that? :shocked: Why don't you send it in under warranty? I certainly wouldn't live with something like that.

Yeah, but that's only to bring it down to room temp (which may be unnecessary). Without a desk fan, it only gets "warm"... just "slightly warm"... cooler than the neck of a person with high fever... provided that it's placed screen facing down. I just wanted to keep it as cold as possible, hence the fan. It's actually charging right now facing down and it feels "just right". :angel:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon